Matrix Quad CD's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an original record of Time Machine and a German cd with both Dzyan albums. It could be a bootleg I can't tell.
No music company name the tray insert says zwei vollstandge alben on the hinge edge.

Last edited:
Real Gone Music has a sale on their Black Jazz titles , so I picked up six @ 6 or 7 bucks apiece.
They're not all quad titles , but a quick check for what is and what are not is readily available. And if anyone wants ...I can gladly supply the encoded Sansui QS quadraphonic listing.

Out of the six I recently purchased ...4 retain their Quad notations.

Black Jazz Records were a division of Ovation Records , run by Gene Russell and Dick Schory (president Ovation).
Some interesting titles were released to promote the Black artists of the 70's.

Anyway some titles : Henry Franklin , and Roland Haynes...

20230110_172812.jpg
20230105_212727.jpg
20230105_212807.jpg
20230105_212756.jpg

Real Gone Music has a sale on their Black Jazz titles , so I picked up six @ 6 or 7 bucks apiece.
They're not all quad titles , but a quick check for what is and what are not is readily available. And if anyone wants ...I can gladly supply the encoded Sansui QS quadraphonic listing.

Out of the six I recently purchased ...4 retain their Quad notations.

Black Jazz Records were a division of Ovation Records , run by Gene Russell and Dick Schory (president Ovation).
Some interesting titles were released to promote the Black artists of the 70's.

Anyway some titles : Henry Franklin , and Roland Haynes...

View attachment 87254View attachment 87256View attachment 87257View attachment 87259
Wow--seems like just yesterday we were discussing Real Gone's on-again/off-again reissue series and the fraught state of the ownership claims on the Black Jazz label. Their license period must be up already?

Thanks for the tip, Fizzy.

Sure wish we knew whether discrete quad masters survive for any of these titles. They're all worth owning, to one degree or another, but the two (?) that were released on quad reel sound so much better, quad-wise.

@J. PUPSTER, @Clement: any you still don't have?

Wow--seems like just yesterday we were discussing Real Gone's on-again/off-again reissue series and the fraught state of the ownership claims on the Black Jazz label. Their license period must be up already?

Sure wish we knew whether discrete quad masters survive for any of these titles. They're all worth owning, to one degree or another, but the two (?) that were released on quad reel sound so much better, quad-wise.

I was just making a mental note to go check on my Real Gone CDs! Gil-Scott Heron has me transfixed through the SM, so it may be a bit before i can pull myself away! All of @fizzywiggs41 photos look familiar; i recollect my buying principle being mention of Quad on discogs.

I need to cross reference with download sites for HiRes 96x24

And these 2 are sans the original Quadraphonic Notations.
No matter they still contain the QS Encoding.

Kellee Patterson -Maiden Voyage....who dated Johnny Carson for a few yrs.
and
The Awakening - Hear Sense and Feel

View attachment 87263
Did you order all these a while ago, @fizzywiggs41? Real Gone's site doesn't show any of these on sale right now, unfortunately. Or maybe it was just a "flash" sale. . . .

Last edited:
Did you order all these a while ago, @fizzywiggs41? Real Gone's site doesn't show any of these on sale right now, unfortunately. Or maybe it was just a "flash" sale. . . .

Oh that's too bad. Yes I ordered them around the end of November IIRC.
The sale was for at least a month , as I went back and forth a few times before I decided to jump at the sale.

I bought one at the regular price about a year ago , and wanted only a couple more....but the sale price sealed the deal ,so I bought six on sale .
And was planning to get a few more...but if the sales off ..I can wait .

I like that these quad black jazz albums state , all tapes are encoded as well.
Well at least on 5 of them , something that was lacking on Ovation's QS titles..even though they were encoded as well.
16741707899021607628467817992190.jpg

Ok well , now back to SQ and a KrautRock favourite featuring Manuel Gottshing's styling and guest artist Klaus Schulze.

Ash Ra Tempel - Join Inn , SQ Quad CD from 72 .

Sadly...Manuel Gottsching left the planet approximately one month ago in December 2022. But he leaves behind an incredible legacy in music .

Some good news to report though, is that most of the elusive Cosmic Couriers SQ quads are being reissued this month , many of which contain Manuel Gottsching's Psychedelic styling on guitar and electronics. Additionally some will also have Klaus Schulze's contributions... so that's bonus to me.

😊
20230105_212550.jpg
20230110_173014.jpg

Believe it or not there were an additional SEVEN more Black Jazz Quad albums , but all were released in amongst the Ovation labels last QS Quadraphonic albums . These were the encoded in Sector 4 QS series on Ovation Records.

Cleveland Eaton - Instant Hip ..OV - 1703
Doug And Jean Carn - Higher Ground ...OV - 1702
Henry Franklin - Blue Lights ...OV - 1801
The Awakening- Brand New Feeling ...OV - 1802
Gene Russell - Listen Here ...OV - 1803
Calvin Keys - Criss Cross ...OV - 1804
Rudolph Johnson -..... OV - 1805

Maybe...just maybe Real Gone Music , will add these disc's in the near future as well.

Believe it or not there were an additional SEVEN more Black Jazz Quad albums , but all were released in amongst the Ovation labels last QS Quadraphonic albums . These were the encoded in Sector 4 QS series on Ovation Records.

Cleveland Eaton - Instant Hip ..OV - 1703
Doug And Jean Carn - Higher Ground ...OV - 1702
Henry Franklin - Blue Lights ...OV - 1801
The Awakening- Brand New Feeling ...OV - 1802
Gene Russell - Listen Here ...OV - 1803
Calvin Keys - Criss Cross ...OV - 1804
Rudolph Johnson -..... OV - 1805

Maybe...just maybe Real Gone Music , will add these disc's in the near future as well.
Didn't some (all?) of those Ovation titles consist of recycled/mixed-n-matched material from Black Jazz?

Ok well , now back to SQ and a KrautRock favourite featuring Manuel Gottshing's styling and guest artist Klaus Schulze.

Ash Ra Tempel - Join Inn , SQ Quad CD from 72 .

Sadly...Manuel Gottsching left the planet approximately one month ago in December 2022. But he leaves behind an incredible legacy in music .

Some good news to report though, is that most of the elusive Cosmic Couriers SQ quads are being reissued this month , many of which contain Manuel Gottsching's Psychedelic styling on guitar and electronics. Additionally some will also have Klaus Schulze's contributions... so that's bonus to me.

😊View attachment 87617View attachment 87618
Hey these are great albums, is that a recent CD? And do you have a link to the new releases?

Thanks!

Didn't some (all?) of those Ovation titles consist of recycled/mixed-n-matched material from Black Jazz?
Yes. New artwork, title and shuffled tracks to give the impression that these were new albums altogether. In one or two cases, there may have been a few new tracks, probably previously unreleased.

In all honesty I'm not sure as I didn't have any back when . Only had 2 Sector 4 quads ..Rich Mountain Tower and Don Barnett.

Just thought I'd list the "last of's" quads that Ovation had ...with regards to those Black Jazz Artists .

Back