Pink Floyd - The Later Years (1987-2019) [CD/DVD/Blu-Ray Box Set]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See the source image

SNIFF!

Love the Shorts!! :LB - Could take the place of the PiG :love:

I love almost all Pink Floyd, but AMLOR is my least favorite. I heard talk somewhere that they might "de-80s" the mix - maybe back off of some of the percussion reverb. That would be a welcome listen, but I am not sure even that would find me falling in love with the album. DID love The Final Cut - the Jim Ladd Innerview does a lot to decode what Roger was on about. I thought it very well written, although for me Rick's sound was missed. Will be very curious to see what this set contains. Houseboat Objects?

I really loathed the Final Cut. I couldn't care less if they ever do anything with it or not.
I can understand it not being a favorite, but you aren't even a bit partial to "The Gunners Dream", "Two Suns In the Sunset", or "Not Now John" ? They definitely have the classic Floydian vibe

My bad. I was watching a couple of Gdańsk tracks a while back. David Gilmour with Richard Wright playing Echoes was one. That immediately came to mind as a PF release. I’ll seek senility treatment on Monday...

More 'wishful thinking,' Homer. Live at Gdansk SHOULD be issued on BD~V with On An Island in Lossless 5.1 surround. It was shot in Hi Def [1080p] and the DVD doesn't do it justice.

More 'wishful thinking,' Homer. Live at Gdansk SHOULD be issued on BD~V with On An Island in Lossless 5.1 surround. It was shot in Hi Def [1080p] and the DVD doesn't do it justice.

I've never been able to understand the logic of some of these concerts that were actually shot in HD and then marketed on a DVD....I had that Gdansk concert in HD on my Directv drive..

I've never been able to understand the logic of some of these concerts that were actually shot in HD and then marketed on a DVD....I had that Gdansk concert in HD on my Directv drive..

Precisely, Clint. Instead of issuing Gdansk on 2 DVDs, I'm sure it could've be accomodated on a single BD~V ..... or one BD~50 and 1 BD~25! Perhaps when they reissue this latest PF boxset, Gilmour will reissue Gdansk on BD~V [or 4K??????]

In all fairness, which doesn't really seem fair at all, the "video" representation from the tour was released as Remember That Night. Gilmour then wanted to produce an audio release later on which would compile his favorite performances throughout the tour. It turns out that the majority of the selected tracks came from Gdansk so they they decided to release it in its entirety as the "audio" representation of the tour. It was released in various combinations in order to try and please everyone. The video was considered to be an "extra" along with all the bonus footage and audio tracks. There was also a screening in cinemas which featured songs that weren't on the official release while dropping others (Echoes was sacrificed. Sacrilege!). David Gilmour Live in Gdansk deserves an official HD release on Blu-ray featuring every song from the concert. It's an amazing performance, competently shot and edited, featuring more shots of Rick than usual (always a good thing in my book). No release to date has done it justice.

In all fairness, which doesn't really seem fair at all, the "video" representation from the tour was released as Remember That Night. Gilmour then wanted to produce an audio release later on which would compile his favorite performances throughout the tour. It turns out that the majority of the selected tracks came from Gdansk so they they decided to release it in its entirety as the "audio" representation of the tour. It was released in various combinations in order to try and please everyone. The video was considered to be an "extra" along with all the bonus footage and audio tracks. There was also a screening in cinemas which featured songs that weren't on the official release while dropping others (Echoes was sacrificed. Sacrilege!). David Gilmour Live in Gdansk deserves an official HD release on Blu-ray featuring every song from the concert. It's an amazing performance, competently shot and edited, featuring more shots of Rick than usual (always a good thing in my book). No release to date has done it justice.

I knew some of that...but not all...thanks...but my post includes other events that I used to view on the various music channels on Directv and they were also released as DVD only items...Gdansk isn't the only one...quite a few were like that...

James Taylor and Carole King Live at the Troubadour was in HD on DTV and only released as a DVD...same with Tina Turner...and I love that concert..

I knew some of that...but not all...thanks...but my post includes other events that I used to view on the various music channels on Directv and they were also released as DVD only items...Gdansk isn't the only one...quite a few were like that...

James Taylor and Carole King Live at the Troubadour was in HD on DTV and only released as a DVD...same with Tina Turner...and I love that concert..

Since the first blu~ray discs were commercially produced in 2006, I do find it amazing that A list Artists continue to release HD video/audio on 480p DVD. Literally, for a few pennies more what's the BIG DEAL?

Last edited:
This is an interesting development. Like every one else has already said, it would probably include: A Momentary Lapse of Reason, maybe Delicate Sounds of Thunder, The Division Bell, maybe Pulse, and maybe The Endless River.
Maybe outtakes and demos from the studio albums, and maybe the rest of the Big Spliff too, or a bigger chunk of it than has come out as The Endless River. That seems a little bit light for a boxed set, but I'm game for it, and will
be interested in more details when they come out.

Interesting comments about The Final Cut, it's curiosity kind of caught in limbo in the dissolution era of The Floyd. Not everyone's cup of tea, and darker and more depressing than it's predecessor, but would probably be well
served in surround sound.

Back