Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't quite finished listening to the new 5.1 surround mix of "A Farewell to Kings" yet (starting "Cygnus X-1" now) but so far, "Eye in the Sky" is the better 5.1 surround mix for me (and neither are quite as good as "Black Sea"!)

:)

I haven't quite finished listening to the new 5.1 surround mix of "A Farewell to Kings" yet (starting "Cygnus X-1" now) but so far, "Eye in the Sky" is the better 5.1 surround mix for me (and neither are quite as good as "Black Sea"!)

:)
Interesting. I agree Black Sea is great. Going to listen to Farewell now, got hung up on INXS KICK, which is better than Black Sea. Back in 45 after I listen to Farewell.

Symbion Project Misery In Soliloquy DTS 4.0 DVD, well done, currently Exercise In Futility. Surrounds well used, low end is good too.:thumbs: More physical discs please.

A fine little album with an equally fine quad mix. :D

Moody Blues-Seventh Sojourn SACD

20171129_181136.jpg

And later tonight......I'll give this....my first ever DVDA.....a good listen to.

I like this very much for an early 5.1 mix from......John Kellog (I think?)

Only had DD capable DVD player then, and it sounded very impressive to me (Lotz o surround front to rear etc.) :smokin

Emerson, Lake, and Palmer-Brain Salad Surgery DVDA (1999/2000)

20171129_181123.jpg

I am getting settled in to do a comparison between the two surround releases of A Farewell To Kings. I think I will use Xanadu with all it little noises. Any other suggestions ?
I’m not trying to find out which is better, I believe that the new SW is already better, just want to educate myself. Many times when doing comparisons, it’s not if it’s sonically better as much as it is at what cost . You know there going to be selling us the same recordings over and over until we die.

Rush "A Farewell to Kings"... as marpow said, this sounds great LOUD! Cygnus X-1 is killer!!!

Listened to it twice now. Neil's wrap-around toms are amazing. So glad Steven and Rush decided to go full-on surround with this. Amazing dynamics and sound quality is the best I've ever heard for this album. Wow! Gonna take a Toto - IV palette cleanser and listen again. Again, Wow! :)

Listened to it twice now. Neil's wrap-around toms are amazing. So glad Steven and Rush decided to go full-on surround with this. Amazing dynamics and sound quality is the best I've ever heard for this album. Wow! Gonna take a Toto - IV palette cleanser and listen again. Again, Wow! :)

YES... the wrap-around toms are the key!! Steven could remix every Rush album using this effect only, and the results would be great! (Of course, we know he would do more than that with his mixes, but just sayin’...)

XTC - Black Sea... This sounds great!!! This could be my favorite of the XTCs released so far (from a musical standpoint)... of course the mix and fidelity are phenomenal. I like how you can have favorite songs on an album in stereo, but then you listen in surround and the “lesser” songs suddenly grab you too!

And later tonight......I'll give this....my first ever DVDA.....a good listen to.

I like this very much for an early 5.1 mix from......John Kellog (I think?)

Only had DD capable DVD player then, and it sounded very impressive to me (Lotz o surround front to rear etc.) :smokin

Emerson, Lake, and Palmer-Brain Salad Surgery DVDA (1999/2000)

View attachment 31402

For me, this is really the best...

Back