New Surround Master v2 - Pre-Order Roster Discussion Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Lexicon does a great job with 2 channel material as it stands
But this way (analog and the SM) just kinda "feels" more period correct for what im trying to maintain. I'll stick to the Lexicon for movies and THX but for me at least, this SM device and analog is as advanced as i want my Quad to ever get. At least..i think so..

I saw the two pics of your Lexicon MC-8. It might be that you and I are the only forum members who indulge in both Logic7 and SM Involve.

I saw the two pics of your Lexicon MC-8. It might be that you and I are the only forum members who indulge in both Logic7 and SM Involve.
Perhaps, though i have the mc12hd theae days. The mc8 was a nice rig as well.

I got into quad at the same time i got into vintage audio, as a QRX was my introduction. I then set out on a CD-4 mission, and then Q4, and the rest.
After a couple years i found...sacd. what? Multichannel? Then home theater as my home git bigger, and my spending account grew. I found tons of downloads at Dreaming Spires, and began looking for quad files already decoded that i ckuld burn to disc, and therby play on my HT setup without a decoder. They quad vinyl was put away, though never sold. I continued to collect them when in good shape. Then i had some years off due to personal stuff.
Ive always kept my quad receivers because they do far MORE than play quad material, and incorporate them into todays uses. The last few months ive been longing for the orig quad of my early discovery, though know that it may well not be as "good" as what some newer formats offer, its far more enjoyable. I like to tinker. I was looking at my Marantz 4400 a couple weeks ago and realized it diddnt do QS like the Sansui does.
In searching decoders, came here and saw the SM. Found one in AU a few weeks ago on ebay for a start bid of 40.00. I won. I felt bad for the seller and paid an extra 20, offering more.
What i had not realized, was mine was early version that did not do QS, even though the manual says it does, no switch for that on the front. Not the only discrepancy in the manual, but oh well. I then ordered the v2 unit yesterday due to what this DOES offer me with quad, but yes with the 2 channel and more importantly, the sub out. I can finally add a sub to my vinyls in a way that pleases me without a tape loop or splitters.
I run 4 systems usually.
HT, which doubles for the sacd/dvdA
Staight vinyls 2 channel with traditional Mac and Klipsch (modified)
My test system for just monkey play between new and old, to rotate unused gear and hear different combos,
And then Quad. Seems like these new units, though analog; still offer a perfect combonation of new tech, without taking away from the old school feel that got me hooked into vintage to begin with.

Oopsie. Yes i got bit pretty hard.. Cadillac problems i have
;)
Incredible 👍 ...
I like this one, like a warm shot of Bourbon 🥃

Tube Bliss.jpg

Incredible 👍 ...
I like this one, like a warm shot of Bourbon 🥃

View attachment 60173
I invented, adopted, and incorporated the user name Allhartfidelity seen watermarked on the pic there. Its become not only my web site, trade name, and user name on many platforms, but simply a representation of my passion for Fidelity.
All-Hart is also my paint company, both a play on my last name Hart. Grandpa always told me "Toughy, you're all heart"
Anyway, i became a member of QQ before i took on the name. C.hartjr is my given name.
Ive looked on the FAQ, and looked for someone to contact, and at the risk of moving off topic can you help me choose whose leg i need to ride to change my user name to allhartfidelity?
If this is an inappropriate request, i shall delete upon request.

I invented, adopted, and incorporated the user name Allhartfidelity seen watermarked on the pic there. Its become not only my web site, trade name, and user name on many platforms, but simply a representation of my passion for Fidelity.
All-Hart is also my paint company, both a play on my last name Hart. Grandpa always told me "Toughy, you're all heart"
Anyway, i became a member of QQ before i took on the name. C.hartjr is my given name.
Ive looked on the FAQ, and looked for someone to contact, and at the risk of moving off topic can you help me choose whose leg i need to ride to change my user name to allhartfidelity?
If this is an inappropriate request, i shall delete upon request.

Fear not, your name has been changed. Not a problem at all! :)

Thanks again guys, got the conformation email my order for the SMV2 has been processed.
The code at the beginning of the thread still valid, helped a lot in my decision and was a welcome savings.
Well, now this setup just wont do. I need to get rid of some furnature.
20180214_213839.jpg

Kidding...older pic. But fun.

I like my SM unit so much that I bought a 8 into 1 switch box, and a 1 into 8 box so that everything will go into the SM unit, then into the multi channel input on my receiver.
Sweet! I have a 4 way switcher, and similar. The cd player goes in, and so does my stand alone phono. Nice now having a sub out for my turntable. Been wondering how to accomplish that on my stereo rig. The Belle Klipsch needed the low end. Well, maybe they diddnt but i did.
20200626_221314.jpg

Sweet! I have a 4 way switcher, and similar. The cd player goes in, and so does my stand alone phono. Nice now having a sub out for my turntable. Been wondering how to accomplish that on my stereo rig. The Belle Klipsch needed the low end. Well, maybe they diddnt but i did.View attachment 60183

Given that you are familiar with Lexicon stuff, you might know that the processor in my RV-8 has programmable inputs. So I set it up for two 5.1 inputs. And since it has three zones, I’m able to select any two channel input on zone 2, and route the stereo output from zone 2 into the Surround Master.

The SM’s 5.1 output is connected to one of the 5.1 inputs on zone 1 of the RV8. The 5.1 outputs from an Oppo 205 go directly into the second set of 5.1 inputs on the RV8.

All of this is very convenient as I can switch everything using RV8’s remote and don’t need to employ a manual switch. The ultimate in laziness?

I like my SM unit so much that I bought a 8 into 1 switch box, and a 1 into 8 box so that everything will go into the SM unit, then into the multi channel input on my receiver.
Which model if I may ask? I'm thinking about a few units of these types but need something to look at while I think....

Back