Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
farewell-to-kings-cover-600x600.jpg

My favorite Rush in 5.1 is still Signals, followed closely by 2112 Deluxe (with comic book video). MP is pretty good. AFtK pretty good (a little hissy during Cygnus).
Fly By Night is good, but shows the age of the recording. Snakes & Arrows would probably be better in hi-res.

I hope Rush gets a great 5.1 mix someday! Hopefully Permanent Waves and Hemispheres!

My favorite Rush in 5.1 is still Signals, followed closely by 2112 Deluxe (with comic book video). MP is pretty good. AFtK pretty good (a little hissy during Cygnus).
Fly By Night is good, but shows the age of the recording. Snakes & Arrows would probably be better in hi-res.

I hope Rush gets a great 5.1 mix someday! Hopefully Permanent Waves and Hemispheres!

Love Signals, but it's way too compressed and harsh in surround. 2112 is near the top for Rush, but MP and FtK rocks. Fly By Night has some great bass too!

As a drummer, this album was a huge influence on me. It came out when I was 10 years old and convinced me to switch from saxophone (which I played for just a few months) to snare drum, and then expand to the full drum kit. I bought a book called 'The Drum Techniques of Rush' that broke down all of the drum parts in sheet music, and I analyzed every note over and over again. I played along with the album on my drums, going back and replaying every section until I had it figured out note for note, for probably more than a year. I would even spend most of the day, some days, tuning my drums to get the same sound as Neil's (used to have 8 toms). I almost kind of made myself sick of it after a while, but after so long, it's still a blast to put it on all these years later and check it out, especially in surround. Not the best surround, but a close second to 'A Farewell to Kings' in my book.

cover_15116552016_r.jpg

Wish we could get Steven Wilson remixes for all of them, at least up through Signals or Grace Under Pressure.

I got my Les Paul when I was 16 and started figuring out Rush..I could do a decent "Tom Sawyer" but forget about the solo in "Freewill"!!!!!, then I switched to bass when I was 22 and then we were talking (still have a tough time with "Freewill" ;) )
Yes, I remember back when they used to SELL books with the score for piano, gtr tabs etc. I had "Permanent Waves" and "Exit Stage Left"- taught myself how to read music...come on, it's not that difficult (sight reading is another animal)

Last edited:
I've always liked most prog rock, but Genesis didn't float my boat. As I listen to the atmospheric mix and clarity of Selling England by the Pound, I may change my mind.

DVD-A or BD? (got them both!)
The BD, but I have all of my surround music ripped to flac files on a hard drive and use Kodi to play everything on my HTPC. Anything with video, I have ripped to mkv's, anything without video is ripped to flac. I also use Foobar for SACD ISO's too. :)

I got my Les Paul when I was 16 and started figuring out Rush..I could do a decent "Tom Sawyer" but forget about the solo in "Freewill"!!!!!, then I switched to bass when I was 22 and then we were talking (still have a tough time with "Freewill" ;) )
Yes, I remember back when they used to SELL books with the score for piano, gtr tabs etc. I had "Permanent Waves" and "Exit Stage Left"- taught myself how to read music...come on, it's not that difficult (sight reading is another animal)
That's awesome. Probably the two toughest ones for me to play on drums is Freewill and parts of La Villa Strangiato. :confused:

Sounds warm and awesome on my system. And so much better than any other version I've heard. And I swear I hear an alternate vocal or guitar take now and then.
I still enjoy the album a whole lot, and on my setup it does sound pretty decent, but out of all of the Rush albums in surround, on my particular setup this one seems to give me a bit more ear fatigue than the others. I do really love all of the little noises, effects, and dialog at the very beginning of Camera Eye in surround. :upthumb

I still enjoy the album a whole lot, and on my setup it does sound pretty decent, but out of all of the Rush albums in surround, on my particular setup this one seems to give me a bit more ear fatigue than the others. I do really love all of the little noises, effects, and dialog at the very beginning of Camera Eye in surround. :upthumb

Oh, I have nitpicks with every single Rush 5.1 mix to date. MP has grown on me over the years. Maybe from a 6 to an 8. I wish the drums wrapped around the room a little more. Other than that it's pretty good.
I would loooove to see a mixing master take a crack at any Rush album, especially FBN through Power Windows. There are interesting moments on all the other records too, but lots of filler on some.
So sad that Bottrill didn't do a 5.1 mix of Vapour Trails when he remixed the album in 2013.
There are several great sounding concerts too! At least to these ears. R30 and Time Machine rock on my system and I like the performances reasonably enough. Snakes & Arrows Live is pretty good too.

Brilliant, poetic song writing. Excellent sound quality with crystal vocal/instrumental clarity and rock-solid bass. What's not to like? The mix is not very discrete, so those who dislike ambient mixes should avoid.

Honestly w.r.t. musical enjoyment, this title snuck up on me. "Shing Brother Shining Sister" by Lackie Leven has leapt into my top ten album list.

Back