Quantcast

Music Media Helper: New Tool for Channel Volume Editing

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

HomerJAU

Moderator: MCH Media Players
Staff member
I'm have just added a new tool for MMH that enables editing of channel volume (gain) for multiple files in batch:

This tool supports FLAC and WAV files: mono, stereo and multichannel (up to 8 channels).

Standalone tool - you can load any number of files or all files in a selected folder: (no limit to number of files or folders, just keep scrolling down to view each file’s channel volume stats):

This new Channel Volume tool is also in the Penteo Tool, where it auto loads all files in a selected folder in the Penteo Tool grid:

In either case you can update an individual FLAC or WAV file in the dialog by clicking its 'Apply Gain' button or you can update all the files in the dialog using the 'Apply Gain (All Files)' button at the bottom of the dialog (MMH will only processes files with at least one channel with a Gain <> 0).

There is an option to either Overwrite the original file or to auto create an updated copy of the original in a sub-folder under each file's Source folder (any tagging is also copied).

EDIT: Now released in 3.9.0

Last edited:

HomerJAU

Staff member
I have also added an option to copy channel gains from the first file in the view to all others to make it easier to do things like apply same gain (volume) adjustments to all the surround channels or LFE etc.

Last edited:

Ninecats

800 Club - QQ All-Star
Interesting, so if I for instance have a release where the center is mixed very high, rather than adjusting my volume levels I can adjust just the volume on the track with MMH?
It’s tiresome to adjust the levels all the time depending on big mixing variations.

Last edited:

HomerJAU

Staff member
Yes. You can use this new tool in MMH.

Select the album folder, MMH loads all the FLACs (every song in the album)

In your example:

Set the C level -3.0db in first file control only, click 'Copy First File Gain' and MMH copies '-3.0db' to every file's C gain.

Now click: 'Apply Gain (All Files)' button:

MMH updates all existing FLACs (or creates new FLACs with same file name and tags, depending on Output option) with Gain(s) applied to C channels (-3.0db)

Easy and a permanent volume change.

EDIT: On my PC this is quite fast, but I have NVME SSD drives (much faster than conventional SSD drives, and much, much faster than conventional spinning Hard Drives)

Ninecats

800 Club - QQ All-Star
One question, I have updated MMH and currently try out this tool, I get as far as adding the file and then try to do a manaul gain increse, but the bar below (greyed) only shows up briefly and then disappears, it does put put a new file but it is identical to the original file. Also I can't believe my old budget laptop is that quick (it's a mili second really). Small screen
screen.jpg

Doesn’t matter if I try replacing existing file or new folder/file. Same result, a quick bar shows up after I click Apply Gain and then disappears, the result is identical as the old file, at least from what I can detect in Audacity and foobar.

Last edited:

HomerJAU

Staff member
I’m wondering if it’s the Euro region decimal that’s the problem. Let me check that out today. It happened on another tool years ago. I forgot all about it. Apologies.

Ninecats

800 Club - QQ All-Star
Tried two computers, tried two windows 10 versions (1903 and 2004) and same result. Thanks if it can be looked into.

HomerJAU

Staff member
Fixed. It was the euro decimal point as a comma issue.

MMH 4.0.2 now uploaded. This uses the new installer.

Existing MMH 3.x users will get a notification of an update to 4.0 using the old installer, future updates will use the new installer.