My barely new batteries exploded in the remote...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For years and years I only ever used Duracell alkaline batteries- lasted for ages, ultra reliable. But over the last couple of years I've had several sets of different sizes that have leaked and corroded in use (although never in storage). Probably an improvement in the design! I've gone back to Energiser. No more problems.

For years and years I only ever used Duracell alkaline batteries- lasted for ages, ultra reliable. But over the last couple of years I've had several sets of different sizes that have leaked and corroded in use (although never in storage). Probably an improvement in the design! I've gone back to Energiser. No more problems.
LOL that’s why I switched to Duracell, I got some of the Bunnies that leaked also 🤷‍♂️
they just don’t make stuff to last anymore; plenty of problems with mass production and slipping quality control (Blu-ray disc rot anyone?)

I buy generic. Because I'm a cheapo. I mean, I have no clue which batteries last the longest. I don't keep a diary. So.....
I learned my lesson when I wanted a replacement remote for my old Marantz receiver, cost me $70, due to cheapo batts. toasted it.
Pay me now or pay me later I guess.

I learned my lesson when I wanted a replacement remote for my old Marantz receiver, cost me $70, due to cheapo batts. toasted it.
Pay me now or pay me later I guess.
Really? Dang. I've purchased generic forever it seems. Never had an issue. Other than an occasional battery DOA.

yup, the Dura..brand
2 AAA in the Marantz remote..
question..can I s... take Leg*l action???
Hey wait a minute. Doesn't "barely new" equate to "really used"??

Semantics, semantics.

I have had poor results with generic brands but Energizer or Duracell both have a history of working well for me. Unlike J. Pupster I usually buy the copper top mega-packs at COSTCO with no problems.

Hey wait a minute. Doesn't "barely new" equate to "really used"??

Semantics, semantics.

I have had poor results with generic brands but Energizer or Duracell both have a history of working well for me. Unlike J. Pupster I usually buy the copper top mega-packs at COSTCO with no problems.
Yes, but are they the Costco branded batts?

I’ve actually had good luck with Duracell, the ones that leaked like hell for me were Costco brand; I threw out a bunch of ‘em!
Oops edit (recycled actually)

I've had both Costco/Kirkland brand and "10-Year" Duracells purchased at Costco leak on me in recent years. Lesson: don't buy batteries at Costco? (But they're so cheap....)

Last edited:
A few years back after then ten jillionth infuriating leak incident I switched to 100% Eneloops. No leaks ever and since they're easy to recharge, I never run out of batteries.

FWIW, Duracells were absolutely the worst for me. I'd blame the local climate, but J. Pupster is just down the road and says they work for him, so maybe the universe is just tormenting me.

I'm at the point now where I wish batteries were never included because they just go straight into the hazardous waste box.

Don't remember every having a problem with either Dura's or Energ. I just recently had a leaker in a remote that was some no-name cheapo that came with it. I'll usually buy the biggest bulk pack of D or E I can get at Wallys' on sale. I think it's more a matter of luck which ones work for you and which give your trouble.

The original poster said they "exploded", but everyone has subsequently spoke about their experiences with leaky batteries. There's a big difference.

I thought only lithium ions explode. Yet... I looked it up, and lo and behold, alkalines can explode if they can't vent their gases. I'm surprised a major brand would be that shoddy. Well, maybe not that surprised. Product quality has indeed been going downhill across the board, since price became the only selling point for products, and manufacturers adjusted.

See the source image
ASSAULT .... AND BATTERY?

I switched TO Duracell to avoid leaky batteries; no luck. But I was so angry at Duracell that I called them. They sent money to cover the cost of the ruined device (I can't remember which device) and a coupon for free batteries. It happened to a second device later and once more they covered the cost of the item plus free batteries. Some proof is necessary. I believe there's a number on the batteries that they want plus perhaps proof that you owned what you claim was ruined.

I have since learned that I can often clean the device with q-tips and vinegar (if an alkaline battery).

I have also decided to pick a date and annually replace the batteries in my remotes, etc. This is recent, so it will take some time to see if this method is successful.

Well, what works for smoke detector batteries, as recommended by fire departments...
I have also decided to pick a date and annually replace the batteries in my remotes, etc.
...is at the asinine annual daylight savings time "spring ahead" switch-over.

Hard to forget given all the broadcast reminders to "change your clocks tonight!" to which all dutifully obeisant lemmings comply twice a year.

Back