Ollie Halsall?? Help a Snood out?? Want to know where to start his guitar oriented

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snood

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Staff member
Figured if anyone knew of where to start with this guy - it would be here at QQ

Guitarist/vibraphone player with lesser known bands Patto, Boxer and Timebox and some work with Kevin Ayers Oh and the RUTLES (so he is awesome for that)

This guy was supposed to be some kind of genius on guitar

Looking for his guitar stuff not the vibraphone stuff

Snood is looking for a good place to start..........I have heard some snippets on Amazon that sound quite interesting guitar wise :smokin

Thanks in advance :banana:

Screen shot 2015-10-17 at 6.51.49 PM.jpg Ahem, currently spinning the Sailor's Tale brother, where are you with KC, just curious. Some kind of a Snood hug bud.

View attachment 22270 Ahem, currently spinning the Sailor's Tale brother, where are you with KC, just curious. Some kind of a Snood hug bud.

got thru them alllllllllllllllllllllllll liked the latter ones the best , but it was each one along the progression Snood thought it was better then the previous :snoodhug:

Hey Snood...

I'm probably the ONLY member in this forum who actually met and WORKED with him a year before he passed away...

First, Barry Monks (Baz to his friends) has a WONDERFUL and quite exhaustive webpage :
Here is the main page.

I wrote a snippet a few years ago with my memories of recording him and mixing some stuff that never made it out...it's at the bottom of this page : "Coño, es Ollie Halsall, joder!!!"

Ollie was a genius..he played basically anything he could...but , I recently interviewed "Admiral" John Halsey , the drummer for Timebox, Patto , The Rutles (he actually APPEARS in the movie) and a BUNCH of other people (Lou Reed's "Transformer", for example), who, BTW is STILL active and is a WONDERFUL person ; he told me he arrived to the conclusion after talking to a friend of his who's a psychiatrist, and after all these years, that Ollie was autistic...a BRILLIANT Musician who eschewed ANY kind of fame....his behavior and his talent were the key...and he was also left handed..

ANYWAY

I have never been a fan of the John Ottway or Kevin Ayers stuff, but the Patto stuff was OUT OF THIS WORLD ; he was doing stuff that would have impressed even Hendrix!!!!

Good starting Point: Patto's "Hold your fire"...

HOLD ON AND STRAP YOUR SEAT BELT, you will be blown away...

Last edited:
Hey Snood...

I'm probably the ONLY member in this forum who actually met and WORKED with him a year before he passed away...

First, Barry Monks (Baz to his friends) has a WONDERFUL and quite exhaustive webpage :
Here is the main page.

I wrote a snippet a few years ago with my memories of recording him and mixing some stuff that never made it out...it's at the bottom of this page : "Coño, es Ollie Halsall, joder!!!"

Ollie was a genius..he played basically anything he could...but , I recently interviewed "Admiral" John Halsey , the drummer for Timebox, Patto , The Rutles (he actually APPEARS in the movie) and a BUNCH of other people (Lou Reed's "Transformer", for example), who, BTW is STILL active and is WONDERFUL person ; he told me he arrived to the conclusion after talking to a friend of his who's a psychiatrist, and after all these years, that Ollie was autistic...a BRILLIANT Musician who eschewed ANY kind of fame....his behavior and his talent were the key...and he was also left handed..

ANYWAY

I have never been a fan of the John Ottway or Kevin Ayers stuff, but the Patto stuff was OUT OF THIS WORLD ; he was doing stuff that would have impressed even Hendrix!!!!

Good starting Point: Patto's "Hold your fire"...

HOLD ON AND STRAP YOUR SEAT BELT, you will be blown away...

I have ''Hold Your Fire''(3 bonus trax) packaged with ''Patto''(1 bonus track) in 2CD set entitled ''Sense of the Absurd'' ''Roll 'Em and Smoke 'Em Put Another Line Out'' is another good one.

Ollie never played as brilliant after 1975"ish"...I think he had a meltdown ...or he started , ehem, using H, if you catch my drift...
....cause he NEVER played like that again...
he said that he did it consciously, but, somehow, I don't believe it...SOMETHING happened to him...

One more thing you can check out is when he joined Tempest and after only a COUPLE OF DAYS of rehearsing, they played a BRILLIANT set at the BBC (with none other than Alan Holdsworth on the other gtr) which is available on the Tempest "Under the Blossom The Anthology 2005"...and their music was NOT EASY AT ALL...

Alan left a few weeks after that
'nuff said...

Loud Green Song from the third Patto.
Didn't Feel Lonely, Kevin Ayers, guitar duel with Ollie and Andy Summers.

Sorry guys been busy taking care of Momma Snood - but thank you for all the insights and Snood is off to purchase some of these :banana:

Really looking forward to them.

Kapn, Snood will def take a read of your link thank you

The way Snood came across Ollie, was Snood was watching a You Tube Video of Andy Partridge (which is rather good and funny)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6FUKcCP7dA (this is the one he mentions Ollie about the 3:27 mark) thing is me could not understand who he was talking about until someone on google plus replied to my inquiry a few days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZX6RxBVsIM

But thank you everybody for the insights and leads. :snoodhug:

Back