MY RECOMMENDED CHEAPO BEST DVD PLAYER ON THE MARKET

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Chucky, did you notice this in the manual? :p

1599566981148.png

Hey I did not say the friggin thing was perfect, clearly they are delusional!!!! And I do not read manuals.
Proof you have no connection with the company (y)
Overall I like HDMI but do have problems. I have a Fetchbox and cannot connect it through my amplifer with HDMI to my TV (admittedly 12 years old TV) - yet the Fetchbox will connect directly to the TV without any (copy protection) issues. Weird.

Proof you have no connection with the company (y)
Overall I like HDMI but do have problems. I have a Fetchbox and cannot connect it through my amplifer with HDMI to my TV (admittedly 12 years old TV) - yet the Fetchbox will connect directly to the TV without any (copy protection) issues. Weird.
I had similar problems in that I could not extract the sound from my fetch box to my beloved RCA. I tried several seperators and no luck, eventually I got a HDMI splitter one went to the TV and the other output to a separate HDMI to RCA extractor and it worked. Hopeless.

* It plays multichannel flac and DSF via USB or DLNA. When I first tried DLNA it played multichannel files in stereo only, but after the firmware update it played them in 5.1.

HELP!!

After making the above statement earlier in this thread I went back to check the capabilities of this player for a friend. I can no longer get it to play multichannel flacs via USB or DLNA. I have it connected via HDMI and if I play a movie mkv from the same USB or DLNA source I get multichannel sound from the receiver, so I'm guessing it's nothing to do with the connection from the Laser to the receiver. I even tried flacs at 48/24 (rather than just 96/24) and that made no difference.

I downloaded the latest firmware here: https://www.laserco.com.au/download/data/support/BLU-BD3000/BLU-BD3000_Firmware_Update_20112020.zip but that made no difference, nor did resetting to factory defaults.

Could somebody that has this player please confirm that it does indeed play multichannel flacs correctly? I think I'm going mad!

HELP!!

After making the above statement earlier in this thread I went back to check the capabilities of this player for a friend. I can no longer get it to play multichannel flacs via USB or DLNA. I have it connected via HDMI and if I play a movie mkv from the same USB or DLNA source I get multichannel sound from the receiver, so I'm guessing it's nothing to do with the connection from the Laser to the receiver. I even tried flacs at 48/24 (rather than just 96/24) and that made no difference.

I downloaded the latest firmware here: https://www.laserco.com.au/download/data/support/BLU-BD3000/BLU-BD3000_Firmware_Update_20112020.zip but that made no difference, nor did resetting to factory defaults.

Could somebody that has this player please confirm that it does indeed play multichannel flacs correctly? I think I'm going mad!
Works fine on flac for me

HELP!!

Multi channel FLACs play fine on my one. I've never updated the firmware though so can't say if that put the spanner in your works.

I've emailed these guys before https://www.laserco.com.au/contact and they responded in the same day so it might pay to let them know their latest firmware firmly put a stop to something that weren't broke to begin with.

Multi channel FLACs play fine on my one. I've never updated the firmware though so can't say if that put the spanner in your works.

I've emailed these guys before https://www.laserco.com.au/contact and they responded in the same day so it might pay to let them know their latest firmware firmly put a stop to something that weren't broke to begin with.
Thanks Tim & Chucky. I sent a request to the contact provided above but have not heard back yet. I'm going to try it with a dsf file but I'm not holding my breath.

It's funny that it would only play mch flacs in stereo when I first bought it, but an upgrade to the latest firmware at the time fixed the problem. Then out of the blue it won't play them in mch again. I know I mentioned that I'd updated the firmware again, but I'm pretty sure it was the same version as I put on last year. Hmmm...

Here's a laugh. A couple of years ago, or so, I bought a cheap (25 bucks) onn CD/DVD player.

I only played CDs on it for about a year and the fidelity was not that great but...tone controls. Finally tried a DVD and it doesn't play DVDs.

Not worth the bother to take it back.

Doug

Well I just heard back from Laserco - the response was "Sorry, This device doesn't play FLAC files". Goes to show the standard of their product knowledge, so I guess I'm on my own!

Hey Tim & Chucky, could you please have a look at your setup screens and verify that everything here looks okay?

In file "2 Audio output" the only option available under configuration is "2.x". Seems weird - do you have 5.1 available for example?

In file "3 Speaker settings" the only options that can be selected are "Lt/Rt" or "Stereo". Don't even know why they have a speaker settings section as there is no 5.1 analogue out available.

File "4 System information" is showing what I presume is the firmware version - "5125"

Cheers,

Attachments

• 1 Audio Settings.jpg
    1 Audio Settings.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 2 Audio output.jpg
    2 Audio output.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 3 Speaker settings.jpg
    3 Speaker settings.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 4 System information.jpg
    4 System information.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Well I just heard back from Laserco - the response was "Sorry, This device doesn't play FLAC files". Goes to show the standard of their product knowledge, so I guess I'm on my own!

Hey Tim & Chucky, could you please have a look at your setup screens and verify that everything here looks okay?

In file "2 Audio output" the only option available under configuration is "2.x". Seems weird - do you have 5.1 available for example?

In file "3 Speaker settings" the only options that can be selected are "Lt/Rt" or "Stereo". Don't even know why they have a speaker settings section as there is no 5.1 analogue out available.

File "4 System information" is showing what I presume is the firmware version - "5125"

Cheers,
I've just checked my settings and they're the same as yours (including the "2.x" setting and no option for "5.1" or anything else) except my Firmware is 3827 - an oldie! As I mentioned, I've never updated it cos I'm a "if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it" guy.

I double-checked and played a 5.1 24/192 FLAC and 5.1 DSF, and both output 5.1 (I checked with my ears and the receiver said so too).

I had a look through the rest of the player's settings and can't find where the culprit might be so am leaning towards a firmware update being the likely suspect. Seems a weird thing for them to restrict though given that FLAC is a free file format. Unless they just plain messed something up. In which case, they may fix it with another FW update soon?

Not sure what other help I can be but if you need me to check anything else on mine, just let me know. I'm happy to fire it up and poke around.

I'd rather buy a used Sony bluray for half that on ebay.
They will rip SACD's too. ;)
True to a point - but here in Oz a decent 2nd hand Sony will set you back A$100 on eBay which is the same price as this Laser which comes with a 3 year warranty. I have bought a Sony for ripping but you can never have too many player options! Actually, I only bought the Laser because of Chucky's post! :rolleyes:

True to a point - but here in Oz a decent 2nd hand Sony will set you back A$100 on eBay which is the same price as this Laser which comes with a 3 year warranty. I have bought a Sony for ripping but you can never have too many player options! Actually, I only bought the Laser because of Chucky's post! :rolleyes:
I thought of something else as soon as I was away from my computer yesterday: When you're navigating the file structure of the drive you've got plugged into the machine, have you tried going into the "All" folder (assuming your firmware still has that option) to see if your FLACs play when accessed that way? There might be "Music" and "Video" folders by which you can access your files too and see if they play. The reason I thought of it is that I've inadvertently viewed files through the "wrong" folder and it throws the file order all out of whack. Perhaps it also makes some files unplayable? Inadvertently trying to access FLACs via the "Video" route on my Sony X800 won't play nuttin' so I thought maybe the Laser does something similar.

I also checked the manual and there's no mention of FLAC anywhere but they definitely play on my one. The manual also mentions that the
"2X" refers to "(configuration when seven channels are connected)" so it should play up to 7.1.

Last edited:
I thought of something else as soon as I was away from my computer yesterday: When you're navigating the file structure of the drive you've got plugged into the machine, have you tried going into the "All" folder (assuming your firmware still has that option) to see if your FLACs play when accessed that way? There might be "Music" and "Video" folders by which you can access your files too and see if they play. The reason I thought of it is that I've inadvertently viewed files through the "wrong" folder and it throws the file order all out of whack. Perhaps it also makes some files unplayable? Inadvertently trying to access FLACs via the "Video" route on my Sony X800 won't play nuttin' so I thought maybe the Laser does something similar.

I also checked the manual and there's no mention of FLAC anywhere but they definitely play on my one. The manual also mentions that the
"2X" refers to "(configuration when seven channels are connected)" so it should play up to 7.1.
Thanks for the ongoing suggestions Tim. Yes, I've already tried navigating via the "All" folder and it makes no difference. Going via "Music" is the same. The FLACs do play, just not in 5.1. There's a guy locally selling one on marketplace for A$45 and I'm thinking of taking a punt that's it has earlier firmware and getting it...

Thanks for the ongoing suggestions Tim. Yes, I've already tried navigating via the "All" folder and it makes no difference. Going via "Music" is the same. The FLACs do play, just not in 5.1. There's a guy locally selling one on marketplace for A$45 and I'm thinking of taking a punt that's it has earlier firmware and getting it...
OK, last ditch attempt at a fix from perusing the manual (accessed via the General menu and System submenu):

Picture1.png

I have no idea what it will do but just thought I'd mention it if you wanna risk it. Good luck!

Back