Music Media Helper (Tools for Multichannel Audio & Music Videos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello - OT while waiting for current installer "virus" issue to settle

I've done a bunch of tag & rename activity on folders over the past week. It mostly goes fine but there is an issue with some but not all album folders with more than 9 tracks. (Windows sorting math vs MMH sorting - examples below) It's odd because it only impacts some album folders.

For a while I thought when the Sonic Foundry extract-from-CD track numbering went into the hundreds (3 digits) but then that was dispelled. Then I thought it was when I was tagging art in same folder but I can't seem to replicate it. Something is strange in the woodpile; thanks for reading.

1. R.E.M. album
REM1.jpg

REM2.jpg

2. Robin Trower album
trower1.jpg

trower2.jpg

Copy/Rename again and a different error (two track 11s resulting)
trower3.jpg

Sorry to say Tim that MMH sorts alphabetically, so you'd need to either:

1. Rename the files (01, ... 11,12 etc) prior to loading them into MMH.

or

2. You could load just the files 1 -9, then load files 11 -12 etc then the files will be added in the order you add them. Then use 'Renumber files' to get MMH to renumber the 'track number' to the grid order, then click 'Tag & Rename" to updates the track no and rename each file.

Method two will help you fix the 'bad' numbering you now have,

THX

My development PC has had a full off-line virus scan and reports no issues.

The new MMH 7.1.22 (msi) now passes antivirus tests. That msi is online now.

I do not understand why yesterdays msi had the virus and today's does not. Exact same files. I presume something was running in memory after I'd been surfing the web. But I don't know for sure ecept all is ok now.

I am running latest Windows 11 and always have latest Defender updates too.

I do use a VPN (via OpenVPN) which I also update regularly. I'll check if that needs an update now.

My development PC has had a full off-line virus scan and reports no issues.

The new MMH 7.1.22 (msi) now passes antivirus tests. That msi is online now.

I do not understand why yesterdays msi had the virus and today's does not. Exact same files. I presume something was running in memory after I'd been surfing the web. But I don't know for sure ecept all is ok now.

I am running latest Windows 11 and always have latest Defender updates too.

I do use a VPN (via OpenVPN) which I also update regularly. I'll check if that needs an update now.
Still getting the virus alert but I can wait until the next version, not a biggie. Possibly the current version of my Windows security program is interpreting your code like a "false positive" if that's possible, Not really concerned right now. Will probably work itself out on a subsequent virus update. Thanks for your continued support and attention to your great application suite. It's greatly appreciated by all of us here!!

I've done a bunch of tag & rename activity on folders over the past week. It mostly goes fine but there is an issue with some but not all album folders with more than 9 tracks. (Windows sorting math vs MMH sorting - examples below) It's odd because it only impacts some album folders.

I've done a fix to sort your files correctly in this beta version Tim: @timbre4

https://reva.blob.core.windows.net/mmh7/Beta/MMHInstaller.msi

I've implemented a new sort algorithm in the tool ' Tag and Rename' when you load files by either 'Add Sub-folders' or 'Add folder'

This will then take a true alphabetic sort of: (which MMH was doing)

and turns it into (like Windows does)

This will solve your issue where your files names don't use leading zeroes. Now MMH adds (internally) the leading zeroes to do a correct alpha sort (but does not change the actual file names) that get loaded.

Let me know how it goes. I did a couple of quick tests which worked as expected (as described above). It should work for numbers in filenames from 1 to 9999.

THX
Garry

Still getting the virus alert but I can wait until the next version, not a biggie. Possibly the current version of my Windows security program is interpreting your code like a "false positive" if that's possible....
I suspect this is the case.

It doesn't help that the 'Windows Defender' settings are very difficult to understand, so it's not obvious how to disable such false positives!

I've done a fix to sort your files correctly in this beta version Tim: @timbre4

I've implemented a new sort algorithm in the tool ' Tag and Rename' when you load files by either 'Add Sub-folders' or 'Add folder'

This will solve your issue where your files names don't use leading zeroes. Now MMH adds (internally) the leading zeroes to do a correct alpha sort (but does not change the actual file names) that get loaded.

Let me know how it goes. I did a couple of quick tests which worked as expected (as described above). It should work for numbers in filenames from 1 to 9999.

THX
Garry
Garry,

Thanks so much for your time and attention to this. I'll get the beta installed ASAP for more album work this weekend.

I used to rename all tracks earlier in initial steps and decided lately there's no point to that labor so just let them be re-named later during tagging. Processing older CDs produces a simple string: Extract from CD 22 - Track 1.wav, whereas a newer CD may also include artist / track name, making the string too long to work with so I trim them down to track # and track name.

Looking back at this batch of 100 album folders, there are more than 10 tracks in maybe half of them, yet this sorting issue only happened 3 times total. My thought was that somehow MMH resorted during the tagging / re-name step. I'm just guessing as to why it's not always an issue.

Last thing to share about tag / rename + artwork steps; sometimes all is fine except the first track becomes 00 instead of 01? No idea what kind of interaction causes that. Here's a couple examples and one extreme case where ALL tracks *after* track 01 were changed to 00.

For sure, you've got much bigger fish to fry than this stuff! Just wanted you to be aware of it. ;)

00 first.jpg

00 second.jpg

all 00 after 01.jpg

Garry - the Beta install was also stopped as a virus. I'm using Chrome browser and found that I could go to Settings > Windows Security > Virus & Threat Protection and turn it off temporarily for a successful download of your installer. (NOTE: the protection will turn itself back on after a time if you forget)
Thanks again for this.

On the virus thing I’ve noticed since a recent Windows update that I can’t download anything containing an executable. About 10 days now, I also use Chrome. Chrome used to allow me to bypass the warning now it’s ’my Organization won’t allow’ or similar message with no bypass option.

I've Windows 10 and the Auto updating has worked with no issues.

I also downloaded the Beta and saved it, Windows said it wasn't 'safe' so I reported it as safe, and then it still wanted to me to delete, but I hit Keep Anyway and it saved it - BTW Norton said no viruses.

Garry,

Thanks so much for your time and attention to this. I'll get the beta installed ASAP for more album work this weekend.

I used to rename all tracks earlier in initial steps and decided lately there's no point to that labor so just let them be re-named later during tagging. Processing older CDs produces a simple string: Extract from CD 22 - Track 1.wav, whereas a newer CD may also include artist / track name, making the string too long to work with so I trim them down to track # and track name.

Looking back at this batch of 100 album folders, there are more than 10 tracks in maybe half of them, yet this sorting issue only happened 3 times total. My thought was that somehow MMH resorted during the tagging / re-name step. I'm just guessing as to why it's not always an issue.

Last thing to share about tag / rename + artwork steps; sometimes all is fine except the first track becomes 00 instead of 01? No idea what kind of interaction causes that. Here's a couple examples and one extreme case where ALL tracks *after* track 01 were changed to 00.

For sure, you've got much bigger fish to fry than this stuff! Just wanted you to be aware of it. ;)

View attachment 104358

View attachment 104359

View attachment 104360

This is because MMH uses each file’s ‘tracknumber’ tag to rename the file. If your files don’t have that tag you can use the ‘renumber’ command at top. Select the files to rename (usually all) then use that command. That auto numbers from first to last file starting from 1.

Or of course you can just set each tracknumber taug in the grid manually.

But now thinking about this maybe MMH could look at the tracknumber tag of all added fikes just added and if they are all blank (not set) then just go ahead and do the auto ‘Renumber’ (1 to xx). That would work ok? Thoughts?

Chrome used to allow me to bypass the warning
Chrome worked for me on Win 11! I only had to click 1 "run anyway" button, and all was well. Edge would not let me click through, after three warnings. Go figure.

@timbre4 (and others with the beta)

I just fixed an issue with the Tagging grid and now when loading from an Add Folder command if all the files loaded have no track number tags MMH adds them.

Please download the new beta (same as previous link - now with Beta 2 build)

@timbre4 (and others with the beta)

I just fixed an issue with the Tagging grid and now when loading from an Add Folder command if all the files loaded have no track number tags MMH adds them.

Please download the new beta (same as previous link - now with Beta 2 build)

Ok one more beta update, now 7.1.23 Beta 3 @timbre4

This one implements improved file name sorting at the grid level, not just on loading the files.

So clicking on the 'Current File Name' grid row header now sorts files like Windows Explorer. Example: 2 before 11, 3 before 23 etc previously the grid sort was alphabetical only)

Dragging multiple files onto the Tagging grid will now auto sort based on the Windows Explorer method)

Garry - sorry to report an odd new issue using the v3 beta MMH:

EDIT: Uninstalled and went back to v1 beta MMH and it's working. I'll use this to get today's batch done.

There are 100 finished album folders on this SSD that open and display full menu options. These open fine in MMH Tag & Rename Media Files window.
However the 40 album folders I added this morning - ready for tag / rename chores are seen to have an issue so I'm not able to proceed.
Have to close the Tag & Rename Media Files window altogether as Clear List is dimmed out.

Here are the two versions of the error I'm seeing so far:
error1.jpg

error2.jpg

Last edited:
@timbre4 When does that first error occur? What command?

I was using beta3 yesterday with no issues. Can you please upload one folder and its files for me to test? (PM me the link)

I’ll take a look asap this morning.

THX

Back