Oneohtrix Point Never - Again (new Atmos mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PurpleMoustache

800 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Like his last album, Magic Oneohtrix Point Never, it seems like Daniel Lopatin (best known work: the score for Uncut Gems and Good Time) has remixed his latest OPN album (his main project) to Atmos a year or so after release. Just got this email from Bandcamp for the BLU RAY(!!!) version:
https://oneohtrixpointnever.bandcamp.com/merch/again-blu-ray-standard-edition
Here’s a link to the (still stereo at the moment) album on Apple Music. Note; experimental electronic:

Like his last album, Magic Oneohtrix Point Never, it seems like Daniel Lopatin (best known work: the score for Uncut Gems and Good Time) has remixed his latest OPN album (his main project) to Atmos a year or so after release. Just got this email from Bandcamp for the BLU RAY(!!!) version:
https://oneohtrixpointnever.bandcamp.com/merch/again-blu-ray-standard-edition
Here’s a link to the (still stereo at the moment) album on Apple Music. Note; experimental electronic:
There is also a two special editions blu-ray limited to 150 copies each on pre-order here:
https://warp.net/products/439890-again-special-edition-blu-ray/201482120-blu-rayFancy packaging with a pulsing LED light a la Pink Floyd PULSE for $94.99 😲

Need more info on this one, his last album got panned on here with the streaming version allegedly being a better mix. But color me interested regardless.
Yeah when this got announced I ordered the disc for the last one and something is definitely… up… with that one. It’s also worth noting that for the first month, the streaming version was also broken, most tracks were mostly silent with just a single stem maybe like… 3 min into a track… then silence again. Those broken uploads were eventually replaced. I think that maybe that album is just cursed to have a wonky Atmos mix. The disc *is* worth having if you’re an OPN fan as it contains 2 hours and 7 min of music videos, basically every video he had done up to that point while signed to WARP.

SINCE that Atmos mix, he’s gone on to produce The Weeknd’s Dawn FM, and Weyes Blood’s And In The Darkness Hearts Aglow, two albums with fantastic streaming Atmos mixes (those links go to their respective Apple Music pages). While he might not have had much to do with the mixing itself, it gives me hope that this one will be decent as well.

And I’ve also ordered the standard edition via Bandcamp so I’ll be the Guinea Pig…

Received mine today.
I listened to the version on Apple 🍎 first, yesterday.

First impressions are that it's an excellent 5.1 surround mix with subtle use of the heights, in fact sometimes it's a full on use of the heights.

I like experimental music and this has it in bucket loads, as I knew it would.

If you've liked what you've heard on Apple then I recommend you buy this trippers delight 😊

It's the sort of electronic music that always keeps you second guessing what you are going to hear next.

So much so that I will never get bored in Listening to it, Again and Again 😀

Last edited:
IMG_1055.jpg
Standard edition of this just arrived. For fans of minimal packaging: you’re in luck. Digibook packaging with just a place for the disc… and that’s it. Lyrics for the 3 songs with lyrics printed on inner cover, mixing credits and tracks printed on hype sticker (which I carefully peeled off and re-applied)

Sampled a few tracks from the streaming version a few days ago to compare when this arrived, and yes! This time they didn’t goof up the mix on the disc!

I listened to it at the weekend. There's quite a lot going on in the mix, gonna take a few listens before it sinks in
I find this to be the case with a lot of Daniel Lopatin’s work. I wonder if he’ll ever go back and give the atmos treatment to some of the older albums (I’d love one for Returnal, his hazy ambient album that opens with one of the harshest noise tracks ever created)

I listened to it at the weekend. There's quite a lot going on in the mix, gonna take a few listens before it sinks in
So, to be clear, you're referring to the Atmos mix? It's making good use of the surround environment?🥹

Last edited:
Back