OK Quad guys! What's your receiver???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I now own the 9001 and here's what it does. The stereo CD, cassette or any other source will only play out of the front speakers in the discrete mode. You must put it in a matrix mode to have it play in all 4 speakers.
OK that is what I would expect with a stereo source in the discrete mode as there is no rear channel information to reproduce.

I'm looking at getting a 7001 or a 9001.

What I would to confirm is whether one can get a synthesised 4 channel effect with a stereo (non turntable) source. Looking at the online manual for the 9001 there is a QS synthesiser mode that would appear to do this. Is this correct? And if so, can the 7001 also do this?

OK that is what I would expect with a stereo source in the discrete mode as there is no rear channel information to reproduce.

What I would to confirm is whether one can get a synthesised 4 channel effect with a stereo (non turntable) source. Looking at the online manual for the 9001 there is a QS synthesiser mode that would appear to do this. Is this correct? And if so, can the 7001 also do this?
Yes, just push one of the decoder buttons, QS Surround Is best for stereo.

I think that the 7001 manual could have been made a bit clearer. Interesting that you can bypass to 2 speaker (front) stereo or push the "plus back" button to get double stereo.

Let's put it this way, when I owned a Pioneer QX-949A years ago, the stereo source, in discrete mode, produced a double stereo. If you wanted stereo only, you flipped the dial in the receiver to two channel mode.

As far as the 7001 vs 9001, I really think the 9001 popularity is overrated. $3k+ for the 9001 vs maybe $1k or less for the 7001? No brainier unless you really need at added power (which I really don't.) The matrix decoder is identical and, at least from what I read, the CD-4 demodulator is better in the 7. Less issues with that demodulator.

The synthesizer mode on both the 7001 and 9001 are truly spectacular. I did an A/B comparison with the Surround Master and it's really really close. My 9001 had the blend resistors removed when serviced at the QRX Restore and it's really pretty amazing how much stereo stuff sounds like it was mixed for quad.

I don't remember a "plus back" button on my 7001. The 9001 definitely doesn't have that.
I found it from the owner's manual! A good feature IMHO. One suggested use was for adjusting balance. Also useful for mono sources as the decoder can do nothing with them!

Attachments

• 2V4qrx_7001.pdf
    241.6 KB · Views: 0
Let's put it this way, when I owned a Pioneer QX-949A years ago, the stereo source, in discrete mode, produced a double stereo. If you wanted stereo only, you flipped the dial in the receiver to two channel mode.

As far as the 7001 vs 9001, I really think the 9001 popularity is overrated. $3k+ for the 9001 vs maybe $1k or less for the 7001? No brainier unless you really need at added power (which I really don't.) The matrix decoder is identical and, at least from what I read, the CD-4 demodulator is better in the 7. Less issues with that demodulator.

The synthesizer mode on both the 7001 and 9001 are truly spectacular. I did an A/B comparison with the Surround Master and it's really really close. My 9001 had the blend resistors removed when serviced at the QRX Restore and it's really pretty amazing how much stereo stuff sounds like it was mixed for quad.
I would spend the money on a QSD-2 or (QSD-1). Then use a separate amplifier (or amplifiers). I love separate components!

It will be a bit easier for me to find a 7001 and I know they tend to have less issues than a 9001. I thought the CD-4 demodulator in the 9001 was better but it is a moot point for me as I don't plan to get back into vinyl. I plan to use my Oppo play with it.

Just out of interest, did Denon make a Quad receiver back in the day? It seems they due not. If not I window why. They developed the UD4 system.

I have a Denon Avr-X8500H. Still searching for a Sansui QRX-9001 9001.

Just out of interest, did Denon make a Quad receiver back in the day? It seems they due not. If not I window why. They developed the UD4 system.

Good question, I remember them as being manufacturer of direct drive turntables "back in the day". Amplifiers and receivers seem to be from the nineties onward.

Perhaps they only sold in Japan back in the quad days? Was UD4 ever marketed outside of Japan? Anyone know?

I am using in my home cinema a Yamaha CX-A 5000, used together with a Tate-II (connected analog) for SQ vinyl records and an Oppo 203 player (connected digital using HDMI) for SACDs.

I my library, I am using a modified Bose 4401, internally equipped with the Involveaudio SQ and QS development boards as well as the original Bose CD-4 decoder, based on a demodulator board built by JVC itself.

Perhaps they only sold in Japan back in the quad days? Was UD4 ever marketed outside of Japan? Anyone know?
No answer, in fact I've had my finger on the pulse of multich since the beginning and had to google UD4.. Can't say I ever remembered hearing about it unless I read some obscure article
decades ago?
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/QQ-ud4.htm

No answer, in fact I've had my finger on the pulse of multich since the beginning and had to google UD4.. Can't say I ever remembered hearing about it unless I read some obscure article
decades ago?
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/QQ-ud4.htm
UD-4 was created, by Denon, to be a system that could play in a matrix format, up to discrete, depending on the sophistication of the playback system. For discrete, it used a carrier-based method, similar to CD-4, with the matrix-encoded base band carrying a similar front plus rear approach. Denon marketed a demodulator for it in Japan that also had a CD-4 mode. For simpler systems, the matrix in the base band could be decoded, with or without logic, to present a quad soundfield. Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells" was released in Japan as a UD-4 title.

I have the same WITH a Quadbob 9001 connected to the preamp inputs. Technics Sl-1900 table with the AT440mlb. Also have a Sansui qsd-1 for when I prefer the original sansui sound. I use a jvc 4dd-5 for cd-4 with grundig and marantz for backup. A dbx-II 124 for dbx discs. A harman kardon model 8+ and a jvc deck for Q8s, teac 4 track reel deck and akai and sony 2 track reel decks. Also have a 5 band 4 channel BSR eq in play.

Receiver/source /front channel amp is a Tandberg Huldra 10, rears are driven by a Tandberg TA-300 (same amp stage but no built in receiver), all connected through a Sansui QSD-2.

My receiver is a Trio KR-8340 with KCD-2 CD-4 demodulator.

1700170637994.jpeg

Back