Matrix Quad CD's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry if I missed the postscript, but what was the verdict on this, @DuncanS?
I'd say a definite may be! i.e. some tracks sound immersive like (so akin to how the Knebworth Matrix H BBC transmission decode in Involve Mode), others not at all, so its easy to be fooled one way or the other. I also suspect that only the BBC released LP was SQ encoded.
My earlier post Matrix Quad CD's

Yes Duncan , I noticed the new Genesis at the BBC is sans the 75 Concert .

But on the upside, we'll sort of , they did include 5 tracks from 78 Knebworth which s/b HJ , provided there is no remix.

Although the SQ indicater is not on the album cover ...I went ahead and ordered this very early quad recording., as it's an S I QUAD Album.
Of note is that there are 4 different album covers of this particular recording. Three of which do say SQ matrix ...weird that.
And the liner notes do not say remixed for this cd , so I'm happy with this SQ rarity.

Stan Kenton - Live At Butler University STD 1058 (original album # ST 1058) SQ

20230208_160800.jpg
16758941380441115710848365485381.jpg

These 2 SQ encoded CD'S came in the mail recently.
Both were S.I....single inventory when originally released on LP .

In fact Stan Kenton had 4 SQ double albums released in the early 70's , on the Creative World Record Company . ...and were some of the first SQ albums issued with the CBS SQ quad System.

These SQ CD'S counter parts , are from the mid to late 80's .

20230216_123300.jpg

These 2 SQ encoded CD'S came in the mail recently.
Both were S.I....single inventory when originally released on LP .

In fact Stan Kenton had 4 SQ double albums released in the early 70's , on the Creative World Record Company . ...and were some of the first SQ albums issued with the CBS SQ quad System.

These SQ CD'S counter parts , are from the mid to late 80's .

View attachment 88662
Don't know either, but I did instantly recognise the cartoon style of Hart, then I noticed the little SQ logo!

Received some more quad matrix cds last week.

Two of which I never had , but luckily they received a reissue this past January.

This one I did have and still have my original SQ LP .

Gilles Zeitschiff , in a jam featuring The Late Dr. Timothy Leary.along with Klaus Schulze and Ash Ra Tempel (Manuel Gottshing's band)
20230316_121958.jpg

Came in the mail recently.

John Lee Hooker - Never Get Out Of These Blues Alive (QS)

According to the CD liner notes , this was recorded in September 71. I find that interesting, as that would mean ABC Records artists had access to a Sansui Encoder at the very earliest...Autumn of 1971 .(maybe even earlier)
This was recorded at The Village Recorders in L.A.

ABC/MCA Records CD (QS)
20230404_121243.jpg

I fancied some John Lee Hooker in QS, but the only one I could find on amazon.co.uk is this re-issue which has Stereo on the booklet
1680638381136.png
1680638405301.png

Should still be encoded though.

It was and is a Single Inventory QS mix.

Unless they remixed the entire album.

BTW My copy is also a European edition , I think from Germany 🇩🇪.

Also only tracks one to seven s/b quad ?

No wait ...these are the original tracks.

View attachment 90263
Good to know its single inventory, I'll go on Discogs and find a copy like yours, the See-For-Miles remasters were always good (the label went bust I think) but having Quad tracks interspersed with stereo ones might be odd!

Back