Peter Gabriel I/O (2CD/Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos mix out 12/1!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just ripped my copy. There is a 5.1 Dolby Digital option on the MKV rip, under the TrueHD option. I don't know how you would play it unless your disc player can default to it. Is it setup as 5.1?

Would you rather play a folded down 7.1 or a lossy 5.1? Is the 5.1DD a truly dedicated mix or a fold down from the 7.1? If it's a fold down, why is the codec different?
Oh, I didn't mean that. I just misunderstood some previous posts and it got into my head that there would be no surround.

Anyway, once the blu- ray arrived, I could happily confirm that there was multichannel TrueHD. My gear is only 5.1 but I find the instruments very nicely spread out in the room, so for me the fold down from 7.1 is OK.

I don't know if some receiver setting/listening mode would use the lossy 5.1, but I strongly doubt it could ever come near the quality of a fold down.

Peter Gabriel mixes are not going to be "Atmos applied to an original 7.1 mix" faux business. Real World studios would be using the full 12 channel array to mix to. Unless they're doing 16 ch 9.1.6 mixes. (I haven't looked at this one for that yet.)[...]
They use Atmos properly, with Objects moving all over the place.

Peter Gabriel I/O The Court Atmos Objects
Peter Gabriel I/O Panopticom Atmos Objects
Peter Gabriel I/O Four Kinds Of Horses Atmos Objects
Peter Gabriel I/O And Still Atmos Objects

Oh, I didn't mean that. I just misunderstood some previous posts and it got into my head that there would be no surround.

Anyway, once the blu- ray arrived, I could happily confirm that there was multichannel TrueHD. My gear is only 5.1 but I find the instruments very nicely spread out in the room, so for me the fold down from 7.1 is OK.

I don't know if some receiver setting/listening mode would use the lossy 5.1, but I strongly doubt it could ever come near the quality of a fold down.
If your gear is only 5.1 it will work as with all the Blu-ray movies when you select each audio track.

If your AVR support Dolby True-HD it will decode the 7.1 TrueHD using 7.1 --> 5.1 to 'mix' the rear & sides (or surrounds & surropunds back) channels into your surrounds 5.1 (Ignoring the Atmos metadata).
If your AVR does not suppoort Dolby TrueHD, it will decode just the 5.1 EAC3 Dolby Digital substream. This is the backwards compatibility implemented in the format.

But in any case, even ignoring Atmos metadata, you always get ALL THE SOUNDS, although 're-distributed' among the available speakers.

Ok. At 20 listenings of the album I can confidently say I like it. To have in the same year this and Steven Wilson's Harmony Codex feels very lucky. Atmos is ok bordering on good but I need more time with that mix, I feel it will get better as I will know it better. The songs are not innovative but they are really well crafted. And the whole album is eminently listenable (something I did not feel for Up). I am not tiring of it and I keep discovering little things I had missed previously.

Ok. At 20 listenings of the album I can confidently say I like it. To have in the same year this and Steven Wilson's Harmony Codex feels very lucky. Atmos is ok bordering on good but I need more time with that mix, I feel it will get better as I will know it better. The songs are not innovative but they are really well crafted. And the whole album is eminently listenable (something I did not feel for Up). I am not tiring of it and I keep discovering little things I had missed previously.
Yup, I end up confirming my impression. Another couple of listens and I have to say that I really like the In-Side mix. I find it very organic to the music itself. More “out there” where it fits, more subdued where it’s needed.

Now I am just sad not to have most of his discography like this. Just Up in 5.1. When Passion, So, Ovo and Us would clearly benefit A LOT. There‘s always hoping, I guess. I know I would pay a fortune to get Passion in Atmos.

(the first four albums would be nice, clearly, but I’m trying to manage my expectations)

Yup, I end up confirming my impression. Another couple of listens and I have to say that I really like the In-Side mix. I find it very organic to the music itself. More “out there” where it fits, more subdued where it’s needed.

Now I am just sad not to have most of his discography like this. Just Up in 5.1. When Passion, So, Ovo and Us would clearly benefit A LOT. There‘s always hoping, I guess. I know I would pay a fortune to get Passion in Atmos.

(the first four albums would be nice, clearly, but I’m trying to manage my expectations)
An alternative is to get a copy of the DVD Play, which is a collection of PG videos in 5.1. Most of the tracks have excellent mixes. The videos are pretty good too.

This is a really helpful and nice suggestion, for something that somehow flew under my radar. Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!
Going by my faulty memory (others with better recall, please correct me if I’m wrong), I believe this had two separate releases. One DTS, one Dolby. Seek out the DTS release. The Dolby is noticeably quieter — and not in the less compressed sense we prefer, just the “it’s too quiet” sense.

I believe I have the Dolby.

Going by my faulty memory (others with better recall, please correct me if I’m wrong), I believe this had two separate releases. One DTS, one Dolby. Seek out the DTS release. The Dolby is noticeably quieter — and not in the less compressed sense we prefer, just the “it’s too quiet” sense.

I’m not 100% on this but there is a DVD release of Live in Athens 1987 that has the Play compilation as a bonus disc. I believe the discs in that set are fine on both the Dolby and DTS mixes.

It was included as a bonus disc with the Blu-Ray re-release of Live in Athens 1987.
https://www.discogs.com/release/5187117-Peter-Gabriel-Live-In-Athens-1987

Just a quick question: Is it true the 2 cd only version has an internal booklet with lyrics and images while the 2 cd + Blu-ray doesn't get one?

Just a quick question: Is it true the 2 cd only version has an internal booklet with lyrics and images while the 2 cd + Blu-ray doesn't get one?
I have the solo Blu-Ray + DVD-V version, which comes with a "two-sided" booklet: Live in Athens on one side, Play on the other.

This is a really helpful and nice suggestion, for something that somehow flew under my radar. Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!
If you get any version of the Play DVD, check if the DTS track is encoded as DTS 24/96, and if your AVR actually decodes that as 96kHz. I believe that practically no modern AVR / AVP supports that anymore, they all just use the 48kHz core.

IIRC, they both had both mixes, but on the original release, the DTS was mixed/mastered very low. It sounded good, but you had to really crank the volume- and if you returned to the menu w/o turning it down, it was VERY loud- maybe enough to blow speakers.

The version included with Live in Athens fixed that.

If you get any version of the Play DVD, check if the DTS track is encoded as DTS 24/96, and if your AVR actually decodes that as 96kHz. I believe that practically no modern AVR / AVP supports that anymore, they all just use the 48kHz core.
Nope. My Denon X3800H decodes 24/96, I confirm that 100%.

It's the DTS that is faulty. And it's REALLY quiet. If you turn it up to listenable levels, when you return to the menu, it is ear-splittingly loud. The DTS is not just a bit quiet, it's REALLY REALLY quiet. Don't think, "I'll just turn it up a bit" - it's annoyingly quiet.

The original release was DTS + DD - it was an early 96/24 release. The reissue with the Athens BD is authored OK, AFAIK (not got that myself).

Back