Problems with Blu-ray 2.0 DTS-HD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornwall198

QQ Supporter
I am still relatively new to this (brilliant!) game, and wonder can anyone help me with this one. I have been purchasing some of the Blu-ray Pure Audio titles (Beck Sea Changes, Rolling Stones GRR, Karajan Beethoven 9, etc.) I have an Oppo 93, going through a Marantz SR7007, to a B&W CM9 speaker set up.

When I select PCM and the Dolby TrueHD audio options, no problems. BUT when I try the 2.0 DTS-HD Master Audio 24 Bit/96Khz, I get no sound and then what sounds like awful static. From all the Blu-ray Pure Audio discs.

I have no problems playing Blu-ray movies, SACDs, DVD-As, CDs, etc. Any advice or input, very welcome. I'll certainly appreciate the help. THANKS!

Are you using HDMI or 7.1 analogue?

Are you bitstreaming the codecs (Dolby/Dolby True HD, DTS/DTS-HD MA) to your receiver as is,
or sending already converted by the Oppo into LPCM?

Are you using HDMI or 7.1 analogue?

Are you bitstreaming the codecs (Dolby/Dolby True HD, DTS/DTS-HD MA) to your receiver as is,
or sending already converted by the Oppo into LPCM?

Appreciate the speedy replies! Thanks... I am using HDMI. Not quite sure I know enough to answer the second question. I pop the blu-ray disc in, and then on the TV Screen, select the audio from the menu. So, when I select the LPCM it plays fine. When I select DTS-HD MA = static. BUT only these Universal discs. NOT when I select DTS-HD MA on e.g. blu-rays by Clapton (Give me strength) or Yes (Close to the edge).

Go into the Setup Menu on your Oppo.

Under Audio Format Setup, go to HDMI Audio and select "Bitstream".

This means the Marantz is handling the D/A conversion of the DTS HD-MA.

I find this method less buggy with all sorts of stuff (there are even - unrelated - anomalies.. with other discs including SACD DSD.. Michael Jackson's Thriller SACD stutters and skips all over place if the Oppo is decoding the SACD, for example.. but if I set the player to Bitstream to the receiver and output SACD as PCM all is hunky dory! Odd but it works for that disc!).

If you're already setup to Bitstream to the receiver, then there's a firmware issue or some incompatibility with the Marantz and the DTS on these discs.. if you've already set the Oppo HDMI Audio Format to "LPCM", as the other discs you mention all play the DTS HD-MA no problem as leevitalone1 suggests you need to get onto Oppo, as something's up with the Oppo.

I'll add this, from my experience you'll want to prioritise playing the PCM on these Universal label HFPA Pure Audio Blu-ray's, as both the DTS and Dolby streams are subject to Dialog Normalization, even the 2-channel programs, which boosts the volume by anything from +2db upward and is both unnecessary and horrid imho! :yikes

And that, my friend, Mr FredBlue, did the trick. Even if I won't need it going forward as I intend to stick to your PCM advice. But good learning! Thanks - and cheers!

And that, my friend, Mr FredBlue, did the trick. Even if I won't need it going forward as I intend to stick to your PCM advice. But good learning! Thanks - and cheers!

You're very welcome Mr.cornwall :) I've no idea why it works but there you have it, works for me, works for you :banana:

Back