SPOTLIGHT Sony Japan 7" Mini-LP Hybrid SACD Series - Comprehensive List of Multichannel Titles

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice collection, marpow! Wish I had started to collect these 7" mch sacds a bit earlier.. I missed a few titles I'm interested in, especially Wired and 52nd Street.:( Now they are hard to find at an affordable price.
there are several i deprioritised and now regret not getting at the time! 😫 oh well, can't win 'em all..! 😅

Last edited:
it's in papersleeve packaging Mister Pupster, in an approximately 5-inch jacket not 7" like the others 🙂

the 4-channel mix has extreme separation, it's been some time since i last played it but i remember the Rears in isolation being an absolute hoot they had some truly unique content going on in them! 🥳

musically it's Marmite (you're either gonna love it or hate it!) 😋
ehh, 5" smimitch or 7" Freddie; will she really notice the difference, as long as you love her with a feelin' 😊

AHA, a Stereo SACD in special 7" packaging which the 'covetous duo' of Adam and Markie do NOT own...and nor do I for that matter:

product image 1

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SICP-10122

Last edited:
It sure would be nice to see Edgar Winter - They Only Come Out At Night get proper respect (and deluxe treatment) one day as a multi-platinum album with an excellent fun quad mix. That would be EPIC. ;)

There has to be a hang up on this one, as Audio Fidelity or D-V should have leaped on this one from the get go. A no-brainer if there ever was one. No one around in the '70s quad era did not have this on Q8 or QLP to blast for friends. "Frankenstein" and "Free Ride" have showcase quad mixes that need to be heard by today's surround fans

There has to be a hang up on this one, as Audio Fidelity or D-V should have leaped on this one from the get go. A no-brainer if there ever was one. No one around in the '70s quad era did not have this on Q8 or QLP to blast for friends. "Frankenstein" and "Free Ride" have showcase quad mixes that need to be heard by today's surround fans
Agree, also maybe add in the much underrated "Shock Treatment" for an excellent 2fer!

I think that brother Johnny Winters efforts need a modern release as well. I especially crave "Saints and Sinners"

Marshall at AF told me that DSD has collectors (stereo), and that anything previously out on a DSD encoded disc (SACD) has a big part of its desirability already sapped (really???) So the Edgar Winter title was not seriously considered. The MFSL SACD had been released 10 years prior.

Later it was said that DV was not interested or maybe not able to release it in Europe due to another reissue label having it out (BGO?).

On further investigation done in my own, a Sony contact told me that when a MFSL or any other label licenses a title from Columbia or Epic labels - none of these labels are given any exclusive rights for any period on the given title. And any other established label that can pay the fee is free to license it for reissue as well.

When I asked Marshall if he found this to be true, he agreed and said the “we try and stay away from each others licensed titles out of respect and consideration for the market.”

It seems that it is simply a case at least in the US of neglect to consider it. In the UK, it’s been out in BGO or elsewhere in stereo.

The Nilsson is another that’s been reissued a ton of times and now might have run out of time for a quad release.

Seems some listeners are perfectly fine with Sony Japan reissuing 7” titles that we’ve already purchased in quad (or 5.1) on modern disc, rather than some of the truly rare ones. I wish there was an uproar every tine this happened, but no, no Edgar or Nilsson and and that is that!

Thankfully Rhino has the quadio line currently going and their aims are for fresh exclusives, and the better albums, and sooner than one or two per year. They are avoiding any repetition at this time.

Last edited:
Agree, also maybe add in the much underrated "Shock Treatment" for an excellent 2fer!

I think that brother Johnny Winters efforts need a modern release as well. I especially crave "Saints and Sinners"
Love Shock Treatment and Saints and Sinners. Peak period Winter albums. Even JDW III would be so nice.

Maybe just maybe Sony Japan will roll the dice on a few of those after the Santana catalog is finished.

Back