MMH - New Atmos Decoder (beta) discussion

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New MMH 7.0.0 Beta 6 has a reworked Atmos decoder to multichannel wav files:
Download link:
https://reva.blob.core.windows.net/mmh7/MMHInstaller.msi

NOTE: For those not yet using MMH 7 you must first install the .NET 7 Desktop Runtime:
https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/...u/runtime-desktop-7.0.5-windows-x64-installer
Changelog since previous 7.0.0 beta versions: (see MMH thread for full changelog)
Atmos Helper tool:
Decoding Atmos: Now faster than previous versions (combined conversion steps including direct creation of interleaved wav) & now shows file decode progress
Decoding Atmos: Added option to swap sides & rears for 7 channel bed outputs 7.1, 7.1.4 & 9.1.6 etc - default is 'off' with sides first
If you plan to re-encode back to Atmos don't swap sides and rears in the decode (you might do this just to change channel gain)

Attention Atmos Helper Decoder users: @himey @AYanguas @zcftr29 @AudiophileStyle @mkt

I'm hoping the output files are compatible with current wav players. Please provide feedback.

I’ve got a PM reporting an issue which I’ll fix tomorrow morning my time.

So those interested in testing this new decoder tool should hang fire until that next fixed release.

@zcftr29 I'm now working on implementing volume detection and auto gain adjustment for decoded output wavs for the 7.0.0 release (based on your code provided a while back, thanks)

MMH 7.0.0 Beta 7

Decoding Atmos files works good. Tested To 9.1.6 and 9.1.4 and can open on Audacity.

BUT, when re-encodig to Atmos 9.1.4 (14 channels wav file) the Atmos encoder gives the error: "... not all files match the channel count"

1681991904971.png

Re-testing on old MMH 6.4.8. It also DOES NOT WORK encoding from 9.1.4

It does work encoding from 9.1.6 on new MMH 7.0.0 Beta 7

ALSO, on MMH 7 the settings "Use Dolby Encoder Engine (only if Installed), the SDE location and all the rest are not saved and have to be input again each time MMH Atmos Helper is invoked.

Re-testing on old MMH 6.4.8. It also DOES NOT WORK encoding from 9.1.4

It does work encoding from 9.1.6 on new MMH 7.0.0 Beta 7

ALSO, on MMH 7 the settings "Use Dolby Encoder Engine (only if Installed), the SDE location and all the rest are not saved and have to be input again each time MMH Atmos Helper is invoked.
Still, it does not work encoding from 9.1.4 ==> File channel count 14 is not correctly matched.

The "Dolby Encoder Engine Settings" are now correctly saved.

I am doing a complete rewrite of the decoder implementation at the moment and won’t release a new version until that’s done. Maybe late today or tomorrow.

I did find and fix the code for 9.1.4 encoding but haven’t tested it yet. It was never ‘valid’ in the MMH Helper code.

Hi, after decoding the atmos file to 16 mono wavs, and fixing some weird sounds, i want to create a 9.1.6 interleaved wav file so i can encode it again with MMH. Tried with ffmpeg but no luck. Anyone knows how?
I tried inputing the folder with the individual wav files inside but it just does not load them into the program.

@AVX I’ll post an ffmpeg command line to create a 9.1.6 interleaved wav from 16 x mono files later today when I’m on my PC.

If the interleaved output file > 4 GB you’ll need to create a 64bit wave (.w64) for the encoder.

Reactions: AVX
Here is the ffmpeg command line (all one line) - you may need to change input file names:

ffmpeg.exe -i Out.01_L.wav -i Out.02_R.wav -i Out.03_C.wav -i Out.04_LFE.wav -i Out.05_Ls.wav -i Out.06_Rs.wav -i Out.07_Lrs.wav -i Out.08_Rrs.wav -i Out.09_Lw.wav -i Out.10_Rw.wav -i Out.11_Ltf.wav -i Out.12_Rtf.wav -i Out.13_Ltm.wav -i Out.14_Rtm.wav -i Out.15_Ltr.wav -i Out.16_Rtr.wav
-filter_complex "[0:a][1:a][2:a][3:a][4:a][5:a][6:a][7:a][8:a][9:a][10:a][11:a][12:a][13:a][14:a][15:a]amerge=inputs=16[a]" -map "[a]" -c:a pcm_s24le OutputFile916.wav

New MMH 7.0.0 Beta 8 with reworked Atmos decoder to multichannel wav files:
Download link:
https://reva.blob.core.windows.net/mmh7/MMHInstaller.msi

Latest Version 7.0.0 Beta 8 changes in bold
-------------
Changes:
Media File Manager now displays HDR type (Dolby Vision, HDR10, HDR10+ and HLG

Atmos Helper tool Changes
Encoding DD+ Atmos to MP4/M4A files now uses MP4box (if GPAC is installed on same PC) for increased compatibility with DRP and iOS playback
Decoding Atmos: Now faster than previous versions (combined conversion steps) & now shows file decode progress
Decoding Atmos: Added option to swap sides & rears for 7 channel bed outputs 7.1, 7.1.4 & 9.1.6 etc - default is 'off' with sides first
Decoding Atmos: New Option to Auto Calculate and set Max Peak Volume for all files in current decode list (I.e. album track files)
Decoding Atmos: New dialog displays files in current session

Fixes:
Atmos Helper encoding 9.1.4 gave 'not valid layout' message - fixed

Known Issue: Mono WAVs ouput option is not functional in beta 8 - I will fix before final release

New Decoder dialog in 7.0.0 beta 8:
AtmosHelperDecoder.png

The grid now shows all the input Atmos files selected. If the decode (and optional Gain is applied) is successful the Output wav file names is added to the grid for each input file.

Output Gain Option: New
The new Auto Calculate Gain to Apply finds the Max Peak Volume from all decoded files in the current session and calculates the gain required to hit the Target Peak value entered, then applies that volume gain to ALL the files in the current session. That means for an album the relative volume re,amins same for each track in the album with the loudest track set to the Target Peak.

If Auto Calculate Gain to Apply is not checked then the 'Apply Channel Gain' value is used for all files if not set to 0.0. This is a fixed gain and may cause clipping.

If you decode a single MKV with chapters any optional Gain above is applied to the decoded output wav before it is split into individual track (chapter) wav files.

Last edited:
Here is the ffmpeg command line (all one line) - you may need to change input file names:

ffmpeg.exe -i Out.01_L.wav -i Out.02_R.wav -i Out.03_C.wav -i Out.04_LFE.wav -i Out.05_Ls.wav -i Out.06_Rs.wav -i Out.07_Lrs.wav -i Out.08_Rrs.wav -i Out.09_Lw.wav -i Out.10_Rw.wav -i Out.11_Ltf.wav -i Out.12_Rtf.wav -i Out.13_Ltm.wav -i Out.14_Rtm.wav -i Out.15_Ltr.wav -i Out.16_Rtr.wav
-filter_complex "[0:a][1:a][2:a][3:a][4:a][5:a][6:a][7:a][8:a][9:a][10:a][11:a][12:a][13:a][14:a][15:a]amerge=inputs=16[a]" -map "[a]" -c:a pcm_s24le OutputFile916.wav

Thank you so much.
I assume this is also valid for 7.1.4.wav
ffmpeg -i "12_Channel_ID 1.wav" -i "12_Channel_ID 2.wav" -i "12_Channel_ID 3.wav" -i "12_Channel_ID 4.wav" -i "12_Channel_ID 5.wav" -i "12_Channel_ID 6.wav" -i "12_Channel_ID 7.wav" -i "12_Channel_ID 8.wav" -i "12_Channel_ID 9.wav" -i "12_Channel_ID 10.wav" -i "12_Channel_ID 11.wav" -i "12_Channel_ID 12.wav" -c pcm_s32le -filter_complex "join=inputs=12:channel_layout=7.1+TFL+TFR+TBL+TBR:map=0.0-FL|1.0-FR|2.0-FC|3.0-LFE|4.0-BL|5.0-BR|6.0-SL|7.0-SR|8.0-TFL|9.0-TFR|10.0-TBL|11.0-TBR" 7.1.4.wav

get following error when decoding Atmos:

Fixed in MMH7.0.0.Beta 9 just uploaded. (same link as previious)

Issue was caused by calculation of Gain to apply when a user's PC regional settings set to EU with decimal point as comma - fixed

Fixed in MMH7.0.0.Beta 9 just uploaded. (same link as previious)

Issue was caused by calculation of Gain to apply when a user's PC regional settings set to EU with decimal point as comma - fixed
Can you check on the mka issue from last time before public release?

Back