Oppo Network Issues and Music Management Software For Mac OS X Users?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B&W Driver

As we're in the long process of buying what we need to create a wireless [non-internet] LAN "digital jukebox," we began experimenting with our Mac computer gear and some of our A/V equipment. The first piece of audio gear we physically connected to the wireless LAN was our Oppo 105D. Although I won't get into this very long story here, we ended up finding that we can't access or share files between our 105D and our music file storage, currently our MacBook Pro (MBP), due to security issues.

Specifically, once you select the Network icon from the Oppo's setup menu, via an HDMI connection to a video monitor, you can see the computer name of our MBP, but once you attempt to access audio files on the MBP, you eventually see this screen:

Oppo Screen Shot 3 .jpg

It looks innocuous enough, but we've tried every username, computer and network name (and their passwords) that we can think of, to no avail. This being the case, I began reading upon Oppo-Mac network connection issues and, eventually, ran across this discussion on the Apple Support site. In summary, it seems to indicate that the Oppo players cannot share files with a Mac machine due to Server Message Block (SMB) sharing protocol issues. In addition, this support article seems to suggest that 3rd party DLNA-certified music management software is the way around this kind of problem.

So, if anyone on the forum board has run into this Oppo network file sharing issue, I'd really love to read about how you overcame it...or, perhaps, you simply gave up on using the your Oppo player on your LAN and used, as the Apple support article seems to suggest, a reliable 3rd party DLNA software utility to share your audio files? Either way, your experience with any of these Mac-related issues would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, we live in a mountainous setting and, therefore, have no high-speed internet access available to us.

Thank you kindly for your time. :)

It's an issue of smb 2 on the oppo trying to talk to smb 3 on the Mac. Look into using jriver or firestream.

Here is a list of others you can also try, but make sure the ones you test don't require a dedicated client and, as always, YMMV:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UPnP_AV_media_servers_and_clients
FBF..... Although we've been happy with OS X for many years now, I'm certainly no networking expert: especially when it comes to using a MacBook Pro (MBP) as the music file source.

Okay, so I now understand that the file sharing protocols employed by the Oppo BDP-105D (SMB 2.X) and the MBP (SMB 3.0) are different and, more to the point, are probably hindering file sharing between the two devices. I appreciate you clarifying the Apple Support article for me, but I'm still confused about the 3rd party software you mentioned? Are you saying that JRiver and Firestream don't require a "dedicated client"? I'd also appreciate if you would elaborate on what a "dedicated client" is?

As I'm sure you know, a lot of the networking information available on the internet is written for those who are cognizant of it, so a lot of it passes over my head, so I'd appreciate it if you would simplify things a bit for an old vet.

Thank you very much for your time ~ B&W

Hey there, I stumbled upon this thread while trying to solve a similar issue. I haven't found a solution yet, but I wanted to thank you for the detailed explanation of your experience with the Oppo-Mac network connection issue. I recently discovered a project management tool that might be helpful for organizing tasks and timelines. It's called a CRM Gantt chart, which combines CRM and project management in one. Have any of you tried using a CRM Gantt chart for organizing your music management software or network issues? I'm new to this forum and excited to learn from all of you!

Back