Oppo BDP Player Question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.eman

Uneducated newbie question. Looking at a friend's Oppo BDP-83 player, it shows it capable of playing Dvd-A 5.1, Sacd 5.1 and Dts Cd 5.1 surround formats. My question is, does this player have all of these decoders built in or does it only play back and output must be directed to another deck / device that has decoder for a particular 5.1 format? Thanks.

I have that model and it plays all 3 formats. It is played with internal electronics. Nothing external needed. You can set it to play automatically for 2.0 or 5.1 or choose manually from remote.

Thanks for the response. F/U question. To record that 5.1 signal from the Oppo to a Quad Reel to Reel, is the signal amplified already or would it need to go through another amp of some type?

Thanks for the response. F/U question. To record that 5.1 signal from the Oppo to a Quad Reel to Reel, is the signal amplified already or would it need to go through another amp of some type?
The signal from the analog outs will record to a Reel to Reel tape deck with no problem. But unless you have something unique, there is no commercially available, consumer oriented, 6 channel RTR deck.

You could however set the OPPO to output in 4 channel (no center or sub), and record on a vintage quad RTR.

Last edited:
I also have the Oppo BDP-83. When using the analog outputs, there are Volume Up and Down buttons on the remote that control the analog output level. You can also adjust the output levels for each channel in the Audio setup menu.

Thanks for all the help. At least I now have a starting point. I hadn't thought about Dvd-A or Sacd discs as I don't own any. Years ago when I bought the Oppo, I used it only for Blu-Ray movies. When I moved, I packed it up into it's original packaging and that's where it still is all these years later. It was only when I started thinking about playing Dts Cd's that I thought about it. A dozen or so years ago, a good friend of mine had an extensive collection of quad reels and quad 8-tracks that he planned to sell to a collector in the SF Bay area. About that time is when Creative came out with the Home Theater Connect DTS-610. Discovering that it could be used to convert quad tapes to Dts 4.0 cd's, I bought one on sale for about $90 and proceeded to covert a large number of his tapes for him. He sold his collection but he still has the cd's I made and now after all this time I decided I would like some of them to add to my Reel collection. Yes I know I could make copies of the cd's, I've done it before, but I actually want the music on tape which is why I came and started this thread to find out if it was possible to go in reverse from what I did so many years ago. Cheers. Foot note: Thanks to this info, I can now actually purchase the Pink Floyd DSOTM Immersion box and get the Dts 4.0 cd Alan Parson's mix. That's one that I always wanted but could never afford.

I'm going to resurrect this string because I need help, too.
I just bought an Oppo BDP-83 off eBay. ($200 and in beautiful shape. Barely looks used with original box, connectors and paperwork!) Also being a total newbie like mr.eman, have 2 questions.
  1. First, the big one. I'm not getting any audio plugging the HDMI cable from the Oppo into my TV. No audio comes out of the TV. Is there a setting that's messed up? My TiVo and Chromecast plugged into the TV are working just fine. The analog audio out of the Oppo also works fine. I have it plugged into a vintage receiver. So it's not the TV and the Oppo obviously has audio out.
  2. Also, where would I find the settings when using the Oppo for an audio disc to change the output from 5.1 to 4.0? I can't seem to find it in the menu setup.
Thanks in advance!

I'm going to resurrect this string because I need help, too.
I just bought an Oppo BDP-83 off eBay. ($200 and in beautiful shape. Barely looks used with original box, connectors and paperwork!) Also being a total newbie like mr.eman, have 2 questions.
  1. First, the big one. I'm not getting any audio plugging the HDMI cable from the Oppo into my TV. No audio comes out of the TV. Is there a setting that's messed up? My TiVo and Chromecast plugged into the TV are working just fine. The analog audio out of the Oppo also works fine. I have it plugged into a vintage receiver. So it's not the TV and the Oppo obviously has audio out.
  2. Also, where would I find the settings when using the Oppo for an audio disc to change the output from 5.1 to 4.0? I can't seem to find it in the menu setup.
Thanks in advance!
#1 - check the The “Audio Format Setup” section of the Setup Menu - HDMI Audio - not set to "Off"

It's on "Auto" but there are other choices: LPCM and Bitstream
On LPCM the Oppo will surround decode the audio & send it output to HDMI, recommended for hooking straight to a TV. The bitstream sets the audio un-decoded to HDMI best for connecting to an AV receiver that will do the processing.

There is no special button to switch between 5.1 or 4.0. That is determined by what you select in the speaker set up menu.

Did you get a manual with this as it answers these questions more completely than I can.

Edit: Also this
https://www.oppodigital.com/support/blu-ray-bdp-83/blu-ray-BDP-83-Support.aspx

Back