SPOTLIGHT Sony Japan 7" Mini-LP Hybrid SACD Series - Comprehensive List of Multichannel Titles

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

surround.sound.enthusiast

400 Club - QQ All-Star
I was hoping that Sony Japan would get going with these quicker than just doing them as 50th anniversary editions but given the elapsed time here, that doesn't seem to be the case. They were a bit late with reissuing the first album, but the SACD of Abraxas was 50 years to the month of the original LP release.

If that holds for the remaining titles, you can expect Santana III in September of this year, and then Carlos Santana and Buddy Miles! Live! in June of 2022 followed by Caravanserai in October of that year.

It's also possible that the release schedule has simply just been slowed by COVID, as all the quad tapes for these albums are held in the US in vaults controlled by Iron Mountain that have all but been shut down by social distancing regulations for the last year.
Getting a Sony Japan release of "Carlos Santana and Buddy Miles! Live!" would be a itty-bit of a bummer, as we were lucky enough to already get it released through Dutton-Vocalion. But you know what, I'd buy a double of it anyway to keep the Santana range complete. It'd be excellent to see a new 7 inch reissue sometime soon.

steelydave

Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Getting a Sony Japan release of "Carlos Santana and Buddy Miles! Live!" would be a itty-bit of a bummer, as we were lucky enough to already get it released through Dutton-Vocalion. But you know what, I'd buy a double of it anyway to keep the Santana range complete. It'd be excellent to see a new 7 inch reissue sometime soon.
I agree, but if they're doing them to coincide with 50th anniversary dates, it's not like it'll be pushing anything else back as a result. I have no idea if they'll do that one or not, I just made an educated guess based on the fact that they did the self-titled Jeff Beck Group (aka the "orange" album) as one of those 7" releases barely a year after Audio Fidelity released the quad mix on SACD in the US, so it seems like previous reissues aren't an impediment to them choosing to do a title.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Yes, Jaoan 7” of Carole King, Billy Joel, and Herbie Hancock are repeats as well of previously issued quad on SACD. But I pray Carlos and Buddy, and the also mentioned Thrust are not again also repeated.

We really need to move forward with no bum selections, not too many repeats, and all choice prime picks. It’s so late in the game, but not too late.

surround.sound.enthusiast

400 Club - QQ All-Star
I agree, but if they're doing them to coincide with 50th anniversary dates, it's not like it'll be pushing anything else back as a result. I have no idea if they'll do that one or not, I just made an educated guess based on the fact that they did the self-titled Jeff Beck Group (aka the "orange" album) as one of those 7" releases barely a year after Audio Fidelity released the quad mix on SACD in the US, so it seems like previous reissues aren't an impediment to them choosing to do a title.
Good point. Sony Japan does seem to do their own thing, and gladly so, because we've been getting some great 7 inch releases from them.
I ended up buying both of those Beck's in the end to keep the Beck 7 inch set complete, despite that I had already had the Audio Fidelity version.