Pink Floyd The Wall in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too! I was just out of high school for a coupla years when it hit, so it didn't "imprint" on me the same way it seems to have done for many others (Quadrophenia was That Record for me). Maybe for the best, as I haven't grown tired of The Wall over the years. Yes it is kind of a downer, but I find it a fairly well-executed tragedy if that makes sense. The decline and fall of a human soul, by Pink Floyd.

I'll buy the hell out of a good 5.1 mix, that's fer sure.

P.S. Not for nuthin, but am I the only one who can only listen to Floyd at night? It just doesn't sound right during the daytime. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (Well, maybe "Money" is a good one to blast in the car any time, but that's about it?)

Last edited:
Did you know that Another Brick in the Wall (part 2) was the bands attempt at producing a "Disco" single?

Pink Floyd and Disco in the same sentence... just not quite right.
The only thing about Pink Floyd's "Another Brick In The Wall (Pt.2)" that's 'disco' is the beat. Remember that in 1979, there was a Huge Backlash against disco and the music industry backed away from it by the end of the year. Both The Stones' "Emotional Rescue" & Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust" were True Disco Songs & were lucky to receive airplay on Rock Radio stations in 1980.

Both The Stones' "Emotional Rescue" & Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust" were True Disco Songs...
Uhhh... No, they aren't. Neither have the iconic disco beat (Queen get close, though) or disco arrangements. Disco-inspired? Yes. Disco? No. The same can be said for "Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2)" and the Stones' "Miss You" (which is far more disco than "Emotional Rescue").

Uhhh... No, they aren't. Neither have the iconic disco beat (Queen get close, though) or disco arrangements. Disco-inspired? Yes. Disco? No. The same can be said for "Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2)" and the Stones' "Miss You" (which is far more disco than "Emotional Rescue").
So many bands went with the flow, "I Was Made for Loving You," "Miss You,""Heart of Glass," "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?"

Did you know that Another Brick in the Wall (part 2) was the bands attempt at producing a "Disco" single?

Pink Floyd and Disco in the same sentence... just not quite right.

After one of the 1980 live performances of "Run Like Hell" Roger says something like "Nice to know there are some disco lovers left in L.A."

So many bands went with the flow, "I Was Made for Loving You," "Miss You,""Heart of Glass," "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?"
Don't forget: even the Grateful Dead jumped on the bandwagon with Shakedown Street.

And if it means anything, Another Brick was also released as a 12" vinyl single at 45rpm for club DJs. 😃

Meanwhile, I was back in 1979 Chicago and my fav disc jockey Steve Dahl cooked up a promotion that was called Disco Demolition Night and what has now come to be known as "The Night Disco Died". What a hoot it was, I wanted to go down that night but had to work and couldn't afford the lost pay. A good time was had by all. (almost all LOL)

Wait: Cheap Trick... Disco....? :unsure:
You're right, it's a stretch. It just seemed that everyone in circa 1979 had to pay homage to a disco reference, and yes, even the great Cheap Trick gave a nod at 2:57 to 3:12 of I Want You to Want Me. Appears to be a live performance gimmick of the era telling the audience to dance, kind of like when lead singers (of all eras) bring their hands over their heads and invite the audience to clap.

That said, I was probably thinking more in my head of the Kinks and their 1979 live version of Lola (from Providence) that appears on their greatest hits. Listen to 3:47 to 3:59. Davies pays the same homage and says "alright here is the disco version" and they proceed to play the same beat that Cheap Trick does at 2:57 of IWYTWM.

Me too! I was just out of high school for a coupla years when it hit, so it didn't "imprint" on me the same way it seems to have done for many others (Quadrophenia was That Record for me). Maybe for the best, as I haven't grown tired of The Wall over the years. Yes it is kind of a downer, but I find it a fairly well-executed tragedy if that makes sense. The decline and fall of a human soul, by Pink Floyd.

I'll buy the hell out of a good 5.1 mix, that's fer sure.

P.S. Not for nuthin, but am I the only one who can only listen to Floyd at night? It just doesn't sound right during the daytime. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (Well, maybe "Money" is a good one to blast in the car any time, but that's about it?)
Quadrophenia, is the one album to have if you could only own 1 album!

I must not have a very good imagination.

Another Brick in the Wall, Shakedown Street and I Want You To Want Me have NEVER come anywhere near my disco radar. I have listened to them nearly as long as I have been listening to disco. I actually think it is funny really if anyone thinks these are disco songs.

No definitely NOT disco
Was talking about nods to disco in recordings. Nobody is saying Pink Floyd is disco. But a lot of bands made a nod or head fake, maybe just to have fun with it. Nobody would say Kiss is disco, but please take a moment to suffer through New York Groove. I guess that was just Ace Frehley solo, but still...

Here’s what Cheap Trick said about IWYTWM:
https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-story-behind-the-song-i-want-you-to-want-me-by-cheap-trick
Yes, not disco, but no one was immune to the influence In the late 70s, even if they were making fun of it.

Back