Oppo replacement recommendations?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you play UHDs I would suggest testing that new player before storing it. UHD is very finicky and all manufacturers have higher reports of problematic playback (freezing on UHD) than previous disc players- your chances of getting a "lemon" are much higher.The prevailing opinion is that Sonys are more prone to these problems than most, though that opinion is entirely based on anecdotal evidence. But it'd be worth testing some UHDs, especially triple layer ones.

That being said, my M2 has been relatively problem-free.
Decided to follow yours and my own advice, and tested the new player. It works fine and is back on the shelf. Wanted to credit your good idea with the reward of actually taking the advice offered. :cool:

FYI, I burned a DVD -R and a DVD +R with a DVD-A ISO image.
Neither my Sony X800M2 or older Sammy could recognize it.
Just sayin,

A helluva lot of acronyms and unknown (to me) terms used in any thread Ive read so far
For all of those is there some kind of glossary somewhere in here?
I usually google "THE-ACRONYM wiki" and one of the early results is usually correct. You may stumble on something akin to a glossary while looking one up.

I've had the opportunity to have my Oppo 83 Se repaired a number of times at the Oppo repair facility that is available and have found it to have been a very worthwhile choice.
When my Oppo 83 started to give up they didn't even respond to my emails (I'm in the UK - not sure if that makes a difference...). I bought a replacement laser assembly and swapped it out, which for now has done the trick. Watching this thread with interest as a straight exchange to another universal player with analog outputs etc seems to be an increasingly narrow and expensive proposition!

When my Oppo 83 started to give up they didn't even respond to my emails (I'm in the UK - not sure if that makes a difference...). I bought a replacement laser assembly and swapped it out, which for now has done the trick. Watching this thread with interest as a straight exchange to another universal player with analog outputs etc seems to be an increasingly narrow and expensive proposition!
Panasonic has an option available at $1099 USD.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_133UB9000P/Panasonic-DP-UB9000P1K.html
Not sure if it plays ISO files though.

what instructions did they give you?
sorry just now saw your post. here you go:

Instead of using a lens cleaning disc, have you tried cleaning the laser to see if it'll help? Here are the instructions on how to do so:

Remove the screws on the side (two on each side) and back of the player (5 screws). Remove the top cover of the player by lifting up and pulling the cover away from the player.

When you remove the top cover you will see the loader. The loader has four to six small screws (2 or 3 on each side) which need to be removed. Once removed you can now safely remove the top of the loader and gain access to the servo.

Now clean the laser head surface with a cotton swab and alcohol. Also clean the rubber spindle on the servo to make sure there is no hair or lint which can make the discs load off center.

Reverse the steps to put the player back together.
Now play a disc and see if the same errors persist.

I'm looking at this for my new system: UDP800 | Magnetar Audio U.S.
Menus look very similar to my Oppo 203. To what extent is this a clone?

I'd miss the HDMI input, I currently have my Apple TV 4K connected to it to downscale 4K to 1080p for my TV. The 1080p streams from the Apple TV 4K look and sound poor as they are overly compressed (too low bit rate), playing the 4K streams and downscaling them gives much better results. I could buy a 4K TV but I can't fit bigger than 32" into my room and given the distance I sit from the TV I doubt I'd see an improvement with 4K anyway. I can see the difference between 720p and 1080p but only just.

I'm looking at this for my new system: UDP800 | Magnetar Audio U.S.
Wasn't this mentioned earlier in the thread? It's $1500, that's a lot for what it does. The X800M2 gets you most of the way there for 1/6 the price.

If someone has $1500 to spend on just the player and absolutely needed one of the features not found on any other player on the market, then sure buy it. I'm fairly certain there's a player out there that does this all for less, or a combination of new/used players like most of us use, for a fraction of the price and more 'flexibility' (especially with burned media). It also looks chonky, it would take up as much space in my cabinet as my Sony and old Oppo combined.

I'm in a similar boat. My Oppo 83 plays fine but has loader problems so the drawer will get stuck or confused. And I'd like a UHD player anyway. I was looking for a (non-Oppo) UHD player that does DVD-A and SACD and couldn't find one.

I'm in a similar boat. My Oppo 83 plays fine but has loader problems so the drawer will get stuck or confused. And I'd like a UHD player anyway. I was looking for a (non-Oppo) UHD player that does DVD-A and SACD and couldn't find one.
The Sony X800M2 plays sacd, dvda, uhd blurays, etc. It doesn't play all formats on all the blank disc types available, but will play many types of burned media as well. This thread is basically a discussion on that, in case you haven't read starting from page 1.

Leave a disc in it at all times. This tip came from Oppo support

I tend to be in the boat of purchasing separates when the cost of this stuff starts to get up there. As mentioned, the SONY 800 can still be had new for around $300. That would solve the SACD and DVD-A issue. Can grab a newer, higher end UHD player, and still be under thew Magnetar price point. All you really want is the UHD to be able top do Dolby Vision and HDR10+. The Panny Streaming UHD player can be had for $425 right now. The combo would be around $725.

Wasn't this mentioned earlier in the thread? It's $1500, that's a lot for what it does. The X800M2 gets you most of the way there for 1/6 the price.

If someone has $1500 to spend on just the player and absolutely needed one of the features not found on any other player on the market, then sure buy it. I'm fairly certain there's a player out there that does this all for less, or a combination of new/used players like most of us use, for a fraction of the price and more 'flexibility' (especially with burned media). It also looks chonky, it would take up as much space in my cabinet as my Sony and old Oppo combined.
I have an X800M2. I figured I'd mention the Magnetar after reading a good review of it, and face it, there's not a lot of universal players out there. Didn't really do a deep dive into the specs, but it looked similar in price to the Oppo. I'm happy with my Sony, but face it, to sell a universal player for that price there has to be some compromises made somewhere. How'd they do it compared to an Oppo? They both do the same thing, right? Has to be the quality like any higher-end product. I would have gladly paid the price to get an Oppo, but I wasn't one of the lucky ones.

Back