My new Surround Master V3

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you send me some file examples?
Perhaps an Involve decode and a S&IC or QSD-1 decode of the same material for comparison?

Although It might be simpler to simply listen to the unit bypassed perhaps as double stereo and then listen to the Involve output. The change in sound quality (disregarding directional effects) should be obvious, or at least noticeable.

I remember someone complaining about weak bass from the Involve decoder. I've noticed that with several vintage decoders as well. Many decoders use much to low a value of output capacitor. Units may test flat into a normal load (whatever that is) but into a lowish impedance bass response will drop. People forget or are unaware that if each piece of equipment is rated down to say 20Hz, that usually means -3dB at 20 Hz, so the poles compound causing even more bass loss overall. The Composer used 10µF for all outputs and on the input, pushing the low frequency drop off away down. I never notice any reduction of bass frequencies. I replaced the output capacitors in the QSD-1 changing from 1µF up to the same value used in the S&IC (10µF). The sound (bass) quality improved greatly, tonally it's now about the same as the Composer.

I never understood why most op-amp based circuits (operated from bipolar power supplies) almost always include unneeded coupling capacitors, they are best left out! I still remember a brief while when DC coupled audio circuitry was a big thing!

Perhaps an Involve decode and a S&IC or QSD-1 decode of the same material for comparison?

Although It might be simpler to simply listen to the unit bypassed perhaps as double stereo and then listen to the Involve output. The change in sound quality (disregarding directional effects) should be obvious, or at least noticeable.

I remember someone complaining about weak bass from the Involve decoder. I've noticed that with several vintage decoders as well. Many decoders use much to low a value of output capacitor. Units may test flat into a normal load (whatever that is) but into a lowish impedance bass response will drop. People forget or are unaware that if each piece of equipment is rated down to say 20Hz, that usually means -3dB at 20 Hz, so the poles compound causing even more bass loss overall. The Composer used 10µF for all outputs and on the input, pushing the low frequency drop off away down. I never notice any reduction of bass frequencies. I replaced the output capacitors in the QSD-1 changing from 1µF up to the same value used in the S&IC (10µF). The sound (bass) quality improved greatly, tonally it's now about the same as the Composer.

I never understood why most op-amp based circuits (operated from bipolar power supplies) almost always include unneeded coupling capacitors, they are best left out! I still remember a brief while when DC coupled audio circuitry was a big thing!
Need the source stereo file to

Regarding weak bass, I've often wondered if it is simply that most recorded bass is mono-centric? So, similar to a phantom center vocal, there isn't much of the mono-centric bass routed to the rear speakers. Consequently, the overall treble output increases disproportionately to the original stereo mix.

The Lexicon Logic7 decoder spread the bass among the seven speakers which usually sounded quite nice. However, recordings with strong bass often presented with an overwhelming low end.

My gut feeling is that it will be in 2024 as Dave's dance card is really booked full. I think we will add a synthesizer mode as suggested by Sonik and other. I suggested a test program for Dave the other day to explore ways of enhancing the decode further. We might move to the new super DSP chip (costing $300 right now!!) as there were some short cuts I have been keeping secret from you guys we had to do to fit it all into the old DSP that we could mop up. Still thinking of ways around the wretched HDMI (PUKE).

Oh the next batch of V3 will be in the new sexy case
What's that new case look like?

What's that new case look like?
Sorry, but I just can't help posting this....

attache_case.jpg

Attachments

• 20211013 Minipreamp_RENDER_1.61.png
    20211013 Minipreamp_RENDER_1.61.png
    463.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211013 Minipreamp_RENDER_1.64.png
    20211013 Minipreamp_RENDER_1.64.png
    657.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211013 Minipreamp_RENDER_1.65.png
    20211013 Minipreamp_RENDER_1.65.png
    802.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211013 Minipreamp_RENDER_1.69.png
    20211013 Minipreamp_RENDER_1.69.png
    622.6 KB · Views: 0
Thanks much chucky for the link. I've heard such good things about this V3 from fellow QQ members here, that I just purchased a scratched one. Thanks also for discount code for QQ members.
Looking forward to hearing this one in the system!
Welcome to the Matrix, once your in, you'll never find your way out :)

Just got my Surround Master v3 two days ago. Wasn't sure if I would like it, given my system is all solid state - Exasound s88 7.1 channel DAC ROON Ready with Exasound Delta ROON Core, Coleman 7.1 channel switcher (as also have Marantz AV7706 SSP and TCL 75" Mini-LED 4k TV), front/center/right Totem Audio Onwall Tribe Vs with PS Audio Stellar M1200 monoblocks, surround left/right Totem Audio Onwall Tribe IIIs with PS Audio Stellar M700 monoblocks, pair of REL S510 subs in front and pair of REL T9i subs in back. Up to now, my two channel has been stellar, and multi-channel even better!

But darn. Connected for now the Surround Master for front left and right and surround left and right, using in quadraphonic 4.0 mode. Note my REL subs for this purpose are connected via high level input with all main speakers running full range (I find Totems sound best this way as well). And my conclusion with lots of listening to 2 converted to 4 channel is WOW WOW WOW! Really outstanding. The surrounds are ever present - yet it all sounds so natural, like the recording being played in live good sounding venue. Very impressed!
Best for the buck audio by ever.

I can't say I was expecting this - in that I expected that in some cases my "pure" 2 channel would sound better than using the Surround Master v3 in quad 4 channel. But using the quad 4 channel is a revelation.

Note that for grandchild proofing purposes, I have all on wall speakers. But I have a large large family room extending into an open kitchen and beyond with large open and irregular surfaces and it sound great (surprisingly) without any acoustics treatments or even room correction for low frequencies! And my speaker cabling is all in wall, in front low grade Audioquest in wall but doubled up, and old 14 guage Monster Cable in the wall for the surrounds. Maybe exotic audio cables would make a difference??? But color me ecstaticly satisfied.

Attachments

• IMG_6296.jpg
    IMG_6296.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6297.jpg
    IMG_6297.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7904.jpg
    IMG_7904.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7905.jpg
    IMG_7905.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7906.jpg
    IMG_7906.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7907.jpg
    IMG_7907.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7908.jpg
    IMG_7908.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7909.jpg
    IMG_7909.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7910.jpg
    IMG_7910.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 0
Just got my Surround Master v3 two days ago. Wasn't sure if I would like it, given my system is all solid state - Exasound s88 7.1 channel DAC ROON Ready with Exasound Delta ROON Core, Coleman 7.1 channel switcher (as also have Marantz AV7706 SSP and TCL 75" Mini-LED 4k TV), front/center/right Totem Audio Onwall Tribe Vs with PS Audio Stellar M1200 monoblocks, surround left/right Totem Audio Onwall Tribe IIIs with PS Audio Stellar M700 monoblocks, pair of REL S510 subs in front and pair of REL T9i subs in back. Up to now, my two channel has been stellar, and multi-channel even better!

But darn. Connected for now the Surround Master for front left and right and surround left and right, using in quadraphonic 4.0 mode. Note my REL subs for this purpose are connected via high level input with all main speakers running full range (I find Totems sound best this way as well). And my conclusion with lots of listening to 2 converted to 4 channel is WOW WOW WOW! Really outstanding. The surrounds are ever present - yet it all sounds so natural, like the recording being played in live good sounding venue. Very impressed!
Best for the buck audio by ever.

I can't say I was expecting this - in that I expected that in some cases my "pure" 2 channel would sound better than using the Surround Master v3 in quad 4 channel. But using the quad 4 channel is a revelation.

Note that for grandchild proofing purposes, I have all on wall speakers. But I have a large large family room extending into an open kitchen and beyond with large open and irregular surfaces and it sound great (surprisingly) without any acoustics treatments or even room correction for low frequencies! And my speaker cabling is all in wall, in front low grade Audioquest in wall but doubled up, and old 14 guage Monster Cable in the wall for the surrounds. Maybe exotic audio cables would make a difference??? But color me ecstaticly satisfied.
Congrats for discovering what many of us have been enjoying for some time! You're going to have a lot of fun, rediscovering your record and CD collection. And if you have any QS, EV, or SQ quad records, you'll finally hear them in their full glory. You have a great system there; you just made it better. Enjoy!

Back