Music Media Helper (Tools for Multichannel Audio & Music Videos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Mark,

I think J River can only play lossless Atmos audio files with the .mka filetype. It is confusing as it can do .m4a with lossy Atmos files but doesn’t recognise the lossless files. Need to have version 31 I think and only for Windows...

MMH can convert those lossless Abbey Road tracks to .mka if you want to test and just remember to save a cue file to get the metadata imported too.
Will that makes sense, I will make another experiment doing with .mka, the Atmos files that I can play in Atmos that are m4a are 16bit lossy.
So I think you will be right.
I am going to do another experiment right now.

I think in the end my go to will always be MKV for Atmos because I like the video chapters, but when occasionally the video MKV chapters are black, then what's the point. Also in JRiver when playback of an MKV file split into chapters it will not go gapless, it will always go gapless on a audio FLAC file, therefore with MKV on Abbey Road example you have to listen t the MKV file as a whole.

I'll report back after my new experiment with mka.
Love it Will, still learning.

Will, you where correct. The MKV to MKA using MMH does work, tag, etc. Plays HDMI out in Dolby Atmos same as the MKV file.
Sound, speakers, etc no different than MKV.
One negative regarding gapless Abbey Road playback, almost perfect, but there is a millisecond audible click between the gapless tracks, annoying.
I checked the MKV file in chapters (tracks) space between chapters in gapless sections is huge, so the MKA is certainly better using tracks for gapless playback, but hands down the BEST is a single MKV (video file) in Jriver for gapless playback.
The Jriver sidecar was not necessary with MKA, it is more necessary with MKV.
I'll probably still stick with Atmos rips as MKV, but nice to know I now have the MKA Atmos option for JRiver, especially on non gapless recordings.
Thanks for the tip Will.
Here are screenshots to prove my successful experiment.
This is a MKA rip from MKV using MMH, no JRiver sidecar.
Screenshot (122).png

This is a MKA rip from MMH with JRiver sidecar.
Screenshot (123).png

This shows MKA in JRiver with tagging from MMH.
Beatles MKA.JPG

This shows bit, sample, time, etc, now playable in MKA 24 bit lossless.
MKA 2.JPG

Will, you where correct. The MKV to MKA using MMH does work, tag, etc. Plays HDMI out in Dolby Atmos same as the MKV file.
Sound, speakers, etc no different than MKV.
One negative regarding gapless Abbey Road playback, almost perfect, but there is a millisecond audible click between the gapless tracks, annoying.
I checked the MKV file in chapters (tracks) space between chapters in gapless sections is huge, so the MKA is certainly better using tracks for gapless playback, but hands down the BEST is a single MKV (video file) in Jriver for gapless playback.
The Jriver sidecar was not necessary with MKA, it is more necessary with MKV.
I'll probably still stick with Atmos rips as MKV, but nice to know I now have the MKA Atmos option for JRiver, especially on non gapless recordings.
Thanks for the tip Will.
Here are screenshots to prove my successful experiment.
This is a MKA rip from MKV using MMH, no JRiver sidecar.
View attachment 104222
This is a MKA rip from MMH with JRiver sidecar.
View attachment 104223
This shows MKA in JRiver with tagging from MMH.
View attachment 104224
This shows bit, sample, time, etc, now playable in MKA 24 bit lossless.
View attachment 104225
Excellent, well done mate! You could always try a single MKA file with a cue file if you have a gapless album like Abbey Road or DSOTM, should work the same way hopefully...

Yeah sometimes it's just a blank screen and also sometimes just a static image of the band or album cover which doesn't really show much but takes up a lot of file space. I much prefer playing ripped files as you can see a lot more data, and add extra details like who did the mix etc. Sometimes playing the Blu Ray directly doesn't show how long the songs are for example.

And I also enjoy scrolling through all the albums in J River as it looks like I've got my own Jukebox!

You got that right. I am getting a new audio rack soon so unplugged some equipment in anticipation including my Blu Ray player, so the last 20 or so BD’s have only been ripped.
Ripping all discs is next level, the ultimate in music listening.

Music Media Helper 7.1.22 released

Version 7.1.22 (April 11 2024)
-------------
Fixes:
Chapter Editor tool: Cannot Save media file if chapter list is empty - fixed* @ted_b
* This now allows removing all chapters from input file by saving an empty chapter list

Changes:
Chapter Editor tool: Added new 'Remove All' button to empty list of chapters
Media Manager: Added new columns for album art size when scanning Music
Updated MediaInfo to 24.03
Updated Ffmpeg to 7.0.0 (some improvement in ffmpeg performance by multithreading)
Updated PDF docs

Direct link to installer:
https://reva.blob.core.windows.net/mmh7/MMHInstaller.msi

Thanks Garry! That helps a lot, but what helps even more is that we can now tag MKA files for music and use in Kodi (CoreELEC on Ugoos AM6b+). So converting to MKA (removing video) and then tagging with Chapter Editor makes these Dolby Atmos MKVs (now MKAs) easier to navigate. Thx

Excellent, well done mate! You could always try a single MKA file with a cue file if you have a gapless album like Abbey Road or DSOTM, should work the same way hopefully...

Yeah sometimes it's just a blank screen and also sometimes just a static image of the band or album cover which doesn't really show much but takes up a lot of file space. I much prefer playing ripped files as you can see a lot more data, and add extra details like who did the mix etc. Sometimes playing the Blu Ray directly doesn't show how long the songs are for example.

And I also enjoy scrolling through all the albums in J River as it looks like I've got my own Jukebox!
I'm a Kodi user here. I do chapterless MKA with que sheet whether I need gapless or not. Kodi provides scrolling lyrics for most tracks. But it won't if there is a video track, even a static image. MKA allows the lyrics to happen. Not having chapters prevents any minor clicks or studders that can happen on some equipment, like when some report missing the first few seconds of a travel. Chapterless + que never does that.

Am I the only one who isn't able to update to the latest MMH on Windows 11? Windows Defender says it's a virus. No issues with the same file on Windows 10.

No self signed certificate. I use to have an official Code Signing Certificate but it was costing too much and users were still getting warnings as so few use MMH it was never accepted by Windows anyway. So I thought: ‘why am I paying for a cert, it actually does nothing for users ?’

I’ll run a virus scan on the latest files, but there is nothing abnormal about this build…

EDIT: I did a full scan of all the files in the MMH installer package. No issues found.

Last edited:
My Win11 MMH install was flagged by Defender but I just hit "learn more" and then "install anyway" or something to that effect.
This is the first release that wasn't an option. Normally I have to click 3 different things, and all is well. No go this time on Win 11, but it did work as normal on Win 10.

I managed to get similar virus warning for that msi.

I've rebuilt the installer again and uploaded. Now I can download in Win11 without any warning. Please try that (the usual link)

I'm about to do a full off-line virus scan which will take a few hours I think.

Back