Oppo replacement recommendations?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran an all analog setup for years. Seriously much happier with HDMI, in spite of how it gets handled sometimes. Since I went all HDMI I like the flexibility. i.e. I can use an HDMI switch, input several pc's and switch between them effortlessly. Not too many years ago I was using several 5.1 analog switches. HDMI has done away with that for me.
Like I always say, what ever works for folks is what's good, and I would not tell someone to change a thing on my opinion.
Analog EQ is the biggy (for me) regardless of what connection one uses. Just didn’t warm to digital number crunching (laugh).

HDMI is great if all of the equipment uses it and it works, right.

I’m so happy with vintage analog sound, I am considering stacking three vintage receivers up for the 5.1 with the Yamaha doing the decoding as the pre-amp.

Speaking of HDMI, I do have the connection running as well. The PC w/ JRiver is strictly HDMI going to the Yamaha.

So I am using both analog and HDMI connections.

If you play UHDs I would suggest testing that new player before storing it. UHD is very finicky and all manufacturers have higher reports of problematic playback (freezing on UHD) than previous disc players- your chances of getting a "lemon" are much higher.The prevailing opinion is that Sonys are more prone to these problems than most, though that opinion is entirely based on anecdotal evidence. But it'd be worth testing some UHDs, especially triple layer ones.

That being said, my M2 has been relatively problem-free.
I have a total of (1) UHD blurays (Planet Earth). The X800M2 is entirely for dvda, sacd, and bluray/bluray audio playback. But thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking, along similar lines, that if it was a dud/lemon and I waited 10 years to find out, I'd be a bit out of warranty. lol But I'm fine with rolling the dice, the fail rates on modern electronics are exceptionally low.

If you play UHDs I would suggest testing that new player before storing it. UHD is very finicky and all manufacturers have higher reports of problematic playback (freezing on UHD) than previous disc players- your chances of getting a "lemon" are much higher.The prevailing opinion is that Sonys are more prone to these problems than most, though that opinion is entirely based on anecdotal evidence. But it'd be worth testing some UHDs, especially triple layer ones.

That being said, my M2 has been relatively problem-free.
That layer transition is a bitch.

Analog EQ is the biggy (for me) regardless of what connection one uses. Just didn’t warm to digital number crunching (laugh).

HDMI is great if all of the equipment uses it and it works, right.

I’m so happy with vintage analog sound, I am considering stacking three vintage receivers up for the 5.1 with the Yamaha doing the decoding as the pre-amp.

Speaking of HDMI, I do have the connection running as well. The PC w/ JRiver is strictly HDMI going to the Yamaha.

So I am using both analog and HDMI connections.
Wondermous! Whatever works, my friend.

Once there was a time I'd rob my mama
For a good meal and a smoke
Once there was a time I'd sell my brother
For a dollar when I was broke

But I would never, never give up my HDMI
For that would surely be a joke.

J/K, /s and all that. whatever people like is good!

J/K, /s and all that. whatever people like is good!
Really? I always thought sound bars were pretty weak for surround.

But it’s a lovely thought to be so positive and all.

Last edited:
Really? I always thought sound bars were pretty weak fir surround.

But it’s a lovely thought to be so positive and all.
I'm devoid of understanding what the issue is. If you want to berate people you perceive as having less than you, then go for it.
Yes, I try to be positive. But some try my patience a tad bit.

I'm devoid of understanding what the issue is. If you want to berate people you perceive as having less than you, then go for it.
Yes, I try to be positive. But some try my patience a tad bit.
No it's not the people, it is the damn sound bars just to be be clear.

It's sad that analog inputs are on their deathbed. In my system now I use two processors, an Emotiva MC-1 for Atmos and Apple music, and an Emotiva UMC-200 for 5.1 and stereo. I use a mechanical switch just before the power amps to determine what signal feeds them. I run my Oppos HDMI output to the MC-1 and the Oppo analog outputs to the UMC-200. If I didn't have the analog side, I would be forced to digitize all 2 channel analog sources (turntable, Oppo DACs, tuner), and I wouldn't be able to play SACD natively. Also, the max sampling rate of the system would be capped at 48kHz.

It's sad that analog inputs are on their deathbed. In my system now I use two processors, an Emotiva MC-1 for Atmos and Apple music, and an Emotiva UMC-200 for 5.1 and stereo. I use a mechanical switch just before the power amps to determine what signal feeds them. I run my Oppos HDMI output to the MC-1 and the Oppo analog outputs to the UMC-200. If I didn't have the analog side, I would be forced to digitize all 2 channel analog sources (turntable, Oppo DACs, tuner), and I wouldn't be able to play SACD natively. Also, the max sampling rate of the system would be capped at 48kHz.
I expect those AVRs with analog ins will be around forever. The ones with HDMI and analog might be more scarce but I think still around for a while. We just need to get to know the models we prefer and stick with them if possible.

The issue for me is that the discs and files obviously are coming from a digital file, and that they need to be decoded to analog at some point. I would like that point to be as earliest as possible, then I'll deal with any needed EQ in the analog stage exclusively. My vinyl playback I'd prefer to go through an older receiver with normal manual tone controls with knobs and not a digital + or - button on AVR face or remote.

I've had the opportunity to have my Oppo 83 Se repaired a number of times at the Oppo repair facility that is available and have found it to have been a very worthwhile choice.

I expect those AVRs with analog ins will be around forever. The ones with HDMI and analog might be more scarce but I think still around for a while. We just need to get to know the models we prefer and stick with them if possible.
It aggravates me that those analog 7.1 inputs, such as on my Marantz, only respond to volume controls. Can’t use the tone controls, etc. Frustration…

It aggravates me that those analog 7.1 inputs, such as on my Marantz, only respond to volume controls. Can’t use the tone controls, etc. Frustration…
Oh I'd be fine with that, I mean I am fine with that because I suspect it's digital. My beef with the analog ins/outs on my Yamaha do respond to the volume control. I want the level to come out of the pre fixed at line level and I'll deal with the levels on the receiver that those outs are going to (Sansui).

It's like this, I want the front and back levels to be independently adjusted (or course). So the HDMI or analog outs on the Oppo go to the Yamaha's input. That is where the rear and center chans are adjusted and listening to, meanwhile the front L&R pre outs heads over the the Sansui's aux in. And this is where I adjust levels and tone. The Sansui is handing my PC server as well as vinyl. Why is the pre outs on the Yamaha changing levels as I turn the volume knob? I thought it would be like record outs, it's just a pre-amp, and so main or amp would (should) be for level adjustments.

Anyway, I'm 90% where I want to be. The Sansui made a big improvement and gave me quicker flexibility for setting levels, and the tone controls are analog and I can hear the difference.

My setup is mixed analog and HDMI, simply because my Oppo has excellent D/A converters and I have a bunch of ancient AV gear that I integrate into my system. The Marantz pre-pro has only one set of MCH analog audio inputs, which is, as I’ve repeatedly noted, limiting its ability to serve as a central switch, but there are work-arounds.

My cable box and my Roku streamer only have HDMI outputs, and, frankly, I don’t know of any digital video that isn’t HDMI unless it’s an antenna.

My main AVR powers the fronts, center, top speakers. I pre out my side and back surrounds to another AVR. So I could use two sets of volume controls to fine tune or just the one on the main AVR. Yes my second AVR (old Sherwood) is all analog. Going to miss it if it dies on me.

Back