Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Switched On Bach Q8 from DVD-A; this was made by Audio Spectrum ages ago. Very nice sound in the office and also in the car (had to get to a child’s BD party). What is nice but also whacked up is the running order of the Q8 was changed to that of the SQ vinyl album. Only issue is that this album (my first Q8 in 1972) is burned to memory in the Q8 sequence! I’m going to make me one like that soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2h1RHQ1.jpg

Love the Bruce Hornsby "sound" of the opening track - love the rest too :smokin

I've really never taken him seriously..... ;) I realize that's what you are supposed to NOT do....maybe I need to look that title up....

The song "Pancreas" is a classic. Beach Boy-like harmonies all around the room, and a complete medical class on pancreatic function. some nice surround on this disc:)

KGfjFVb.jpg

"Call you every night and haaaaang uuuuuup"

Love Weird Al, he's so funny :banana:

Nice surround mix.

I love Weird Al in occasional small doses.
This album features an astonishingly great surround mix, FWIW. Kudos to Al for taking the risk.
I like other Weird Al albums a bit better, but this one doesn't disappoint at all and gets repeated spins around my house.

Jethro Tull(with an assist by Steven Wilson)-Heavy Horses DVD...sounds superb..as I mentioned on another thread...this is very "Aqualung" like...vocals are outstanding and prominent.. but integrated with the music...nice balance(y)

The Painter - Paul Anka (Quad)

a 'late era' Quad (and United Artists' only QS-encoded Quad LP release) from 1976
that never gets talked about by Quaddies online.. and blow me down but I've enjoyed it so much while recording in the Surround Master decode that i'm playing it all over again for the 2nd time in quick succession!

stylistically it comprises a number of real stonking powerhouse ballads, that he really belts out with all his heart (and lungs! ..far be it for little old nobody me to critique a legend.. but at times it feels like he may be "oversinging" a tad or rather overreaching himself/his vocal range, if you know what i mean :eek: but bloody hell does he give the tunes his all..! ) among all the big belting of the 'get yer lighters out' type singalong numbers there are a couple of deceiving songs that start slow and sultry but surprisingly turn into fun and funky toe-tapping uptempo numbers!

its almost worth checking out this album for his backing band if nothing else! the liners credit a veritable who's who of the creme de la creme of 70's session musicians; including Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenour, Dean Parks, Jay Graydon, Joe Sample, Jim Gordon, Jim Horn... and the talent backing him is most evident throughout.

there's a rather neat use of the opening track ("you bring out the best in me")
with its catchy refrain used throughout the album, both during an instrumental track partway through and in a nifty reprise at the very end.

"you bring out the best in me, you do..."

:music

Van Morrison -BBC 2016. DTS DVD

Not a bad surround mix , I think anyways . A little better than just ambience , mixed by the beeb . Celtic soul master continues in his later yrs.:smokin

Contains a few of his classics as well , and he has a stellar session band . My only nitpic might be that his vocals coulda been a touch louder , but well hell...he is 70 yrs old with this performance .

the 2nd concert (on cypress ave ) is only in stereo fwiw , but contains mostly the same set . No loss.

It's a special event when Van Morrison has anything.....IN SURROUND ! :D(y)

20180227_193848.jpg20180227_194010.jpg

Back