MUSIC ONLY! What's Your Latest Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray-A, Concert or Music-Related?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What part of, "In stock, but delivery may take up to 2 months", don't you seem to understand?

I used google translate -thats what it said up to 2 months. but i appreciate you're letting me know different. i just ordered supertramp through amazon.uk. its says it is in stock. i'll see if the ding my credit card.

As to the packaging - yes, I thoroughly dislike the almost identical to the previous release card and paper case but hi-res surround Beatles trumps presentation for me at least.
amazon.de insists this comes in a standard blu-ray case. I've got their e-mail in writing to show them if mine arrives in cardboard. Ordered it today and the Bom Bom CD Single.

Their e-mail:
Good day

Thank you, that you have used the catalogue entry form to send us information about the product below:

Help! [Blu-ray]
ASIN: B00CRVZRUS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have the picture to this product on the basis of all available existing recognized sources check ft and have come to the conclusion that the current figure is correct. If you are the rights holder f r this product more information to the bermittlung product images at www.amazon.de/bilder.

the DHL man just came with my latest Fnac delivery -
Serge Gainsbourg "Melody Nelson" BDA (SO good to see "5.1" printed on the box, let alone on the disc on one of these Universal things! :mad:@:) and the Pierre Henry Messe Pour Le Temps Present BDA.! YEAY! (y)

Company - 2011 revival bluray.

Worth every penny - Stephen Colbert is a knockout as Harry. If the right Mod is reading - could we have a poll on this one?

photo.jpg

Primus - Sailing the Seas of Cheese... its absolutely amazing demo disc... a lot going on everywhere... Its a must have even if you dont like the music cause its crazy alt rock made crazier!

There is no Poll for Primus yet? Would be great to have one for Blu Ray and for the DVD

The Grateful Dead Movie - Bluray and DVD. Ignore the back cover bluray descriptions - it's the original mix and a new mix in 24/96 DTS-HD Master Audio. The new mix is from the multi-track masters and is more on-the-stage sounding with lots of piano and keyboards plus vocals in the rears. Sounds really nice with the 24/96 giving lovely headroom for everything. It is a busy mix but it never sounds cluttered. Over 5 hours of music spread over both discs with the bonus content being in Dolby Digital 5.1. It does sound very good indeed though - as good as DD allows at any rate. There is also a neat visual/audio demo of the instrument grouping on the original 16 track tape as well. Lovely menus and in all a real labour of love.

photo.jpg

photo.jpg

Primus - Sailing the Seas of Cheese... its absolutely amazing demo disc... a lot going on everywhere... Its a must have even if you dont like the music cause its crazy alt rock made crazier!

There is no Poll for Primus yet? Would be great to have one for Blu Ray and for the DVD
I just got this too!

I have to agree, the mix and sound quality are really good. I need to watch all the visualizers....

QUADROPHENIA - Criterion Bluray

Given the DVDA exclusive and expensive box set of this movie's OST caused much controversy on this forum I feel this post belongs here. I'm hearing the sound track as discrete throughout, but I'll need to really spend some time with this to elaborate on whether the tracks that weren't 5.1 on the DVDA are fully discrete here.

Those quad comments aside, this is a perfect release - flawless in every aspect, suffice to say the Criterion write up below from the booklet describes exactly what is happening here with the new 5.1 mix. I make no apologies for mentioning that the print quality is heart-breakingly beautiful too.

photo.jpg

photo copy.jpg

I'm currently making a detailed comparison of the DVDA that came with the QUADROPHENIA box set against the versions found in the Bluray movie soundtrack mentioned above as well as the additional tracks which didn't make it which Criterion state have been mixed as 5.1 here. I'll check my findings before reporting back.

I'm currently making a detailed comparison of the DVDA that came with the QUADROPHENIA box set against the versions found in the Bluray movie soundtrack mentioned above as well as the additional tracks which didn't make it which Criterion state have been mixed as 5.1 here. I'll check my findings before reporting back.

Thank you IQWT! (y) Look forward to hearing your findings :)

Ok - so to clarify first off that all of the DVDA tracks are present in the movie 5.1 sound track with the same mix and placement. This being the film there is of course more dialogue and FX mixed in but the music gets prominence in the mix and if anything it kicks harder here than the DVDA. The DTS HD Master Audio is 24/48 but is transparent in perceived quality to the DVDA. It's noticeably lifted in the highs with a more rewarding crispness to the cymbals and snares. The songs are also truncated where appropriate to onscreen activity with fade outs and ins alongside start-stop breaks.

But the real thrill is that some of the rest of the tracks that were missing from the DVDA are here and they're fully discrete. They are; I'm One, Bell Boy, Zoot Suit and Get Out And Stay Out. These ones at least were found in part through the chapter names, I've yet to highlight any others.

'Bell Boy' is superb with phantom rear centre for the weird backward synth line just after Keith Moon kicks in on the mockney vocals front and centre with the harmonies coming in like a viking monty python chorus from the rears alongside honking synths.

'I'm One' is short but sweet with alternate guitar and pianos in the rears chiming out against their opposite numbers in the fronts with a really pleasant reverb that swells to fill the room. Blink and you'll miss it though.

'Get Out And Stay Out' kicks in from the rears and anchors the pianos and bass behind you with crisp guitars in the front left and percussion spread across the front. Townsend sits a little lower in the mix front centre. I'm watching this as they intended but it's clear from the mix that you do indeed need to turn it up and you can and I did. A lot.

'Zoot Suit' begins all around you in plaintive style, all shimmering cymbals and swells elegantly until the angry growl of Moon's drums falling down yet another endless stairwell cascades through the front as pin sharp keyboards and pianos ring out with real urgency from all corners.

More punch without distortion as you crank the volume really supports the spectacular job they've done to the movie itself, this sonic upgrade actually works in harmony with the picture - the rear sound field constantly in use either defining space through judicious reverb or full blown directional fx describing action seen and unseen.

What have we learned? Assuming you have a Bluray player and if you like the film or soundtrack enough to buy the DVDA box set then the additional expense here is negligible to add the film in incredible quality to the music you already have where it rightfully belongs; alongside it's brethren in glorious 5.1. If you don't own the DVDA box set then you're equally cursed and blessed because you get the extra tracks but at the cost of most of them being minorly truncated but it's a small penalty compared to hearing the mighty Who thunder around you over the course of the film. Phil Daniel's anguish is so perfectly rendered in the print - those incredible eyes piercing right through the immense music like amphetamine powered laser beams.

But what about the huge quadraphonic pink elephant on dexedrine in the room? I've no idea if these additional tracks existed before the release of the box set but I'm going to go with after because it makes no sense that if they were finished that they weren't originally included. With the four tracks I've mentioned here it makes 12 tracks in total from the original soundtrack which must make it worthy of a possible BDA release. Maybe even a combined Bluray and BDA release? I'm not aware of the reasons why the DVDA is incomplete and these additional tracks don't render it complete but they are clearly fully mixed session masters and they're sitting in a near line condition somewhere right now and they're just ripe for it.

'I don't suppose you remember me, I used to follow you back in 63'

3 Blu-ray audio from HMV.co.jp, shipped on Tuesday, here today. Wow! And one other from amazon.de

Attachments

• blurrybluaudio.jpg
    blurrybluaudio.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 294
Spinal Tap - Up to 11 Edition

I'm giving this a mention because the DTS HD Master Audio surround mix for the live performances does carry a little more in the rears than you might expect. The sound is full and lively, arguably the Tap have probably never sounded better. This edition also includes the 'Return Of..' live at The Royal Albert Hall in PCM stereo. Less than £9, definitely goes up to 11.

photo (7).jpg

Back