New Alan Parsons in surround! "The Secret" out in April

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My worst nightmare...MORE MATH:ROFLMAO:...and the listening level(66db) seems to be the trademark of Marpow...I'm dazed and confused...what happened to my friend...someone has obviously kidnapped Gos:unsure:..and the last straw...DECIMAL POINTS😨

It's called "too much time on my hands". lol
I had to do it because several things come into play with this title.

• At lower levels, I didn't like at all...I needed to boost the volume.
  • I'm bored.
  • If I knee jerk voted...I'd vote low....so I had to break it down, song by song and let the averages be what they will.
I know, I know. Finally, I didn't do any math...I let excel do it for me. :dance

This reminds me of the initial reactions to THE MISSION(Styx)....there won't be a consensus on this one🤓

Because, IMO, Clint, neither had that classic STYX or Alan Parsons Project magic! Elements, yes but not the real deal. Had neither been remixed into 5.1 [a HUGE plus, IMO], would we REALLY have paid attention to either?

Just like a classic motion picture that suffers from too many mediocre SEQUELS.

For you poll freaks, we'll post a poll in a bit. No need to rush it into existence. It's best for folks to live with the title a bit before a rush to voting. So give it time for digestion.

And oh yeah, I just ran the poll update, so make sure you refresh your browser when you check out the poll results page.

On the technical side, I found it perplexing that it was recorded in Pro Tools HD via a Rupert Neve design 5088 analogue console and mixed in stereo and 5.1 surround to Tascam 1~bit DSD and then converted to PCM DTS 96/24 for final release. As I stated in a previous post..... Had AP released THE SECRET on single a hybrid multichannel SACD it might've been less expensive in the long run as there would no need for a separate RBCD and creating the rather sparse video accompaniment and the stereo/5.1 mixes would've thus been LOSSLESS.
I ripped it yesterday, and it ripped to 24/48, not 24/96, both the 5.1 and 2.0 DTS tracks. I cant say I understand the format conversions either, but I'm certainly no expert. I do find it odd that the two Project releases were BRD, but for this we get DTS. Still I cant really fault the fidelity.

I like much of what I have heard so far. As Lights Fall and the Lou Gramm are standouts for me. Seems like an excellent mix thus far too.

I need to give this another couple of listens, but I'm currently at a meh. I agree with the above folks who like the mix but find most of the songs lyric-heavy and musically uninteresting. Still, the price is certainly right and I'll give this more time this weekend.

This is one of those albums that seems like it may be divisive around here, but that's why some albums end up at the top of the polls, others not so much, lol. Content-wise, I find it pretty enjoyable throughout, although some songs are a bit bland for me. I tend to like "symphonic rock" and classical music, so "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" is a standout for me. The fidelity is decent... at first I thought that the drums were a bit muffled, but I think my problem is more a function of issues I have with the mix than the fidelity. The surround mix is very discrete, as I would expect from Alan Parsons, but I'm not experiencing the sonic bliss I've experienced with some of his other surround mixes such as "Dark Side of the Moon", "Eye in The Sky", "Tales of Mystery...", or heck, even the slightly less impressive "On Air". For most of the songs I find the vocals far too hot (especially "Miracle)... so if I adjust the volume to a level where the vocals are enjoyable, the music tends to be too low in the mix. The vocals sound pretty well balanced on "Fly To Me" and "Requiem", however. I don't know... I'm frustrated that such good content created and mixed by a master engineer isn't sounding so great to me... especially when people I usually agree with are loving it (GOS, edisonbaggins)... makes me wonder if I'm having hearing issues or something. Anyway, my vote breakdown is content=2, fidelity=3, mix=1.5, and I'll give 0.5 bonus points for the price/package, so 7 overall.

I need to spend more time wth it, but I find myself mostly agreeing with you. The lead vocal is indeed really in your face on "Miracle" and it pretty much wrecks the track (not that I was a big fan of it in the first place, lol).

I definitely like the album as a whole much better than On Air, and the mix is typical AP: mostly quad (though I think one track has a bit of spoken word or narration in the center) and very discrete. Lots of guitar, piano, brass, and backing vocals in the rears. As with Eye In The Sky, the grander tracks with orchestral accompaniment throw the listener right in the middle of the orchestra.

Some memorable moments for me so far are the front/rear split vocals on "Soiree Fantastique", the sax blasting out of the right front channel in "Requiem", and Parsons' processed backing vocals jumping from left rear to right rear in "The Limelight Fades Away".

It's competent stuff, it's cheap, and it's got a nice surround mix. I really can't see any reason not to give it a shot :)

Last edited:
I haven’t listened in surround due to my current living situation being “small apartment.” On first listen I think the stereo is pretty good but really can’t wait until I get to hear it in surround. The material is average to better than. The vocals: love Jason Mraz but his song was a little bland. The other vocalists were good right up until I thought one of them sounded like I imagine Dennis DeYoung sounds at his current age. Subsequently I thought they all sounded like elderly DDY which caused a lot of despair. Why would Alan Parson latch onto DDY and put him on so many songs? Anyway, reading the credits cleared that up and I am just fine now. A lot of different people sing on this and not one is DDY. Music and (stereo) sound were very good. It’s not expensive and I appreciate AP giving us something modern in surround even if I can’t hear it yet. 7, maybe 8 for stereo.

I've listened to this a few times now and I think its really good. As a long time Alan Parsons Project fan I would have liked a couple more instrumentals, and yes the songs are mostly on the mellow side, but the songs are good and are growing on me with repeated listens. The surround mix is effective and appropriate. Its so nice to have new music in surround, and for £14 its a bargain.

Reading the reviews on Amazon UK makes me laugh. People don't research what they're buying do they!! This review especially:

As for the DVD well I am lost for words it was pathetic with just a sequence of still images repeated for every track or have I missed something? I thought maybe the DVD was interactive but no it wasn't as clever as that So dont waste your money on the DVD.

I've listened to this a few times now and I think its really good. As a long time Alan Parsons Project fan I would have liked a couple more instrumentals, and yes the songs are mostly on the mellow side, but the songs are good and are growing on me with repeated listens. The surround mix is effective and appropriate. Its so nice to have new music in surround, and for £14 its a bargain.

Reading the reviews on Amazon UK makes me laugh. People don't research what they're buying do they!! This review especially:

As for the DVD well I am lost for words it was pathetic with just a sequence of still images repeated for every track or have I missed something? I thought maybe the DVD was interactive but no it wasn't as clever as that So dont waste your money on the DVD.
OMG!

I really like this release.
I have played and played it...when my outdoor pursuits permit!!

Not played much music lately due to losing the plot..( which I will if I don't get me veggie plants in :))
April and May are the key months to get 95% of the allotment sorted for this years produce.

Anyway, I find Alan's latest little ditty extremely relaxing, It is well produced and it has a good selection of songs. The surround mix is not quite hitting the high spots of his early releases but to me it's still good.

Well done Alan for keeping the faith in surround releases.:QQlove

Thanks Marplot, that's what I've been waiting for, ordered:p

For THAT bargain basement price, Pupster.....I have NO doubt you'll LOVE IT!

See the source image

I need to spend more time wth it, but I find myself mostly agreeing with you. The lead vocal is indeed really in your face on "Miracle" and it pretty much wrecks the track (not that I was a big fan of it in the first place, lol).

I definitely like the album as a whole much better than On Air, and the mix is typical AP: mostly quad (though I think one track has a bit of spoken word or narration in the center) and very discrete. Lots of guitar, piano, brass, and backing vocals in the rears. As with Eye In The Sky, the grander tracks with orchestral accompaniment throw the listener right in the middle of the orchestra.

Some memorable moments for me so far are the front/rear split vocals on "Soiree Fantastique", the sax blasting out of the right front channel in "Requiem", and Parsons' processed backing vocals jumping from left rear to right rear in "The Limelight Fades Away".

It's competent stuff, it's cheap, and it's got a nice surround mix. I really can't see any reason not to give it a shot :)
I always like what Jonathan has to say as I think we both think alike in our views of surround albeit his ear is better than mine. His last sentence hits it on the head, we who are surround lovers would like all music in surround so when a competent artist/composer/ engineer puts out a surround disc of new material I can do nothing but say thank you, that was great.

Back