Maria Maldaur Fanning the Flames

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcsten

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Trying to find out if anyone has info on this disc. I love her but have never heard this one. Its a Telarc and is, I think, a DTS disc, I assume before SACD. I have her collaboration on SACD surround Telarc and its terrific in my opinion. Is Fanning the Flames actually surround? Thanks!

Trying to find out if anyone has info on this disc. I love her but have never heard this one. Its a Telarc and is, I think, a DTS disc, I assume before SACD. I have her collaboration on SACD surround Telarc and its terrific in my opinion. Is Fanning the Flames actually surround? Thanks!

It would either be Dolby Surround or Circle Surround, I think. Or "Spatializer." See this thread (@fredblue mentions the Maria Muldaur disc):
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/telarc-surround-sound-cds.18167/

I have the Southland of the Hearts CD in front of me. It is spatializer. Flames is misplaced around here somewhere, i think the same, when i find it i will report!

I guess my question is: what's the best way to hear those Spatializer effects the way they were intended to be heard back in the 90s? (Or, for that matter, in a better way than was available back then.) Every DAW program seems to have a "spatializer" plug-in these days. Are they all the same? Is "spatializing" just a way of recording regular stereo so that playback is psychoacoustically "enhanced," or does proper playback actually require/benefit from a special decoder of some sort?

That's my question too. Does it playback well through SQ such as a tate? Or is it various matrix? Or none of the above?

Some, but not all, of the Telarc Spacializer CD's make mention of playing the discs back in both Dolby Surround and Circle Surround, right around the same area where the Spatialzier is mentioned in the "technical" section of the insert. So at the time in the late 90's, those would have been the recommended playback decoders. A Shure Acra-Vector decoder probably would do well also.

For modern day playback? I'd suggest giving them a spin with Dolby Prologic II or DTS decoding. Fredblue (and others) discuss these Telarc Spatializer disc this thread also. If you've got an older SQ or QS decoder it would be interesting to compare, and maybe note for each album, which decoding method sounded best for you, that way you know what to use the next time you play it.

Both of the threads cited got me going on looking out for these Spatializer discs, just as another one tipped me off to Dolby Surround discs. And with Muldaur, she's even got a third Telarc Spatializer CD: "Meet Me Where They Play the Blues" Telarc CD-83460. I was on a recent deep trawl for surround discs, and there it was staring me in the face, where I had already picked out "Southlands of the Heart" and didn't notice it. These sort of surprises really put me in a heightened awareness when I see Telarc, Chesky, BMG/RCA/Victor, etc. on the spines of CD's!

Back