Oppo email - Blu-Ray/SACD/DVD-Audio is coming!! Holy Crap!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Just received this email from Oppo:

Thank you for signing up to receive information about our upcoming OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray
Disc Player. We appreciate your interest, and would like to update you on the current
development status of this exciting new product.
One of the major design goals for the BDP-83 is to deliver first-class video quality
for both Blu-ray and DVD. We based and expanded upon our top-of-the-line DV-983H
up-converting DVD player and fully utilize the unparalleled performance of the
VRS by Anchor Bay video processing solution. You can expect all the high-end video
features including Source Direct for DVD and Blu-ray, high definition HDMI scaling,
Edge and Detail Enhancement options, and 1080p24Hz output for both Blu-ray and DVD.
We did not stop at just video performance. We further refined the audio stage, including
the addition of discrete stereo outputs and increasing the power and efficiency
of the power supply. For SACD playback, the BDP-83 supports direct DSD over HDMI
and DSD-to-analog without any PCM conversion,
a very unique feature.
With the BDP-83, we intend to release a full-featured universal Blu-ray Disc player
that supports BD Profile 2.0 (BD-Live), DVD, SACD, DVD-Audio, Dolby TrueHD, and
DTS-HD Master Audio.
As of this writing, the BDP-83 supports BD Profile 1.1 (BONUSVIEW),
DVD-Video, SACD, and bitstreaming of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. Progress
is being made on a daily basis as our engineers work diligently around the clock
to further enable DVD-Audio, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio onboard decoding,
and BD Profile 2.0.
The BDP-83 is currently undergoing an extensive and thorough Beta Test Program.
We greatly appreciate all the feedback from our beta testers, as without their hard
work and extraordinary attention to detail, the BDP-83 would not be the high quality
product that our customers have come to expect from us.
As many of our customers eagerly anticipate the release of the BDP83, we are contemplating
a "BDP-83 Early Adoption Program" in late December or early January. This program
will make available a limited number of units so you can purchase and experience
the current implementation of the BDP-83's feature set, with the ability to download
firmware as new features become available. The estimated price for the BDP-83 is
around $499 to $599.
OPPO Digital is a consumer-oriented company that listens carefully to customer opinions
and values their feedback. If it were not for our customers' feedback and support,
OPPO would not be where we are today. At OPPO we strive to provide our customers
with quality products reinforced by exceptional customer service.
Please email to [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] if you have
any questions and comments, or simply reply to this email.

OK. Anyone want to buy my Panasonics? :D (I doubt it)

That is great news, I got it too. Pleasant surprise that they decided to include DVD-A as well.

They've at least got a price range now and this adoption program...

It should be noted that DVD-A isn't yet implemented; they are hoping to add it with firmware down the line.

Still this is great news!

I guess the dvd section will be multizone but will we get multi region blu ray playback?...

There is zero chance the player will be all-region capable out of the box for either DVD or Blu-ray. What might be possible with hardware modifications isn't clear at all and I would consider it unlikely that a simple remote control hack to make it all region will be possible but I don't know. I would not recommend buying this player for all all-region playback unless you read it is. Just because previous Oppo DVD players had that ability is no guarantee this one will.

I thought the letter Jon and others have received was very interesting as it does mention DVD-A which tells me that Oppo believes it will be possible. I expect the player to be one of a very few Blu-ray/SACD/DVD-A players. If D&M and Oppo are the only two companies that do it, that wouldn't surprise me.

Chris

I don't know, because this would be a rare beast in the market I'm more positive to think they will produce a region-free BR player, even LG did it with his combo HD-DVD/BRD (at least it would play region A/B)

The LG BH200 is hackable by a remote code but the subsequent LG player is not or at least I have seen no mention of that ability and I follow those things. If you are positive that Oppo will violate the licensing agreement and make this player all-region capable, you are more optimistic on this point than I am. I have no inside information on the issue but I don't think all-region Blu-ray players without a hardware modification are going to be common at all which is why I own the LG BH200. I expect the BH200 to be the only player from a major manufacturer. All bets are off on off-brand or rogue Chinese manufacturers, we may see something from companies that we know nothing about that somehow manage to come in under the radar and get a license to build a Blu-ray player. I believe with all of the internet publicity and positive reviews Oppo has received, that company can't do it, the attorneys working for the BDA could make things very difficult if they did. Maybe somebody that has read a typical license to build DVD players and Blu-ray players can comment on the language but I am going to guess the Blu-ray language is much tougher on this issue.

For me the issue is moot so far, I don't have a single non-Region A Blu-ray disc to play in my BH200.

Chris

I don't know, because this would be a rare beast in the market I'm more positive to think they will produce a region-free BR player
Bad news! Someone posted an answer from Oppo to exactly this question in the German Beisammen Forum:

The BDP-83 will support DVD Region 1 and Blu-ray Region A only. The Blu-ray Disc Association does not allow us to support any region unlocking capabilities, even for DVD-Video playback.

As Blu-ray is a relatively new platform, we want to make sure we can sell Blu-ray players for many more years to come. We do not want to implement or excise any content control which could jeopardize our standing with the Blu-ray Disc Association.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629 Terminal Blvd., Suite B
Mountain View CA 94043
USA
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

Seems they don't dare to do something in that direction, because they don't want to provoke the BDA... :(

here's a copy of the first actual acceptance email for 'early adaption program' from oppo-

Sent: 2/25/2009 5:51:34 P.M. Pacific Standard Time
Subj: Invitation to the OPPO BDP-83 Early Adoption Program

Dear xxxxxxx,

We would like to cordially invite you to participate in the BDP-83 Early Adoption Program. You are one of the 50 potential customers randomly selected to receive this invitation from the list of users interested in the Early Adoption Program.

As you already know from earlier communications, the OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc player is an exciting new product. We are taking the time and effort to develop it into a full-featured, high-performance player. The Early Adoption Program provides you an opportunity to purchase and experience the BDP-83 before its official release. As a condition of participating in this program, we will ask you to vote on whether we should expand the Early Adoption Program to more users based on your first-hand usage experience.

If you decide to accept this invitation and participate in the Early Adoption Program, please place your order no later than 3pm February 27th Pacific Time using the following link:

http://......

The link is unique for your invitation, therefore please do not share it with others. All orders are subject to verification. The invitation will expire and the opportunity to participate will be passed on to another customer if we do not receive your order by the aforementioned time. Participation is governed by the Terms and Conditions listed on our web site:

http://.........

For your reference, the preliminary features and specifications list of the OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player can be found at:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/blu-ray-BDP-83-Features.aspx

Should you decide not to accept the invitation, we kindly ask you to reply to us as soon as possible. This way we can pass the opportunity to another customer.

Thank you very much for your support and we hope to see you in the Early Adoption Program. Should you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
[email protected]
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is a copy of someone elses memo, not mine as i did not sign up for 'early adaption program'.
westgate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back