New 2023 onward AVRs with HDMI 2.1 - Media Player users beware!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerJAU

Moderator: MCH Media Players
Staff member
I just bought a new Denon AVR-X4800H (HDMI 2.1) AVR and my two Intel NUC8’s with HDMI 2.0a will not play TrueHD (inc Atmos TrueHD) or DTS-HDMA via pass-through using Kodi.

Another QQ member here with a new Marantz 2023 AVR (with HDMI 2.1) has same issue.

I resolved my issue by using an Intel NUC12 (with HDMI 2.1) using Kodi. The Marantz user bought a new mini PC to solve his issue.

So just a heads up, it’s possible other media players devices without HDMI 2.1 may same similar ‘No HD audio via pass-through’ issues. Buyer Beware.

My test Fire Stick 4K Max (with HDMI 2.1) has no issues on the X4800H.

EDIT: Issues solved by updating my Intel NUC8 HDMI firmware to latest version (Feb 2 2024)

Last edited:
Pay attention to these kind of posts folks!
Be aggressive with returns for refund.

Things evolve and not everything can be backwards compatible. Not everything like this is software spoofing. Could be an innocent design flaw. Sure sounds like someone made a choice to not allow input from HDMI 2.0 though.

That is unfortunate. :(
I recently bought a Yamaha Aventage RX-A6A, which also has HDMI v2.1 ports. My Intel NUC8 plays TrueHD/Atmos and DTS-HDMA via pass-through using Kodi just fine.
Could the issue be Kodi/LibreELEC version related?
I will report back after work tonight what version of Kodi/LE I am using in my NUC8.

Pay attention to these kind of posts folks!
Be aggressive with returns for refund.

Things evolve and not everything can be backwards compatible. Not everything like this is software spoofing. Could be an innocent design flaw. Sure sounds like someone made a choice to not allow input from HDMI 2.0 though.
Perhaps it makes sense to get older equipment repaired instead of upgrading to new gear that will only give us lots of angst like this.

Perhaps it makes sense to get older equipment repaired instead of upgrading to new gear that will only give us lots of angst like this.
Indeed!
There's always a threshold for repair vs replace. I don't mean to be stubborn or in denial with that. I just like seeing working still relevant equipment stay in service. Product testing and software testing and insuring backwards compatibility when the hardware should support it isn't exactly an unknown thing. This sounds like the same kind of thing Dolby is pulling using Atmos intentionally as encoding to sell new hardware. HDMI was already an offender for this kind of thing long before that.

The computer approach can offer a solution as usual. A new HDMI pci card or thunderbolt connecting hub version. The stand alone disc player with HDMI to AVR will be shut down though. These products are probably a minefield too.

I just bought a new Denon AVR-X4800H (HDMI 2.1) AVR and my two Intel NUC8’s with HDMI 2.0a will not play TrueHD (inc Atmos TrueHD) or DTS-HDMA via pass-through using Kodi.

Another QQ member here with a new Marantz 2023 AVR (with HDMI 2.1) has same issue.

I resolved my issue by using an Intel NUC12 (with HDMI 2.1) using Kodi. The Marantz user bought a new mini PC to solve his issue.

So just a heads up, it’s possible other media players devices without HDMI 2.1 may same similar ‘No HD audio via pass-through’ issues. Buyer Beware.

My test Fire Stick 4K Max (with HDMI 2.1) has no issues on the X4800H.
Is this to do with the *%@£$* HDCP?

My NUC8i7BEH wouldn't even connect to my old Pioneer SC-LX86 as the NUC cannot 'downgrade' due to having no backwards compatibility for HDCP. I haven't bothered connecting it to my new Denon X8500HA or even my Odroid N2 with Kodi for that matter as my disc based to-listen-to mountain is too big.

Is this to do with the *%@£$* HDCP?

My NUC8i7BEH wouldn't even connect to my old Pioneer SC-LX86 as the NUC cannot 'downgrade' due to having no backwards compatibility for HDCP. I haven't bothered connecting it to my new Denon X8500HA or even my Odroid N2 with Kodi for that matter as my disc based to-listen-to mountain is too big.
I'm wondering Duncan, if a simple switcher like this one would allow the HDCP and other?
it states: forward compatible?

https://www.amazon.com/llano-Bi-Dir...ku+apple+tv+fire+stick+sony+tv,aps,186&sr=8-1

That is unfortunate. :(
I recently bought a Yamaha Aventage RX-A6A, which also has HDMI v2.1 ports. My Intel NUC8 plays TrueHD/Atmos and DTS-HDMA via pass-through using Kodi just fine.
Could the issue be Kodi/LibreELEC version related?
I will report back after work tonight what version of Kodi/LE I am using in my NUC8.

That’s good news. That means it’s not the HDMI 2.1 it’s more likely to be a Denon/Marantz firmware with NUC8 then, or maybe Kodi Omega

Could you check what version of your NUCs firmware too please?

I'm wondering Duncan, if a simple switcher like this one would allow the HDCP and other?
it states: forward compatible?

https://www.amazon.com/llano-Bi-Dir...ku+apple+tv+fire+stick+sony+tv,aps,186&sr=8-1
I tried a few all didn't work or sort of half worked. Plugging the NUC into my Oppo 203's HDMI i/p worked! But I didn't want to 'waste' the Oppo. I did eventually buy an HDFury Integral 2 | HDFury.com | Connect and Fix everything in HDMI HDMI convertor, but by the time I got it I'd decided to go over to ATMOS so was going to get a new AVR - so never used it. As I've now got the Denon AVR I really ought to try and check whether the NUC & Odroid will work directly with it, if not I can try the HDFury.

Could you check what version of your NUCs firmware too please?
Here is information about my NUC8i3BEK:
LibreELEC: nightly-20230514-e7ccb95 12.0 (kernel: Linux 6.3.2)
BIOS Version: BECFL357.86A.0089.2021.0621.1343

Let me know if there is any other info you need, including how to obtain it. :)

Here is information about my NUC8i3BEK:

Thanks. That deepens the mystery:
Your LibreElec version is 8 months older than mine - The issue could my newer Linux build, now at 6.6.14 or something in LibreElec itself (drivers, 3rd party libraries etc)
I think my BIOS is newer too, but I need to check.

I’m thinking I should do a brand new LibreElec install, not an update. I’ve just been updating for a couple of years. Maybe a full install might clean up the issue.

And of course, maybe it’s not directly related to HDMI 2.1, it maybe incompatible with the Denon/Marantz firmware on their 2013 AVRs. Unless others report the issue I doubt Denon will do anything.

It’s a bit of a rabbit hole. I’ve reported my issue to Kodi devs, no response. I think I’ll do a fresh install and that’s as far as I go for the time being as the NUC 12 Pro has solved my immediate issue.

Thanks again for the follow up info!

I'm using BIOS Version: BECFL357.86A.0087.2020.1209.1115 on both my NUC8s. Trying to find latest BIOS but Intel website is no cooperative. They've moved NUC support to Asus, Asus don't have NUC8 info/files...

I also have a HDMI FW update v1.78.4.0.4 for the NUC8 - NUC8ixBE-HDMI-FW-Update-Version 1.78.4.0.4.zip
Intel Website Link
I really do not remember if I installed it or not - it requires a Windows 10 install on the NUC. I think I have only used LibreELEC on my NUC. Do you know if there is a way to retrieve the HDMI FW version on the NUC? I looked in the BIOS but could not find anything.
I hope this helps!

Last edited:
You're in luck.
I still have the BIOS file.
Google Drive link

Thanks!

I found the latest 094 Bios release in Jan 2024 but that does not solve my NUC8 TrueHD/DTS-HDMA issue on my Denon X4800H.

I’m not sure if I can now go back to 089 version but I’ll give it a shot on my 2nd NUC8 that still has 087 tomorrow.

Hey Garry, I think this is the issue I ran into when I first set up my NUC. I bought a new in box 7th Gen model and after following your setup guide, everything worked great except my AVR (Onkyo RZ-50 with HDMI 2.1) wouldn't decode lossless Dolby Atmos files. It would just play them back as 7.1.

The HDMI firmware update did the trick though. Just search your model number and HDMI firmware and you should be able to locate the correct firmware for your model. You need to update each HDMI port separately. You'd think they'd work that into the general BIOS update but nope.

I still love my Libre Elec setup, so thanks again for posting the excellent guide!

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...nstall-configure-on-windows.30683/post-653568

Back