Marillion - Radiation 2013 new 5.1 mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone test drive this yet.
Sounds that can't be made was very spotty to me, writing and mix wise just sounds off. Guess the title of album was accurate.
Radiation-I do not know this album so will wait to hear from people here.

peter

Sounds that can't be made was very spotty to me, writing and mix wise just sounds off. Guess the title of album was accurate.

peter

Mines in the mail... I'll report back when I've had a listen...

I have it right now in my player, but listen first to the bonus concert where they played the complete
Afraid Of Sunlight album.
For this concert alone it was very worth to have it.
The sound is so great and I love this album (that is why I play it first)
Just now they play the last track.

After that I will switch to the Radiation album.
But for sure....the songs are bad, compared to the AOS album.

I will report. :)

peter

I've just listened to Radiation for the second time. I agree that its not one of Marillion's better albums. The last 3 tracks however are superb. As for the 5.1 mix, well its not Steven Wilson standard or immersive by any means! A bit like the Sounds 5.1. There is definitely discrete stuff coming out of the rears - backing vocals, tinkling piano, synth sounds, strumming acoustic guitars. But there's not enough of it, and its mostly not loud enough. I don't think the centre channel is used much, if at all.

That said, the sound of the album is a big improvement over the original cd, and the bluray is crankable.

The concert videos are, like the Sounds set, excellent. For me, these sets are worth getting for these concerts alone, so the 5.1 albums are a bonus :mad:@:. The sound on these concert blu rays is 5.1 dts hd ma, but there's not much going on behind. Excellent sound as live videos go though.

I finally couldn't resist and bought this set, mainly for the Radiation remix. My justification was: Ok, it's not such a bad album once you skip the first three tracks!
Anyway, as it's quite late here and cannot raise the volume I was checking the Blu-ray contents and noticed that the 5.1 mix has got two audio streams, both looking similar from the Oppo display.
Did anybody notice this?

All I can say is the band is persecuting me with these throw-away 5.1 mixes. Radiation is blah at best. rears are two low & not enough discrete elements in the mix.

My second favorite band of all time who has relationships with Steve Wilson, Simon Heyworth, Nick Davis & I will even add Chris Kimsey. All they can muster is this extended stereo mix.

I can only think the band throws these mixes on their live releases because their current producer wants to dabble in 5.1 and also to quite the unrest of a small, vocal minority in their fan base.

Believe me - I would love nothing more than to plead the case for non-marillion fans to give the band a try in 5.1.
I just can't and nothing, I mean nothing is sadder than that. :(

Still though - their stereo efforts are mostly wonderful. I stand by the rule-of-thumb that if you like the less proggy elements of Steve Wilson & Porcupine Tree (Lightbulb Sun, Stupid Dream) than you may enjoy the band's Marbles, Brave & Sounds That Can't Be Made albums. Lots of layers to the music.

Believe me, I'm not biggest Mike Hunter fan and I'm enjoying a lot the 2003 AoS set. It's more a 3.1 mix with H's voice isolated in the center speaker and echoes and effects on the rears (like the intro to King). But it sounds good, really good

Why on earth did the choose to put lead vocals on the concert mix in the center speaker and no activity at all at the center in the Radiation mix?

I finally couldn't resist and bought this set, mainly for the Radiation remix. My justification was: Ok, it's not such a bad album once you skip the first three tracks!
Anyway, as it's quite late here and cannot raise the volume I was checking the Blu-ray contents and noticed that the 5.1 mix has got two audio streams, both looking similar from the Oppo display.
Did anybody notice this?
Yes, I noticed this. Every track of the Radiation Mix has two identical DTS HD MA streams with 24/48 5.1, no HiRes stereo and 96 kHz as proposed.

I would love to acquire this release one day...
Hopefully Marillion represses the Blu-Ray set at some point, cause it is still out of stock right now...
the time has come!
Available again now: Breaking Records

I already got my copy (ordered last week from Marillion.com) and I'm very happy to finally have this in my collection!

:)

Back