MMH: The Next Windows Version (on the road to macOS and Linux versions)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerJAU

Moderator: MCH Media Players
Staff member
I'm moving MMH to .NET 5 to support Windows and macOS and later on Linux to.

I've now moved all the code to .NET 5 (from .NET 4.8 Framework).

It's becoming a nightmare managing two versions of MMH (The current Windows Only version and the new .NET 5 version) so I'd like to release the Windows version of MMH with .NET 5 ASAP. So here's the first public beta release of MMH using .NET 5. If testing goes well I will do an official release.

I'm calling for volunteers to start using MMH 5.0. Currently this has identical functionality as current MMH 4.2.10 release, although .NET 5 is faster than current .NET 4.8 Framework in some tools.

Both versions of MMH will run side by side, in fact MMH 5 has just a single exe file, no other files. You can copy the exe onto your desktop and run it from there, leaving MMH 4 in the program files folder:

You will need to install the .NET 5 runtime from this Microsoft link:

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet/5.0
Go to the section: .NET Desktop Runtime 5.0.7

at the right, middle and install the x64 (its only about 30MB)

.NET 5 runtime.PNG

Once that's installed go to this link and download the MMH 5 zip file:

https://reva.blob.core.windows.net/mmh5/Music Media Helper.zip
Unzip and copy the 'Music Media Helper.exe' file onto your desktop.

Double-Click on that exe file to run.

Please report if you find and any issues or problems.

THX
Garry

Last edited:
Thanks Garry,

Was able to install MMH 5.0.0 beta 2 and successfully use the ‘create cue file’ function. Worked very quickly, seems great. 😎

Downloaded and ran (Windows and Norton tried to block it), opened with no issues.

I had an .mkv of Queen's The Game, which I have never processed for some reason. So selected DTS 5.1 stream to FLAC and it converted, though I did seem to get 2 sets of tracks (one set it said was 5.1 after tag), I'm assuming the other is DTS stereo. Bit late to see, so I'll look tomorrow. Did have an issue with Tagging it through, selected the DVD-A version, and it gave an error on every track.

Thanks for the feedback.

@DuncanS DVD-A version? Not sure what you mean. How did you rip The disc?

I’ll test the MKV FLAC extraction and tagging in MMH 5 this morning and report back/fix any issues I fix.

I can't remember when I made the mkv, probably with DVD Audio Extractor. It was the only mkv I had on that PC. For the Tag I selected Queen The Game DVD-A from the list.

A new MMH 5.0 beta version with same changes as today's 4.2.12 update.

This should resolve MMH's 'Extract Audio from MKV' tool tagging issue and 'pops' in added silent channels for DSF files in MMH's 'Remix Channels' tool.

There is still no installer for MMH 5.0 so download the zip here and unzip over top of any previous 5.0 version and run the 'Music Media Helper.exe' file

https://reva.blob.core.windows.net/mmh5/Music Media Helper.zip
NOTE: You do need .NET 5.0 runtime installed from link in OP. It may be installed already as part of Windows 10 updates? :unsure:

Did have an issue with Tagging it through, selected the DVD-A version, and it gave an error on every track

Another IBM error by me. I just recently added a hidden 'Source Folder' column to the grid (to allow future loading of multiple album files). I mucked up on the column updates, now fixed. Apologies.

(I need to implement some test code... What often seems like a simple fix is actually a simple bug instead!!)

It feels like 4.2.12 is quicker than the .NET version, am I mistaken?

The tagging works, and I discovered that the .mkv I have produces flac files of zero duration, so maybe that is why it was just sitting there unconverted its a duff .mkv file!

It feels like 4.2.12 is quicker than the .NET version, am I mistaken?

MMH 5 should be faster:
  • Apparently .NET 5 has been fully optimized (and with updated compiler in Visual Studio) and runs faster. An example I watched on a Microsoft video showed a folder recursion app with exact same code using .NET Framework vs .NET 5 showed .NET 5 did same task in half the time. Of course, most of the audio/video conversion in MMH uses 3rd party executables written in c+, so they should run at same speed.
  • MMH 5 is now a 64 bit app (MMH 4 is 32 bit)

The tagging works, and I discovered that the .mkv I have produces flac files of zero duration, so maybe that is why it was just sitting there unconverted its a duff .mkv file!

I'm happy to test your MKV here if you'd like. Its a bit strange you are getting 0 length FLAC files. What is the audio codec you select?

I'm happy to test your MKV here if you'd like. Its a bit strange you are getting 0 length FLAC files. What is the audio codec you select?
I'm going to reproduce the file (it's timestamp is a few years old), I wonder if I was experimenting (i.e. playing) and trying a makeMKV on a DVD-A!

If it had been A Night At The Opera I have that on DVD-A & BD-A, but The Game is only on DVD-A. So it sees the 5.1 DTS but its got the wrong content 'structure'.

Back