Peter Gabriel I/O (2CD/Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos mix out 12/1!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not have an Atmos setup, but it folds down nicely on my 5.1 setup. It is a very worthwhile mix in that regard, and the fact that I love this album helps even more.

I had high hopes for this release. I really like much of Peter's work. But I didn't purchase this release and will not vote.

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure the multi-channel engineering and recording quality is top notch. It's impossible to imagine it not being so. That's not why I didn't buy it. It's the depressingly dark winter like mood that prevails throughout the compositions with only a couple of slight exceptions. Each composition to me seems to monotonously grovel on and on with very little variation or surprise. It actually induces sadness in me and makes me deeply depressed.

To me there is no "Bright Side".

I'm sorry but I'm depressed enough in my old painful aged body. I need more uplifting variety and excitement in my music. To each their own. I just wanted to express my thoughts. Does anyone agree?
Artists can take it on down and I'm right at home. Some of Steven Wilsons lyrics explore some dark topics e.g.
My old and increasingly worn out body can't keep up with my mind. ..at least for now.
Depression comes natural for me and I've learned to deal with it through music.
But fair is fair, if it doesn't appeal I get that.
Many releases that seem popular don't appeal to me for more than 5 minutes then go on the shelf.

Stay safe, brother.

Artists can take it on down and I'm right at home. Some of Steven Wilsons lyrics explore some dark topics e.g.
My old and increasingly worn out body can't keep up with my mind. ..at least for now.
Depression comes natural for me and I've learned to deal with it through music.
But fair is fair, if it doesn't appeal I get that.
Many releases that seem popular don't appeal to me for more than 5 minutes then go on the shelf.

Stay safe, brother.
I can’t speak to depression (although I have family members on my wife’s side that suffer). But I am compiling a “love” tape mix for my wife on our 25th wedding anniversary, and “Love Can Heal” and “So Much” from the i/o Inside mix just made the consideration set. Worth additional listens with the lyric sheet IMHO.

I find this album to be very consistent with PG's general body of work. Pretty sure making us feel good isn't top of mind for him. Other than a few standalone hits I can't think of many PG songs I'd play at my next party... That said I also don't find this album particularly depressing or monotonous, like most of PG's work it requires quite a few spins and deeper listening to understand and appreciate.
I find I like his new records better after I hear him perform the songs live. With I/O, only a few songs had been released before I saw him t Madison Square Garden in September.

I downloaded each mix each month as they were released, and built 3 playlists, adding the mixes to each ever month until the full album was revealed.

I like this record a lot, but it took multiple listens to have the songs reveal themselves to me.

Last edited:
Does anyone have the vinyl and can check? I was expecting the lyrics to appear in the Blu-ray box set, but there's only a pointer to check them in petergabriel.com.
BTW, I loved the streamed mixes already, but the sound quality is one notch higher on the Blu-ray, stunning clarity on the details.

For all the obvious advanced talent on display and the very accomplished mix prowess, this is just boring nothingness. Just like the last few albums now. I keep looking back as a Genesis fan hoping for more... I'll learn one of these times.

For all the obvious advanced talent on display and the very accomplished mix prowess, this is just boring nothingness. Just like the last few albums now. I keep looking back as a Genesis fan hoping for more... I'll learn one of these times.
This is my general first take; I'm not that excited by this album (despite a decent mix). BUT, I'll give it a few more listens to see if it grows on me.

@Misterbee

Just so you know... When posting Amazon links, it's possible to delete all text after the product code, ie: after B0CLB14QBJ/

Link 1
Link 2

EDIT: Personally speaking I have no idea if there's any difference between the releases. Mine has this barcode: -
barcode.jpg

And the following disc centre info on the Blu-ray disc: -
disc centre.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:
I had high hopes for this release. I really like much of Peter's work. But I didn't purchase this release and will not vote.

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure the multi-channel engineering and recording quality is top notch. It's impossible to imagine it not being so. That's not why I didn't buy it. It's the depressingly dark winter like mood that prevails throughout the compositions with only a couple of slight exceptions. Each composition to me seems to monotonously grovel on and on with very little variation or surprise. It actually induces sadness in me and makes me deeply depressed.

To me there is no "Bright Side".

I'm sorry but I'm depressed enough in my old painful aged body. I need more uplifting variety and excitement in my music. To each their own. I just wanted to express my thoughts. Does anyone agree?
I'm probably much younger than you are, but I know what being depressed means. PG's stuff doesn't make me depressed. The way I see it, he mirrors life in its various facets (as he himself said long before the album took shape, he was writing about "birth and death with the sex between"). But even when he tackles heavy subjects, he tends to do so with a certain warmth - which is something I can't say about, e.g. Steven Wilson (to use him as a metaphorical punching bag in spite of his obvious qualities as a musician and writer - Wilson's certainly got the "limiter use on stereo mixes" thing figured out better than PG, but his music to me usually retains a bit of coldness and distance, as if it's all a performance with his heart not 100% in it... or to put it differently, a bit too "calculated"). (Not wanting to start a debate with that, and I still have a lot of respect for SW. It's just not really music that fully involves me. It doesn't appeal to me on the same visceral level as PG or Tears for Fears, but I do enjoy much of it.)

Having said that, I have digested most of these songs as separate tracks thanks to the Full Moon updates, so I don't really know what the album as a whole "feels" like.

After refusing to go the "one song a month" way, I finally have been able to listen to the whole album. Positive feelings for now, so far the track I like the most is probably Four Kinds of Horses, but several others hold promise.

Kinda upset with Amazon, I preordered the CD/BD edition months ago and now I have to wait till next Monday to get it. Let's hope it'll actually be here then. Atmos has to wait for that :-(

I can’t speak to depression (although I have family members on my wife’s side that suffer). But I am compiling a “love” tape mix for my wife on our 25th wedding anniversary, and “Love Can Heal” and “So Much” from the i/o Inside mix just made the consideration set. Worth additional listens with the lyric sheet IMHO.
Wait, I take it back. I must’ve messed up my notes. Listened to “So Much” again. Definitely NOT for my wife’s love mix. Actually really depressing. Going on my “Gettin’ Older” mix. Sorry about that! “Love Can Heal” still passes, but definitely a somber take, similar to the music PG did for that movie City of Angels.

Sorry if I caused any confusion before. I saw some comments above on stereo mixes and "no 5.1", and couldn't find any specs in Amazon or other webshops, so I started to fear the worst.

But now the album has arrived to me and there is no doubt about that it's good old Dolby TrueHd surround. Terrific music too. There are of course other PG albums with stronger melodies and lyrics, but this one is just so beautifully arranged.

Back