Pearl Jam "Dark Matter" CD+BD-A w/ Atmos (4/19/2024)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered the CD/BD bundle directly from the Pearl Jam site, to Calif.
mail
Pearl Jam Dark Matter × 1
DELUXE CD
$29.98​
Subtotal
$29.98
Shipping
$6.89
Taxes
$0.00
Total
$36.87 USD

As this title is part of the Universal Music Group {UMG} no doubt it WILL be available for order through Amazon, Deep Discount and Import CDs in the states!
No sooner than you posted that, it was showing up everywhere music is sold. Probably 99% likely to be on Amazon based on how widespread it's being distributed. Also means they're keeping the printing presses warm on this release, so not likely to be a rare thing and probably in stock after April 19. I say this solely on how other releases panned out that were supported at this higher level by a record label, YMMV.

Yeah, pearl jam probably among the pioneer releasing their new music in Dolby Atmos with their previous album Gigaton. Back then, they planned to held special event in theaters showcasing Gigaton in Dolby Atmos but got cancel due to the pandemic. It was then offered online in iTunes and Apple TV.
This is why this is a hard pass. Love the earliest albums through Yield, then there just isn't a compelling reason to pick Pearl Jam over any other rock band. Gigaton (and all their albums since Binaural) played a handful of times, concluded much of the same. Moved on. Common for bands to fall into this 'rut'. Tears For Fears and few others revamp their careers with anything resembling fresh later on, that's why they're notable exceptions.

Just trying to bring some perspective to the hype. I'll need to hear the whole album before committing $27+ to a Pearl Jam release in 2024.

I'm likewise on the fence. The single is OK, but really want to sample the Atmos mix before plunking down $30 on new Pearl Jam.

I agree with @stoopid , with regards to Pear Jam and their music right up to the Yield/Binaural line. Of the major grunge bands PJ, Nirvana, Soundgarden and Alice In Chains from the 90s era, Pearl Jam has aged the worst for me. I find myself rarely in a mood to listen to them.

But I feel the opposite about being able to get the cd and MC blu-ray for $27. At that price I will buy my ticket and take a chance. I guess what constitutes a bargain is in the eye of the beholder. If it's less than the cost of a nice lunch at an average chain restautant, and I know it's a band that I have liked in the past, WTH.

I did exactly the same with the SDE exclusive release of Def Leppard's Diamond Store Halo for the same reason, and I feel exactly the same way about them as PJ (everything after Adrenalize hasn't done much for me). And likewise, of all their the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal peers, Iron Maiden, Saxon, Judas Priest, et al., DL has aged the worst for me.

I'm holding out for Amazon though.

But I feel the opposite about being able to get the cd and MC blu-ray for $27. At that price I will buy my ticket and take a chance. I guess what constitutes a bargain is in the eye of the beholder. If it's less than the cost of a nice lunch at an average chain restautant, and I know it's a band that I have liked in the past, WTH.
Depends on how budget constrained someone is, as well. I go out to eat maybe twice a month on average (any meals). Maybe not even that often. Honestly it's how I afford other things, eating out is expensive and a sunk cost compared to feeding myself at home. Not everyone here has to pinch pennies, I realize that. Other than surround music, many of us having little else in common demographically. I'm likely one of the financially 'poorest' members on this forum. If someone wants to have a poor-off, I'd be down for that. Maybe in another thread though.

I got the SDE mail today, but I never order anything from them other than the SDE exclusives that I want. They are to high on shipping and they don't deduct local VAT, so I end up paying both UK VAT and Norwegian VAT. BS and JPC deducts local VAT so I only have to pay Norwegian VAT when I receive the order. The price difference between SDE and JPC for this release are about £15.

Last edited:
Depends on how budget constrained someone is, as well. I go out to eat maybe twice a month on average (any meals). Maybe not even that often. Honestly it's how I afford other things, eating out is expensive and a sunk cost compared to feeding myself at home. Not everyone here has to pinch pennies, I realize that. Other than surround music, many of us having little else in common demographically. I'm likely one of the financially 'poorest' members on this forum. If someone wants to have a poor-off, I'd be down for that. Maybe in another thread though.
I don't eat out much either because I'd rather spend my $$ on something more tangible but I understand. Sorry if I sounded like everyone should have $20 bills to throw away on frivolous things. While I might be willing to part with $20 without much thought, I'm not willing to go much higher.

Back