OLED TV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clinty, MANY thanks for posting that review in Sound/Vision because after reading it, I called up my installer and bitched him out. NOT A GOOD REVIEW.
He is looking into the next SONY Model, the VW995~ES which NOT only has the superior lens, but superior contrast levels and upgraded HDR10 and of course still has 3D......but the caveat....it lists for $35K.

Now I'm more confused than ever. JVC has their NX9 for $18K

Just knock out the walls [or kick out the jams] and GO IMAX, Markie. Screw the neighbors!
Funny you say that. My move from living room to unused bedroom puts me closer to my neighbors. I saw them today and they said what are you doing, I said adding for speakers in ceiling and setting up my music room, they didn't look real happy. It will be very possible that if i really crank it will bleed into them. Lucky for them I am a day person and not a night person.

Funny you say that. My move from living room to unused bedroom puts me closer to my neighbors. I saw them today and they said what are you doing, I said adding for speakers in ceiling and setting up my music room, they didn't look real happy. It will be very possible that if i really crank it will bleed into them. Lucky for them I am a day person and not a night person.

We're going to do a Go Fund Me so that Markie P can build his dream treehouse man cave

See the source image

in Sequoia National Park so he can blast his MFing music as loud as he pleases!

Last edited:
Being a pro projector you may need to buy some very good sunglasses for your viewing. I bet this thing will be BRIGHT!

There is screen burn-in if you watch a lot news channels with static displays at the bottom.... I have the LG OLED65E6P and watch a lot of news.
I have an LG OLED65E6P. Burn in can and will happen at some point unless all you do is watch dvd/blu's on it. It won't happen quickly. My set has pretty bad burn in. I use mine not only as my TV but it's also my computer monitor for my HTPC. Currently just over 15.5k hrs and guessing it was around 10k+ hrs when I first noticed the burn in. So depending on usage, you may not see burn in until you're ready for the next upgrade.
With four generations separating the E6 from current LG OLEDs (EX would be the current equivalent), it's quite possible that advancements have made it even less of an issue.

Last edited:
Size matters, but as life experience (and Einstein) point out, context (i.e., "relativity") is everything.

There is no such thing as too large a television if your visual cortex doesn't have issues interacting with it. A few people get sort of vertigo-ey from a totally immersive experience but in my experience, most don't. There is an, um..."accommodation co-efficient" built into most folks. I've been drug from thinking the 75" Q90 was "it" (the price has fallen by about 40% since I started shopping during last year's Christmas crush) to the heartthrob here, the LG 77OLED 4K C9. ATSC 3.0 tuner capability isn't optional as this is going to be my LAST HT Television. I have a nine-year-old 65" Sony XBR 3-D (XBR-65HX950) and to be honest, I think that brightness and a very negligible amount of blooming notwithstanding, it looks about as good on 1080p as anything I've looked at in stores that's 4K. (I'm not sure that comparison would stand up to a side by side comparison though.) I keep trying to find a way to move the 65HX950 to my DEN (where a 2007 XBR 32" 1080p-at least that's what the owner's manual says it is) TV resides now. It seriously needs to migrate to my guest bedroom wall. I have that ubiquitous Sony KDL-40W600B 1080p model in my bedroom and it'll be the next to go. But I think it's headed for the garage or my workshop. But again, the question is...WHERE? I'm running out of real-estate and well, I don't want to be a downer, but television programming has never been worse. I used to be a news junkie and that would be where I could go if there wasn't anything interesting on elsewhere. No longer...there is no place I can visit that isn't trying to annoy me into committing violent acts upon my cherished Sonys. The lack of relevant (to ME) content is the really big headwind these days. YMMV, and that's all good. Good topic, I'm following closely, btw. As one of my newly discovered/liked YT content creators* likes to say when signing off: (You have to hear it in a drunken Scottish brogue) "That's all I've got for ya' today. Go away now..." ; - )

Last edited:
*No connection commercial or otherwise*. I think the channel is an alter ego persona cooked up by a UK spy novel author named Will Jordan, but I'm not certain of that. I haven't read any of his books, but I'm considering looking for one or two to see if they're any good...YMMV, again.

Since I've been doing a ton of research on TV's because my Panasonic Plasma is 15 years old and shows it. Yes, bad burn in. I won't get a OLED because of it and yes it happens more then some say. Yes lots of articles saying no burn in, just be careful, yes burn in, you HAVE to be careful. There are test that CLEARLY show burn in. II was concerned about viewing angles of a LED. Some Sony LED models have a X Wide Angle and from what I have read it's pretty dam good. That's why Sony will be on my list.

Let me mention that those "distance" requirements for viewing are absolute garbage...meaningless...I would never refrain from getting a larger tv because of room size...I remember in video discussions when the "viewing distance" was first introduced...it provided for some laughs...but that was about all...
I agree, to a point. Part of the reason for the size-distance guidelines had to do with not seeing artifacts on the screen. With a 4K set, you can sit closer, but couldn't you liken it to sitting in the front row at a movie theater?

If/when I replace the 75" Sony 940D in our media room, it will probably be with a 77" OLED (or bigger, hopefully). We watch only movies in there, so I won't have to worry about burn-in, which we experienced on the last plasma display we owned.

I agree, to a point. Part of the reason for the size-distance guidelines had to do with not seeing artifacts on the screen. With a 4K set, you can sit closer, but couldn't you liken it to sitting in the front row at a movie theater?
Well not everybody in a living room will be front and center like me so a viewing angle won't effect me but I'm not the only person watching in a room.

By trying to make this comparison you are comparing apples to watermelons...as I mentioned to Ralphie...some Imax screens are 97 feet high...that would be like many TV screens on top of each other on a fireplace..the height disparity is extreme compared to a TV in a home ....many theaters have a terrace seating arrangement and the front row is like being in a "mosh pit"...and another fallacy about these "distance charts" is the broad assumption that everybody has the same eyesight...

By trying to make this comparison you are comparing apples to watermelons...as I mentioned to Ralphie...some Imax screens are 97 feet high...that would be like many TV screens on top of each other on a fireplace..the height disparity is extreme compared to a TV in a home ....many theaters have a terrace seating arrangement and the front row is like being in a "mosh pit"...and another fallacy about these "distance charts" is the broad assumption that everybody has the same eyesight...
In olden days of VHS & Kloss VideoBeams the discussion was how far away you had to sit for it to look decent. With 1080 HD the talk was how close you need to sit to see all the extra detail....
Overall I must agree with you on size & distance. I think it's a preferance not a rule & might vary quite a bit person to person. I have an 8' screen & the sweet spot for surround puts me 10' away. It fills my field of view, not too big or small. My son in law has a 10' screen & prime seating is ~ 12' back & very enjoyable. I'd like to point out he also had an 8' DIY screen before upgrading and the switch to 10' was dramatic, more than you would expect. If there is the room for it I think a 10 footer is just awesome for a home theater.

Well I pulled the trigger and got the Sony. Yes, thanks to Clinty for this thread. This thread helped me and a few articles.
Sony - 77" Class - OLED - A9G MASTER Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR

Sony A9G OLED wins 'King of TV' at 2019 TV Shootout
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1560428570
EXPERTS AND AUDIENCE WEIGH IN ON 2020’S BEST TV (Due to Covid 19 canceled ???)
https://ceweekny.com/tv-shootout/

This page shows 13 stores selling the Sony all within pennys of each other
https://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/xbr-a9g-series/buy/xbr77a9g#

Many thanks to Clinty Eastwood for literally saving me from making a major mistake. I was able to upgrade the SONY Projector to the SONY VW995~ES Laser 3D projector which has the superior ARC~F glass lens.

Great ADVICE and a GREAT THREAD, Clinty.

See the source image

See the source image
You’ll get to see every little Spaghetti 🍝 Western hair on Eli’s chest 🤠

Back