Nick Cave: next 4 in May (Let Love In, Murder Ballads, Boatman's Call, No More Shall)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife just rolled her eyes when she saw me walk through the door with another box of Nick Cave reissues. :cool:

May I ask if Let Love In & Murder Ballads are in a similar style to No More Shall We Part and Boatman's Call?

Not really, they are more up-tempo affairs, a bit raunchy (especially Murder Ballads - listen to Stagger Lee). There's a few quiet bits but they're not as introspective as Boatman and Shall we Part.

Murder Ballads also contains an interesting duet with Kylie Minogue, Where The Wild Roses Grow.

I'm not too familiar with Boatman and No More Shall We Part, although I did pick them up. I hope to check them out on the weekend. Although Nick Cave does not sink in with the first (or even second) listen.

Pretty fair reviews and I'd can't disagree much with the assessments. Would be nice if one of the reviewers actually listened to a 5.1 mix though.

My copies arrived yesterday but I'm a little busy the next couple days and leaving for a week's holiday (including a Blackfield show, assuming it does not end up being cancelled, fingers crossed) so it looks like they won't get a spin until I get back.

Now that I have studied them extensively I can see that there definitely was a career turning-point with the release of Boatman's Call. That's such a stripped back and sentimental album. It's Nick Cave's Sea Change! No More Shall We Part is also gentle and haunting. I can see Warren Ellis becoming a bigger part of the band as well. Some great violin playing.

Next spring should see the release of the final wave of remasters: Nocturama, Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheaus and Dig, Lazarus, Dig!

May I ask if Let Love In & Murder Ballads are in a similar style to No More Shall We Part and Boatman's Call?

Back