How many Quad/Stereo SACD 7” packages from Japan do you own?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CDJapan offered SACD Stereo 7" of Yessongs and Big Generator, they both sound like shit, don't recommended buying them.
Their Satanic Majesties Request- SACD 7" stereo is awesome.
BIG GENERATOR SACD 7"
YESSONGS SACD 7"
Their Satanic Majesties Request SACD 7"

There are also 7" Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed both stereo SACD and Carole King 7" SACD 5.1.

They released two versions of Yessongs, the 2nd 70th Anniversary of Atlantic is at least bearable, but still not that good.
I just added the Stones CD so I could verify the 7" packaging in the picture.
IMG_3699.jpg

IMG_3700.jpg

Billy Joel - 52nd Street
Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow, Wired, Jeff Beck Group, Rough and Ready, Beck, Bogert & Appice
Journey - Escape
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew, Live-Evil
Santana - Caravanserai, Lotus, Santana 1, Santana 3, Abraxas
Santana and Miles Live
Toto - IV
Yes - Big Generator

It would be hard to rank. Journey’s Escape is one of my favorite albums, so that ranks high. But Jeff Beck in quad is hard to beat.

Billy Joel - 52nd Street
Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow, Wired, Jeff Beck Group, Rough and Ready, Beck, Bogert & Appice
Journey - Escape
Santana - Caravanserai, Lotus, Santana 1, Santana 3, Abraxas
Santana and Miles Live
Toto - IV
Yes - Big Generator

It would be hard to rank. Journey’s Escape is one of my favorite albums, so that ranks high. But Jeff Beck in quad is hard to beat.
So there is a 7” Escape, I missed that one.
Do you have picture or link to purchase?

Ah, OK...so it's not SACD.
Correct. BluSpec2 which I don’t think is much to get excited about just from my own experience with that format, at least with the CDs I’ve bought.

It’s a nice package, but most of the audio/video is available elsewhere. Kudos for the bonus tracks they did gather up, though.

And all the paper stuff is nice, more-so if you read Japanese.

To me, it’s a great souvenir of that album and tour, but I don’t think anyone should pay a high price for this with the thought that the audio quality is going to blow you away. It’s a DR10 for the main album, not exactly bad but nothing to brag about either.

DR11 over -15.01 dB 10 Open Arms.mp3
DR9 over -10.14 dB 07 Lay It Down.mp3
DR8 over -9.91 dB 04 Keep On Runnin'.mp3
DR11 over -12.12 dB 08 Dead Or Alive.mp3
DR10 over -11.96 dB 05 Still They Ride.mp3
DR12 -0.75 dB -14.99 dB 14 La Raza Del Sol (Acoustic Solo).mp3
DR9 over -10.54 dB 06 Escape.mp3
DR11 over -11.91 dB 13 La Raza Del Sol (Electric Solo).mp3
DR10 over -11.96 dB 09 Mother, Father.mp3
DR10 over -12.74 dB 03 Who's Crying Now.mp3
DR8 -0.62 dB -10.42 dB 15 Still They Ride [Live].mp3
DR9 over -11.21 dB 02 Stone In Love.mp3
DR9 over -10.84 dB 11 Natural Thing.mp3
DR7 over -10.83 dB 12 Little Girl.mp3
DR9 over -11.25 dB 01 Don't Stop Believin'.mp3

Ok, I have the Escape Blu Spec but not 7” packaging.
I assume that when the 7” package was sold I turned it down because it was Blu Spec and I already have it.
It is the only 7” that is not SACD, so it is very rare;)

Santana - Santana, Abraxas, Santana III, Caravanserai
Santana and Buddy Miles Live
Toto - IV

On the way to me:
Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow

Also trying to grab Jeff Beck Wired, but it's a hard task... o_O

New 7" arrived yesterday. I am not going to rip or listen as it is the 2021 Analogue Productions 5.1, which I already have, but nice addition to the 7" collection. the gold OBI is a replica of the Japanese 1971 Quadrophonic release. I wish they would have included the 4.0 rather than the 5.1.
SICP-10143.jpg

SICP-10143_ADD.jpg

They released two versions of Yessongs, the 2nd 70th Anniversary of Atlantic is at least bearable, but still not that good.

You're pretty much the only person who seems to have compared the two editions. I really, really want one of them because of the gorgeous packaging, but they are hard to find, and very expensive nowadays, especially the 70th anniversary one. I haven't been able to find any objective measurement that shows they're different, so I'll need to trust your ears. How would you describe the sonic difference between them? Before I pull the trigger, I'd love to know the details. Thanks in advance!

Not that I should really need to justify the purchase because it's going to be just crazy anyway - I have the original vinyl (not in pristine condition anymore - I'd be happy with it if it still looked and played great) and the 2013 HDTracks version, which might sound marginally better than the Japanese editions, so I'd be buying it for the packaging... 🙈

You're pretty much the only person who seems to have compared the two editions. I really, really want one of them because of the gorgeous packaging, but they are hard to find, and very expensive nowadays, especially the 70th anniversary one. I haven't been able to find any objective measurement that shows they're different, so I'll need to trust your ears. How would you describe the sonic difference between them? Before I pull the trigger, I'd love to know the details. Thanks in advance!

Not that I should really need to justify the purchase because it's going to be just crazy anyway - I have the original vinyl (not in pristine condition anymore - I'd be happy with it if it still looked and played great) and the 2013 HDTracks version, which might sound marginally better than the Japanese editions, so I'd be buying it for the packaging... 🙈
Thank you for asking.
My first Yes was the first 2 LP's, then when CD's came out I purchased Yessongs, just loved that Double CD, Starship Trooper sounded so great in the car.
Naturally I was happy to see Yessongs come out in Japanese SACD, it just sounded horrible to me, like sound coming out of mud, I'm exaggerating but you get the idea.
Then it came out again, fairly soon if I can remember with the 70th Atlantic Anniversary sticker. I believed it was an improvement.

My advice based on my experience (only digital discs) is get an original RBCD for sound and the 7" packaging for collector purposes.

I have no other experience and I am unable to explain any further, hope that helps.

New 7" arrived yesterday. I am not going to rip or listen as it is the 2021 Analogue Productions 5.1, which I already have, but nice addition to the 7" collection. the gold OBI is a replica of the Japanese 1971 Quadrophonic release. I wish they would have included the 4.0 rather than the 5.1.
View attachment 90759
View attachment 90760
Mine too with Atom Heart Mother 7 inch

All three Billy Joel ones, Toto IV and Carol King's Tapestry. Quite happy that I do not care much for Jeff Beck and/or Santana ;-)

Back