Post about Atmos benefiting audio engineers but comments are anti-Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What exactly does a jailbreak do for the Oppo? I just read here that they play iso files which I was unaware of Oppo Plays 4k UHD ISO's!
If that is the case my problem is solved. I have several Oppo players.
You could try with your Oppo players, first, as they are.

The jailbreak unlocks all of playing supported formats for the optical disc drive, and maybe some others, making them available to the playing of files from local attached discs and/or network files. Other system access to the Operating System may be also unlocked, I don't know exactly.

This can be a reference explanation. Information to be treated with care, as that is not 'official' firmware.

I currently send either HDMI audio out from an Oppo if using physical media or stream Apple Music both feed into a Trinnov Altitude 16 which cracks the encoding does the room correction and then feeds balanced outs. I would need an app/hardware package that can read and feed the iso files in that setup. The Trinnov does have balanced inputs but then I’m running 13 cables from some a/v box instead of one HDMI.

A streaming box tha could read iso files and output HDMI I guess.
As I've previously posted I am very happy with my inexpensive Zidoo Z9X movie streamer. It handles most of what I throw at it (MKV, Dolby Vision, BDMVs, MP4, etc), except embedded Auro 3D flac files (as I've posted about elsewhere).

Well, there are so many “standards” that they really aren’t standards. I recall a handful of forays into digital audio that eventually fell by the wayside, like outputting a digital signal in the form of an analog TV signal so it could be recorded on videotape. I never could play one of those, and I don’t feel like I’ve missed out on anything.

As far as surround vinyl is concerned, face it, all those formats were a flash in the pan - they showed up, but not enough people felt they were worth the expense and bother to keep them alive for more than about ten years. Many of us here are using antique gear in order to play antique formats. I’ve noted my own minor obsession with the EVR format, which was even shorter-lived. I also collect View-Master 3D reels, which are not compatible with anything but themselves. Another niche that some of us love, but most simply don’t care about.

I suspect that a lot of the market confusion we’re seeing is going to result in a few winners and several losers. I’m not clairvoyant enough to predict what falls into where, but, like many of us here, I’m making a handful of choices as to which products I’ll support and which I’ll pass on. I’ve gotten rid of anything on tape, for example, and I’m hanging on to my 3D TV instead of replacing it with 4K.

Choices like those are individual preferences. You say tomayto, I say tomahto.
I have at least 20 years of surround on vinyl. Most of it is in Dolby Surround. Most of these are movie soundtrack albums.

I still listen to TV shows in Dolby Surround. Most of them are still in Dolby Surround.

The real problem is that when the patent expires, they discontinue the format.

You could try with your Oppo players, first, as they are.

The jailbreak unlocks all of playing supported formats for the optical disc drive, and maybe some others, making them available to the playing of files from local attached discs and/or network files. Other system access to the Operating System may be also unlocked, I don't know exactly.

This can be a reference explanation. Information to be treated with care, as that is not 'official' firmware.
I don't know about the Jailbroke Oppo 203, but I suspect it's the same as my 103: that is SACD-R can be played as an .iso but not as a disc?

The real problem is that when the patent expires, they discontinue the format.
I’m sure that’s frustrating. I have a handful of Dolby Surround media and no way to accurately decode it.

We’re fortunate in having Involve having decided a combo matrix decoder is a profitable product for our beloved vinyl collections. A lot of the design of the legacy decoders is tied up in chips that, if you can even find the parts, may well be counterfeit, so as they eventually succumb to age, they are no longer restorable. Some of our old tube gear also fits into that category.

Since patents are public knowledge, supposedly giving “a person with reasonable knowledge of the state of the art the ability to make and use” the invention, the information necessary to build a new “Dolby” surround decoder is available for anyone who thinks it’s a worthy endeavor. The hard part now is finding that person.

I certainly haven’t examined the patents, although I’m pretty certain they are available on USPTO.GOV and google patents. I did a stint working at the US Patent Office, and every patent from day 1 (well before they started numbering them), a method for making potash, up to last week’s releases, as well as pre-patent publications, are available on line.

I would suspect that the equations for encoding and decoding the matrices for the signals are disclosed. Even if the circuits are not disclosed, a competent circuit designer could probably come up with something that worked well, and if they applied DSP as Involve does with their decoders, it might well be better than the originals. Again, I haven’t bothered looking, as I have plenty on my plate already, and I don’t need yet another distraction.

If someone wants to tackle that project, they can PM me, and I’ll give what guidance I can, but I personally don’t have any interest in making one.

Back