Of the 5 YES Extended releases by Steven Wilson please list them in Fav to Least Fav

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicmemorabiliashoppellc

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
And explain why? Main album only pleasešŸ˜
Iā€™ll actually go first.

Considering I only gave 3 here goes

Fave by a long shot

The Yes Albumā€¦.for surround mix, songs etc & fidelity!!

Close To The Edgeā€¦..surround mix and very very sublime and very calming and relaxing, as well as fidelity.

Fragileā€¦..the Extra Content puts it above all else, but we are talking about original album remixes here only, so just for the songs being so overplayed on the FM radio over the years, I dock it because Iā€™m tired of hearing it, being right or wrong.

WHOā€™S NEXT?! (YES, PUN INTENDED), canā€™t wait for the SDE of that release, multi-channel or notšŸ˜‚

Last edited:
And explain why? Main album only pleasešŸ˜
Iā€™ll actually go first.

Considering I only gave 3 here goes

Fave by a long shot

The Yes Albumā€¦.for content, songs etc & fidelity!!

Close To The Edgeā€¦..content and very very sublime and very calming and relaxing, as well as fidelity.

Fragileā€¦..the Extra Content puts it above all else, but we are talking about original album remixes here only, so just for the songs being so overplayed on the FM radio over the years, I dock it because Iā€™m tired of hearing it, being right or wrong.

WHOā€™S NEXT?! (YES, PUN INTENDED, canā€™t wait for the SDE of that release, multi-channel or notšŸ˜‚
What you said and in that order. Those are the only three albums I have anyway.

Wow. That is hard to do. I like them all, even Relayer. To me "The Gates Of Delirium" is the closest they ever came to "heavy" rock (even though the last few minutes "Soon" breaks that trend). If I had to put them in order it would be TYA, CTTE, Relayer, Fragile, and TFTO. The only reason that TFTO is last is because it takes a greater effort to listen to. I don't care how great it is, four 20 minute songs is still a lot to digest. As for Fragile, Roundabout and Heart of the Sunrise are two of the greatest Yes songs ever, but the individual solo songs (more like snippets of songs), kind of deflate the overall experience of listening to the album.

Steven Wilson's remixes from best to worst

The Yes Album
Fragile
(distant 3rd) Tales (I prefer listening to the Offord mix , upmixed)

the other two mixes are quite bad, though I particularly dislike what he did (and didn't do) with Relayer

For context, if I rank these albums in order of preference as music:
Relayer
Tales
CttE
TYA/Fragile

so you can see what a disappointment SW's Yes work has been to me

Last edited:
Fragile - #1 because of fond High School attachment. Roundabout and HOTS the best cuts.
Yes Album - #2 - best mix, beautifully raw energy in the performance
CTTE -#3 best overall complete package of music. Creative.
TFTO - #4 less accessible musically
Relayer - #5 need to be high to ā€œgetā€ the music, no longer do that :-(

It's hard for me to differentiate between them based on mix. So, the best way for me to judge them is on how much I've listened to them. The Yes Album was really my first entry into prog rock. Can I tell a story here?
When I was in high school I used to listen to the radio when I went to sleep. An overnight DJ in L.A. played I've seen all good people, and I was impressed, but never heard the back announce. The next night she played it again and I though, Yes, what an interesting name for a band. A few weeks later I'm walking through a drugstore and I see the back of the LP display and the last record there is The Yes Album, for $2 I believe. I buy it and fall in love with it. The problem is, I don't know how to describe it to my friends so I say, "It's really good and all of the songs are real long". Everyone looked at me weird. Three weeks later Fragile comes out and everyone is talking about Yes.
Okay, so The Yes Album is #1, CTTE has had lots of staying power over the years and slipped into #2. I've probably listened to Fragile a bit more than the other two, but I've found that Relayer isn't as enjoyable as when I first heard it and Tales is much better than when I first listened to it (even after seeing it in concert). Those last two may be because of the mixes.

Back