Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so damn smooth . . . clean and cool . . .
1592292354385.png
Bryan Ferry Boys and Girls

POLL

here's the answer to my mix question, from the man:
Hi, y'all. First off, thank you again for your support and interest in ABC and especially thank you for your honest views/opinions particularly about "A Scar Is Born". For full transparency, yes, the "...Scar..." surround mix was done that way on purpose. I mix (stereo and surround) according to the album's context. "As It Should Be" was a dream-like collection so I wanted to present it as lush and immersive. "A Scar Is Born" was based on my mental state before, during, and after a military deployment to Afghanistan, and in that regard, the mix was/is very direct and forward-focused (much like the deployment was for me). It definitely wasn't a dream nor dreamlike and thus those songs I couldn't represent similarly to AISB. The deployment and "...Scar..." were the experiences of having so much information "directly and in my face (forward)" with activity in the back to represent information going on "in the back of my mind" if that makes sense. I'm sorry that Scar's mix wasn't as enjoyable to some of you as AISB but I wasn't going to turn the subject matter into something that it wasn't. And in truth, I think "...Scar..." is more aggressive than AISB as it is much more "in your face" both mix-wise and musically (unless you meant aggressive as more exploratory?). If it helps any, the next ABC album, the soundtrack to the movie "Zohe", will also be contextually inspired (a fictional narrative movie) and hopefully, it will be similar to a movie where there are forward-based moments along with immersive moments as well. The plan is for "Zohe" to be a combination of AISB and Scar mix-wise. If all goes well, it should be available around October/November of this year. Again, thank you all for your honest opinions and views and hopefully the "...Scar..." mix doesn't turn you from being a fan (we lovingly call "Freaks") of A Beautiful Curse and glad that at least you enjoyed the music in spite of the mix. ;) Right on, right on.

That's from Kenny James (aka A Beautiful Curse). And that's what I'm talking about--his explanation helps my appreciation! Mad Love, Brother James--fly your Freak Flag HIGH!
I’m here to formally issue an apology to Kenny James for my harsh criticism of his A Scar Is Born surround mix.

Although I still feel the rears could have been engaged in a more aggressive fashion, I had no right to impugn Kenny’s mixing choice. After bumping my rears a notch or two, I was able to achieve a nice surround experience as there is complimentary info to be heard.

A Scar Is Born features very eclectic and beautiful music that deserves to be heard!

Once I complete my exams, I have quite a bit to go through; Bruce Snood, The Pineapple Thief, Steven Wilson live material and Porcupine Tree offerings too. Admittedly, I've yet to tackle the John Lennon Boxset of Imagine, so that's on the list.
Welcome in @JT1770 - there's never ending studies here to continue with the audio portion of an education (I learn something new almost daily!)

Once I complete my exams, I have quite a bit to go through; Bruce Snood, The Pineapple Thief, Steven Wilson live material and Porcupine Tree offerings too. Admittedly, I've yet to tackle the John Lennon Boxset of Imagine, so that's on the list.
Bruce Snood! :D
All the best for your exams, JT, and welcome aboard.

Back