Metallica compression issue

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Led9

Just had a chance to compare the CD (compressed) version of Death Magnetic with the bootleg Guitar Hero (uncompressed) version and have to say WOW! No comparison- the differences are quite apparent. CD version is shrill and grating in only a short listen. Metallica's production people should be hung. Absolutely no excuse for this.

Rick

Blame Rick Rubin and his crew. Ted Jensen said when he got the master tape it already sounded like that, so it was squashed in Pro Tools. They must have sent Guitar Hero a "pre-squashed" version. A damn shame since it's a fantastic album.

Same thing happened with McCartney's Memory Almost Full. It went to Bob Ludwig "pre-shat on".

I wonder if the vinyl is as compressed as the CD. I remember Red Hot Chili Peppers' Stadium Arcadium on CD was compressed to hell but the vinyl was really nice. I think Steve Hoffman did the vinyl version. I'd bet that the in this case the LP and CD are both the same though.

I wonder if the vinyl is as compressed as the CD. I remember Red Hot Chili Peppers' Stadium Arcadium on CD was compressed to hell but the vinyl was really nice. I think Steve Hoffman did the vinyl version. I'd bet that the in this case the LP and CD are both the same though.

From what I read the vinyl is not much better.

Back