Opeth "Deliverance" and "Damnation" Remixed

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6133zOj9rAL._SL1500_.jpg

The cover image in full. Simple, but yet still effective! :)

I'm very excited for this - and it's an instant purchase from me - but, with their recent foray into blu-ray with "Pale Communion", I reeeeally had my fingers crossed for a high-res blu for the eventual Damnation release. Oh well, either way, I'm sure this will be an excellent release, and I'm just happy we're finally getting it! And, beautiful packaging!

Pale Communion was the first Opeth album recorded in 24/96.

Pale Communion was the first Opeth album recorded in 24/96.

Technically, this is correct. However, this doesn't mean the Blu-ray format couldn't have been utilized. Based on the Heritage documentary, all previous albums were tracked on analogue tape. Steven likely used those same tracking tapes in 2009 when he made his 5.1 mix of Damnation and that mix was likely 24/48 since that was the resolution he was mixing in at the time. Hopefully the 5.1 mix on the DVD-Vs will be in DTS, but it would have been nice to have the 24 bit mixes on this upcoming release as well. And really, since all the pre-Heritage albums were tracked in analogue, any of them could potentially be remixed at 24 bit resolution based on the digital transfer. I will be curious to find out what resolution Bruce Soord used while making the new Deliverance mixes. He may very well have used 24/96 considering it is 2015.

Sent from my LG G4.

Do we know if these will be lossless?
I am sure the DVDs will be DVD-V, not DVD-A. Opeth has never released a DVD-A and I can't imagine why they would do so now in a practical sense. Therefore the 5.1 mixes will be lossy. As I said above, hopefully they will include a higher bitrate DTS option even if the lower quality Dolby AC3 is used.

Sent from my LG G4.

Hmmm, seems a waste to issue on DVD-V only, especially now in 2015 with hi-res audio gaining traction all the more as time passes.

Still, I wouldn't turn down a full bitrate DTS mix but it would be nice to get a DVD-A/V hybrid to please everybody.

I've been play testing Deliverance for Bruce and I think you're going to like what he's done with it. For those that don't know; they are like night and day with Deliverance being mostly full on death metal, complete with "death growl" vocals, distorted guitar and kick rolls a-plenty whilst Damnation showcases the lighter, more melodic side of Opeth. In Deliverance Bruce has had the heavier and, arguably, the hardest of the two albums to remix and he's done a great job. It's fully discrete with lots happening in the rears and some very tasteful use of surround to accentuate what's going on in the instrumentation and vocals. I have the old stereo mix of the album and far prefer this new 5.1 mix now. It's obviously going to be "interesting" for him to be going out side-by-side with Steven Wilson and, given the difference in material, it's unfair to compare the two, but if what I have heard is anything to go by he should be able to hold his own. I'm really looking forward to the proper release!

additional info from sw remixes page
'Deliverance & Damnation', a double album almost 15 years in the making. Originally released separately in 2002 and 2003 respectively, these sessions were written and recorded together and it’s time for Music for Nations to present the album as a complete piece.

MFN will be releasing the double album in two beautifully reissued formats that includes new stereo and 5.1 mixes, with artwork redesigned by original designer Travis Smith. Liner notes by Mikael Åkerfeldt and Jerry Ewing of Prog in a lavish four disc bookset. As well as triple vinyl on classic 180 gram black vinyl.

Released on October 30th to coincide with Opeth’s 25 year anniversary, this is the perfect time for Music For Nations to re-issue one of the band’s most essential releases, allowing fans new and old to experience 'Deliverance & Damnation' the way it should have always been.

- Four disc Bookset

http://www.omerch.eu/shop/musicfornations/proddetail.php…

Disc 1 Deliverance – new stereo mix by Bruce Soord
Disc 2 Deliverance – 5.1 mix by Bruce Soord
Disc 3 Damnation – new stereo mix by Steven Wilson
Disc 4 Damnation – 5.1 mix by Steven Wilson

32 page booklet with liner notes by Mikael Akerfeldt and Jerry Ewing, new photos and redesigned artwork by original artist Travis Smith

- Triple LP

http://www.omerch.eu/shop/musicfornations/proddetail.php…

Disc 1 Deliverance – new stereo mix by Bruce Soord
Disc 3 Damnation – new stereo mix by Steven Wilson

Mastered by Jaime Gomez and released on 180gram Black vinyl. Redesigned artwork by original artist Travis Smith.

Nothing new there. We need more detailed info in regards to encoding formats and mastering details (will these be good dynamically, like most other SW mixes, etc?).

Opeth's own comments on the release:

Mikael comments. ”Myself and Martin Mendez are very excited to see the re-release(s) of ”Deliverance” and ”Damnation” coming out. The 5.1 surround mix for ”Damnation” was done a while ago by my buddy and co-producer for both albums, Steven Wilson, and I’ve been itching to have it released as it’s simply stunning! My new-ish friend, Bruce Soord, has done a fantastic remix for ”Deliverance”, literally giving new life to the record and making me start loving it. Finally! It was with pure excitement I went through the tracks, discovering them again. I’m especially impressed with the sound of Martin Lopez drums but also baffled by how wicked and strange this album is. I’m scratching my head wondering how the hell we came up with these songs. On top of everything, our old-time head of ART, Travis Smith, has touched up on the artwork having it looking great (bleak) too! Enjoy!”.

It's too bad these two albums are being sold as one unit. Maybe that's what they were originally intended to be, but as a relatively new fan of Opeth (I started with Heritage), I don't really care for death metal. I might ask my son if he would be interested in the Deliverance album as a gift.

It's too bad these two albums are being sold as one unit. Maybe that's what they were originally intended to be, but as a relatively new fan of Opeth (I started with Heritage), I don't really care for death metal. I might ask my son if he would be interested in the Deliverance album as a gift.

To me that's what makes them stand out from the crowd - the contrast between light and dark and that's exactly what this re-issue is about. Their melodic stuff is incredibly delicate and beautiful but it works best when juxtaposed against the distorted power riffs and death growl (though it took me ages and ages to "get it".) Please - don't write it off without listening. Buy the package and give them both a fair crack of the whip and you may just be surprised. :)

I felt the same way... I started with Pale Communion, which I love (progressive, no growls), and thought I'd never try their heavier stuff... But then I kept reading great reviews about Blackwater Park, so I bought it. Now I'm hooked. Sure there are growls, but they're inserted pretty sparingly, and the music, solos, melodies, are so incredible, the positives far outweigh the negatives. Honestly, there are a few long, low growls on Blackwater Park that just bring a smile to my face! At least give that album a chance... Plus the surround mix is great!

Same. I actually got in to Opeth mid-career, just before the major progressive turn (though there have been progressive elements on every album).
Still, I enjoyed their mellower moments better than the aggressive, growly ones. Over time, I got used to the growly stuff and now don't mind it a bit. I have to be in the mood, but it's good fun when I am.
I'm looking forward, tremendously, to this release. If SW is my new Rush/Yes/Genesis-type, Opeth are my new Metallica/Megadeth-type.
I have no issue if they choose to stay mellow and progressive or if they wish to go heavier again. Either way, bring it on. :smokin :banana:

I felt the same way... I started with Pale Communion, which I love (progressive, no growls), and thought I'd never try their heavier stuff... But then I kept reading great reviews about Blackwater Park, so I bought it. Now I'm hooked. Sure there are growls, but they're inserted pretty sparingly, and the music, solos, melodies, are so incredible, the positives far outweigh the negatives. Honestly, there are a few long, low growls on Blackwater Park that just bring a smile to my face! At least give that album a chance... Plus the surround mix is great!

If you liked the 5.1 of Blackwater Park I'm pretty sure you'll love what Bruce has done with Deliverance. :)

Well, I have stretched my musical boundaries a bit since getting into multi-channel music (Storm Corrosion, anyone?), and I'll probably get this release just because of Damnation and SW. Who knows, maybe Deliverance will growl--I mean grow--on me.

Well, I have stretched my musical boundaries a bit since getting into multi-channel music (Storm Corrosion, anyone?), and I'll probably get this release just because of Damnation and SW. Who knows, maybe Deliverance will growl--I mean grow--on me.

That's the spirit. And I bet it will grow on you. Meanwhile, I'll be learning to like The Carpenters. :D

Back