New Mingus Box Set: Changes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
Last edited:
Really useful review of the set at Stereogum by Phil Freeman. It includes a couple of paragraphs on Mingus Moves, the only album in the set--the only MIngus album, period--to get a quad release. (Fingers crossed that that one will eventually show up in the revived Quadio series!) But for people who don't know the man's music, it also serves as a good introduction about where to start.
https://www.stereogum.com/2228004/mingus-in-the-70s/columns/ugly-beauty/

Last edited:
Maybe the first item I bought all those years ago “because it was surround sound”. Glad I got it but not a big jazz fan.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I had a good listening and reading session with these beautifully recorded CD's. Mingus was quite the guy, stern composer who expected utter perfection. Tragic way to die with ALS at age 56 1979.
Even though I have a pretty good Jazz library, I never find myself good enough to listen to Jazz recordings and know whos who just by listening, maybe a little Miles Davis I can.
But unlike other genres, jazz seems to elude me, maybe due to its complexity?
I know I like it when I hear it.
I would say the average DR's between all 7 discs is DR 12, the lowest being a 10 and the highest being a 14.
Quite enjoyable.

Last edited:
Back