Oppo replacement recommendations?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is a DVD AUDIO *4? Never heard of the format? I’m serious, they had the chance to state DVD-A and code not to?

Ok then, does it decide a DTS CD like those nice old releases….. and conversions on CD-R? Need to be able to play Gaucho and Tres Hombres of course?
Only guessing, but that's probably a notation mark, not a disc type.

If it plays DVD-Rs I would think yes, especially if it plays DVD-As as noted in specs.

Not trying to be vague. Are there players show do not play a burned DVD?
I’ve made a handful of DVDs for others (parties, etc.) and sent them out originally on DVD-Rs, and was told they would not play. I had tested them all on my Oppo 105D. After a few more failures, I sent out DVD+Rs, and everyone said they worked.

I don’t really know what hardware they were using.

What is a DVD AUDIO *4? Never heard of the format? I’m serious, they had the chance to state DVD-A and chose not to?

Ok then, does it decode a DTS CD like those nice old releases….. and conversions on CD-R? Need to be able to play Gaucho and Tres Hombres of course?
That's a table footnote. It states:
"*4 Some DVD AUDIO discs have hidden group and need password entry. Refer to the disc for the password."

What is a DVD AUDIO *4? Never heard of the format? I’m serious, they had the chance to state DVD-A and chose not to?

Ok then, does it decode a DTS CD like those nice old releases….. and conversions on CD-R? Need to be able to play Gaucho and Tres Hombres of course?
Just now ran across this page about universal players:

http://dvd-a.net/universal_blu-ray_disc_players.html
Most if not all will listed as discontinued. But if you go fishing for something used but newish this is a good collection to find one to fit your needs.
I would expect DTS to be standard about now. So Gaucho, Jasmine Nightdreams, and Mystic Moods Thunderstorm is covered no worry. But without DVD-R-A or DVD-R-V there is no Tres Hombres happening which is unacceptable.

Of course I'm joking and have all of the above ripped to FLAC on my server drives to the tune of 15 TBs or all killer lossless stereo and multi. But still when we search for a player out of the used stuff out there we want it all. Me personally I really want analog out x 5.1 or 7.1. to start with. I do pray to christ that my Yamaha AVR does not take a dump being that it has analog ins and I have a switcher box connected to it to break it out for three units going in.

I would like a back-up player though.

Just now ran across this page about universal players:

http://dvd-a.net/universal_blu-ray_disc_players.html
Most if not all will listed as discontinued. But if you go fishing for something used but newish this is a good collection to find one to fit your needs.
That is many years out of date, since it does not include Oppo 203/205. I assume it is missing a number of other more recent players, and it doesn't list any Sony models.

When you say "burned copies" OQG, you mean an encrypted copy?
The reason I'm trying to be clear is I sometimes author DVDA, so naturally I would like to burn a copy and make sure it's fine in a disc player.

I have 3 Oppo's that will play burned DVDA, but as we know they are getting a little long in the tooth.
Mail me one and I'll test it for you.

Me personally I really want analog out x 5.1 or 7.1. to start with. I do pray to christ that my Yamaha AVR does not take a dump being that it has analog ins and I have a switcher box connected to it to break it out for three units going in.
I am curious as to why this analog option is of such value to you?

That is many years out of date, since it does not include Oppo 203/205. I assume it is missing a number of other more recent players, and it doesn't list any Sony models.
Yes, it is dated. Kinda stating the obvious, eh? But if the OP might looking to upgrade from an BDP-80 to something newer but used, it is a good collection of info. Myself except for the Cambridge units I didn't know there were so many alternatives coming close to Oppo effectiveness. Perhaps a chance to move up without paying exorbitant used Oppo or new Reavon prices.

I'm far from an expert on Sony disc spinners but I just spent the last half hour looking for that magic combo of SACD, DVD-A plus good file capability and analog output with Sony. Simply finding one with DVD-A is very scarce . The site being DVD-A.net might explain why Sony's weren't included. I do note that the X800M2 ticks most of these boxes except for analog MCH out. Also the X800M2 is mentioned on the current
DVD-A.net home page along with a couple of interesting Pioneer players I wasn't aware of.

Last edited:
Shame the BDP-80 won't rip SACD. It will freely play SACD-R since it was out of production when the Blu ray org came down on Oppo (and of course Sony) so the firmware never had SACD-R disabled. If that's important to anyone these days.

When you say "burned copies" OQG, you mean an encrypted copy?
The reason I'm trying to be clear is I sometimes author DVDA, so naturally I would like to burn a copy and make sure it's fine in a disc player.

I have 3 Oppo's that will play burned DVDA, but as we know they are getting a little long in the tooth.

Yes, unfortunately this has been my experience with a burned DVD-A, regardless of whether it’s my own music that I authored to DVD-A or a backup of my store bought DVD-A. To play these discs, including SACD-R, I use certain modified Pioneer players from the mid 2000s era. The player’s I’m familiar with have 5.1 RCA output jacks. No HDMI models that I’m familiar with, except certain Oppo players.

Yes, unfortunately this has been my experience with a burned DVD-A, regardless of whether it’s my own music that I authored to DVD-A or a backup of my store bought DVD-A. To play these discs, including SACD-R, I use certain modified Pioneer players from the mid 2000s era. The player’s I’m familiar with have 5.1 RCA output jacks. No HDMI models that I’m familiar with.
Okay. Well all in all I have 4 disc players that will play DVDA burned. Three will play SACD-R. The Oppo 103 will play burned DVDA but will not play burned SACD-R. But the Russian firmware allows me to play about any .iso file over my network.
Man it's all messed up. lol. I modded all my players firmware except the BDP-80.

I am curious as to why this analog option is of such value to you?
I own three 5.1 players, two have no HDMI. Being a fan of analog EQ which I have previously mentioned several times here in forums. My setup is working well, sounds amazing, it was relatively low cost. I think I will stick with what is working.

Sony X800M2 Built like a tank, great smooth quiet transport, plays just about everything done.
Best of all being sold on sale everywhere for under $250. Just got one for myself as a backup since
the price drop.
I just bit at $250 and have an unboxed X800M2 now in the closet. Plan is to use it in maybe 5-10 years, and sell my current X800M2 assuming it's still working and didn't die before I could swap/resell. Depends on how the market for media players looks, I may run my current X800M2 until it dies if there's no cheap replacement options at that time.

Also grabbed the Sony STR-DH590 from Best Buy, perfect 1:1 swap with my aging Pioneer 5.1 amp. The Pioneer still works, will throw it up on eBay and get maybe $100 from it. It's more than paid for itself. Dumping used gear before it dies, and can still get some resale from it, seems like a no brainer.

I own three 5.1 players, two have no HDMI. Being a fan of analog EQ which I have previously mentioned several times here in forums. My setup is working well, sounds amazing, it was relatively low cost. I think I will stick with what is working.
Hey, if you're happy, that is all that counts. Curiosity runs deep on this forum, and people just like to know things, is all.

I ran an all analog setup for years. Seriously much happier with HDMI, in spite of how it gets handled sometimes. Since I went all HDMI I like the flexibility. i.e. I can use an HDMI switch, input several pc's and switch between them effortlessly. Not too many years ago I was using several 5.1 analog switches. HDMI has done away with that for me.
Like I always say, what ever works for folks is what's good, and I would not tell someone to change a thing on my opinion.

That's a table footnote. It states:
"*4 Some DVD AUDIO discs have hidden group and need password entry. Refer to the disc for the password."
IIRC, that used to relate to video content, which would have had to be in the VIDEO_TS folder. Some discs had content that could only be accessed from a pc optical drive. Usually just dribble. "download an mp3 version" or nonsense such as that.

I just bit at $250 and have an unboxed X800M2 now in the closet. Plan is to use it in maybe 5-10 years, and sell my current X800M2 assuming it's still working and didn't die before I could swap/resell. Depends on how the market for media players looks, I may run my current X800M2 until it dies if there's no cheap replacement options at that time.

Also grabbed the Sony STR-DH590 from Best Buy, perfect 1:1 swap with my aging Pioneer 5.1 amp. The Pioneer still works, will throw it up on eBay and get maybe $100 from it. It's more than paid for itself. Dumping used gear before it dies, and can still get some resale from it, seems like a no brainer.

If you play UHDs I would suggest testing that new player before storing it. UHD is very finicky and all manufacturers have higher reports of problematic playback (freezing on UHD) than previous disc players- your chances of getting a "lemon" are much higher.The prevailing opinion is that Sonys are more prone to these problems than most, though that opinion is entirely based on anecdotal evidence. But it'd be worth testing some UHDs, especially triple layer ones.

That being said, my M2 has been relatively problem-free.

Back