SPOTLIGHT Miles Davis - Live / Evil 4.0

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you saying you sense rumblings in the air?

God I hope so, I am jonesing for some new 4-channel rumbling in my listening room before silent nights take hold.

It seems to be the way that Sony Japan do things, in a (depending on your temprament, maddeningly) slowly and deliberately orderly way - like with the Jeff Beck quad SACDs, they simply reissued the old SACD of Blow by Blow, just in the deluxe 7" packaging. When that one did ok, they moved on to the others, one at a time, and with no other artists in the interim. I'm guessing this is their way of minimising risk - one Jeff Beck sells well, so they have the confidence to do the others presuming they'll have the same result, and now the same with Miles Davis.

The upside is that with every SACD they reissue, it narrows the pool of what's remaining - unless they decide to put out Mark Wilder's unreleased 5.1 remix of Jack Johnson next, you'd have to think that they consider Miles Davis "done", and that they'll move on to one of their other remaining crown jewels that have extant quad mixes, like Santana, or Aerosmith, or the two Billy Joels that haven't been done yet.
The two Billy Joels that have been released and those that have not stand in contrast to the “finish out the artist’s catalog” theory

I suspect that this release has been pushed back, and that the eBay guy and the Japanese site I linked to either have broken some kind of pre-order embargo or just have outdated info about the release date. You'd think that if this was coming out little more than two weeks from now that it would be showing up on the major Japanese retail sites for preorder by now.

Who knows though, maybe Sony Japan is following the lead of those super-cool trendsetters at D-V after the Simon & Garfunkel BOTW debacle and not announcing titles until they're ready to ship?
A friend pointed out to me that Simon & Garfunkel BOTW next year is the 50 years since it's release ?

I ordered from CDJapan on Oct 31 along with the 7" Japanese Edition of let It Bleed. Stones releases Dec 18, not sure about Live Evil.

You ordered Live/Evil through CDJapan? I can't find a listing for it.

It's coming January 22, 2020

From this link:

マイルス・デイヴィス(Miles Davis)、『ライヴ・イヴル』の幻の4chミックスがSACDハイブリッドで復活 - CDJournal ニュース

Here's the Google translation:

Miles Davis's 1971 album “Live Eve” (SACD hybrid SICJ10012-35,000 yen + tax) consisting of live sound sources and studio recordings is a SACD hybrid specification that includes 4ch mix sound sources It will be released on January 22 (Wednesday). Three types of sound sources are recorded: SACD 4ch mix and stereo mix, and CD stereo mix. The 4ch mix of the front and rear is a sound source recorded in <Quadraphonic> released in March 1973 and can be said to be a long-awaited revival release. The stereo mix that can be heard on SACD and CD is newly mastered from the analog master.

Artwork is a reprint of the 1973 Quadraphonic domestic board with a 7-inch paper jacket including the obi. This is a Japanese original plan for a complete production limited edition.

Live Eve is composed of live recordings at Cellar Door in Washington DC, USA on December 19, 1970, and studio takes in February and June of the same year, and was released worldwide in November 1971. It was. Participating members include Chick Korea, Herbie Hancock, Keith Jarrett, Joe Zavinul, John McLaughlin, Dave Holland, Ron Carter, Gary Barth, Wayne Shorter, and Elmette Pascoal. Produced by Teo Macero.

It's official:
http://www.sonymusic.co.jp/artist/MilesDavis/discography/SICJ-10012
One year after the world's first release of the Quadraphonic work of Miles Davis's shocking work `` Bitches Brew '' (70) which changed the history with the most revolutionary content in jazz history, finally `` live "Evre" will be released in a Japanese original project. 2channel is back with the latest mastering from the analog master. Now, after 48 years since its launch in November 1971, we experience the sound world that Miles wanted to express. LIVE EVIL is a funk-colored two-disc set composed of a live recording in Weinton DC in December 1970 and a studio recording in NY in February and June of the same year. Since its release, it has continued to be popular since its release, including the permanent performance of young Keith Jarrett, Chick Korea, Herbie Hancock, John McLaughlin and Jack Dijonet. The artwork is handled by the same Matty Culler wine as "Bitches Brew". With the latest mastering in 2019 (4ch, 2ch), the multi domestic version will be released for the first time, and SA-CD (2ch) has been released since 2002.

[Full production limited edition]
■ 2CD
■ SA-CD hybrid
■ Japan original plan
■ 7 inch paper jacket
■ Analog artwork reprint at the time of release

It's official:
http://www.sonymusic.co.jp/artist/MilesDavis/discography/SICJ-10012
One year after the world's first release of the Quadraphonic work of Miles Davis's shocking work `` Bitches Brew '' (70) which changed the history with the most revolutionary content in jazz history, finally `` live "Evre" will be released in a Japanese original project. 2channel is back with the latest mastering from the analog master. Now, after 48 years since its launch in November 1971, we experience the sound world that Miles wanted to express. LIVE EVIL is a funk-colored two-disc set composed of a live recording in Weinton DC in December 1970 and a studio recording in NY in February and June of the same year. Since its release, it has continued to be popular since its release, including the permanent performance of young Keith Jarrett, Chick Korea, Herbie Hancock, John McLaughlin and Jack Dijonet. The artwork is handled by the same Matty Culler wine as "Bitches Brew". With the latest mastering in 2019 (4ch, 2ch), the multi domestic version will be released for the first time, and SA-CD (2ch) has been released since 2002.

[Full production limited edition]
■ 2CD
■ SA-CD hybrid
■ Japan original plan
■ 7 inch paper jacket
■ Analog artwork reprint at the time of release

FANTASTIC!!!!

:51QQ

What's happening there is that the site is listing the product code SICJ-10012~3 (as in, two discs) next to the price (¥5,500, or ¥5,000 plus tax).

Back