Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I've gone and dug it out too! You guys are very persuasive...
View attachment 37308

I have actually given a fair amount of thought to how ES' take on it might sound, based on the style of his released Steely/DF 5.1 mixes. It would definitely be sonically superior and probably much more faithful to the original in terms of studio effects (reverb).

However, I'm doubtful it would be as discrete or daring as the quad mix is.

For me, the one that really needs the ES touch is Pretzel Logic. The quad is terribly unexciting on that one, and it's been confirmed that ES completed that mix over 10 years ago (the rest were never even attempted). I'm not holding my breath though...

It's been awhile , but I'm certain I read ES had Pretzel , bits of AJA , and Royal Scam completed .

Regardless of what is and what is done , we need Steely Dan's catalogue in surround (and quad ), plus the solos , plus the live material ,

K-reist !! UMG has got to get it together for us Danphiles .

I wouldn't be surprised if Warner reissued a box set of one or more of the already issued surrounds from either Steely Dan's , or Fagan's solo albums for 2019.
(Perhaps even re mixed for atmos, etc.)

Plus in my opinion obviously he's had better material like EC Was Here should have been given the same treatment :). Which is included but no 5.1 for that :-(

All 3 surround mixes are great by me on that EC Give Me Strength . Always loved those two quad mixes btw. Had em in CD-4 back in the day.
Still have Crowd in quad DTS CD , and the Mike Gausauski mix of 461 , but E.S. does that up better on this blu-ray .

My only bone of contention would be that there was no quad mix of EC Was Here , although two websites identified it as included on the blu-ray..... in quad. OH WELL .

That aside I think Give Me Strength has 3 stellar mixes and should not be overlooked. :)

Now you got me on the EC kick ,

So ok Give Me Strength. 2 quads and E.S 's 5.1 on BLU-RAY

And a twinge of Christmas , still.

VInce Gauraldi - Charlie Brown's Xmas (3 different surround mixes btw , in DTS and DD )

Then some,

Cowboy Junkies - Whites Off Earth Now. SACD

Attachments

• 20180824_183440.jpg
    20180824_183440.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 20181224_192952.jpg
    20181224_192952.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 20181224_193016.jpg
    20181224_193016.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 20181128_203007.jpg
    20181128_203007.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 84
Now you got me on the EC kick ,

So ok Give Me Strength. 2 quads and E.S 's 5.1 on BLU-RAY

And a twinge of Christmas , still.

VInce Gauraldi - Charlie Brown's Xmas (3 different surround mixes btw , in DTS and DD )

Then some,

Cowboy Junkies - Whites Off Earth Now. SACD

Today I was looking into other Monster releases in surround and ordered Charlie's Xmas one off Discogs. I hope it jingles around my speakers!!

Lots of sport watching today.
Manchester Utd won 4 1 v Bournemouth...some fantastic football in that game.
Now on American Football..its the interesting time for so many teams.

And all this chat about the Zoom DVD made me search out my copy. Fancy
me forgetting about this one, being an ardent ELO fan..der. ELO in surround!

I always thought that Jeff didn't take the ribbing, by the audience, of the title Zoom too well. And I reckon that is why he had an initial reluctance to tour again in the USA. Good job he changed his mind!!

Last edited:
Truth! We loved it.
No, don't have the Concord disc. Recommended, I assume?

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

Yes, very highly recommended: https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=2312

BTW, I wish Dutton Vocalion would release Dave Grusin's incredible WEST SIDE STORY on multichannel SACD [it's only available as a DTS 5.1 DVD] since they have been releasing some GRT titles on Stereo SACD [Angie Bofill and Dave Valentin].

Last edited:
Bob Dylan - Live 1964
SACD DSD 5.1

I likewise am playing that AF mch SACD. Truth be told.....Dylan's an undeniably brilliant songwriter ... but that nasal voice.....Saw him once live in the 70's and was disappointed...especially after seeing Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band with Clarence Clemmons a week before. NO comparison ...... The Boss was BOSS!

Back