Paul Simon SQ LP from the UK - w/CBS Sticker on label

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Check this out. It appears that for sale in the UK, they stuck a gold ring sticker over the COLUMBIA QUADRAPHONIC logo that circles the label that had the CBS label name instead of Columbia, which was not used in the UK.

Probably done by hand!!! One would guess these were fairly limited in distribution, and didn't last long.

I've never seen one of these before. Is this common? Have any of our UK Members seen this before?

Paul Simon UK SQ.jpg

At least this sticker ring is decent, matching in color with the label. I have one or two where the sticker ring was white.
Of course, there were also appropriate stickers on front/back cover sleeve, including the long bottom-banner of desescription of the SQ system found in the early SQ releases with gold borders on cover.

The same sticker adventure was also done by JVC to rebrand CD-4 on Japanese Victor label for export outside Japan, in order to cover the dog on the label.

Why all this mess?
"Columbia" was a trademark of EMI in UK/Europe, while a independent company in USA/Japan.
"The dog" was a trademark of EMI UK (His Master's Voice), while it was on RCA in USA and JVC in Japan.

Several examples about SQ stickering:

Art Garfunkel "Angel Clare" label sticker 1, full white ring

1fdb_12.JPG

Art Garfunkel "Angel Clare", partial ring

$(KGrHqZ,!nkE63U,g-DYBO+,pUJEuw~~60_12.JPG

Barbra Streisand "Live", partial ring, different color

$(KGrHqV,!hsE7FIMfionBPCdFq4Cr!~~60_12.JPG

Walter Carlos, Switched-on Bach, two front-cover stickers

$(KGrHqZHJDoE7zB3BQspBO9j-nsh7w~~60_12.JPG

All of our CBS releases that were imported from the USA were like that because EMI owned the rights to the Columbia name over here. 99% of the time it was done carefully. On the early releases, like 'Switched on Bach' they even had a modified version of the box on the rear bottm reprinted.

They obviously ran out of Quad sleeves as my Art Garfunkel album is the stereo sleeve with just a small gold sticker showing it to be Quad

Guess it was do that, or have nothing, so it was accepted

OD

Back