Q8: Harman/Kardon 8+

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeropoint

I'll add photos and whatever info I can find about this 8-track, shortly.

Rarity: UNKNOWN

Average Sale Price: UNKNOWN

Attachments

• HARMAN KARDON 8+ bk.jpg
    HARMAN KARDON 8+ bk.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 484
  • HARMAN KARDON 8+ ft 2.jpg
    HARMAN KARDON 8+ ft 2.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 510
Here are some rare photos of it's innards. They are not photos of my player, but are by courtesy and kind permission of a fellow enthusiast.

NB: these photos are of the US model, whereas mine is the UK/Euro model.

Attachments

• HK8track05.jpg
    HK8track05.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 440
  • HK8track04.jpg
    HK8track04.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 433
  • HK8track01.jpg
    HK8track01.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 433
  • HK8track08.jpg
    HK8track08.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 432
  • HK8track07.jpg
    HK8track07.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 426
  • HK8track06.jpg
    HK8track06.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 427
More photos of the exterior.

Attachments

• HK8track11.jpg
    HK8track11.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 406
  • HK8track12.jpg
    HK8track12.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 427
  • HK8track13.jpg
    HK8track13.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 444
  • HK8track14.jpg
    HK8track14.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 419
  • HK8track15.jpg
    HK8track15.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 412
  • HK8track16.jpg
    HK8track16.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 413
  • HK8track17.jpg
    HK8track17.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 420
..and yet more photos..

Attachments

• HK8track09.jpg
    HK8track09.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 439
  • HK8track10.jpg
    HK8track10.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 418
  • HK8track18.jpg
    HK8track18.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 403
  • HK8track19.jpg
    HK8track19.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 400
  • HK8track20.jpg
    HK8track20.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 409
  • HK8track21.jpg
    HK8track21.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 404
  • HK8track22.jpg
    HK8track22.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 439
Check past threads, this is the same player as a sony and another, just the face changed. These are probably the best and most reliable players by far.

This is the player I have, and after owning about 10 other units, including the Akai and Technics recorders, this is the unit that performs the best (for me) for playback of Q8 tapes. The pictures above cover the unit, so there's no point in me adding any more.

If you want a great Q8 player that pulls the long tapes and stays aligned with low Wow and Flutter, track down one of these guys. Like Tad says above, it also can be found as a Sony unit as well.

I just picked up one of these units. The belt was dried and crumbled. Does anyone know where I can get the proper replacement belt?

You can check out some of the resources for finding new belts on my website;
http://keepontrackin.webs.com/ask.htm#belt
There are a few companies that sell the belts, Premium Parts Plus, Projector/Recorder Belt Co., Tri-State Electronics. You'll find contact info for them on the site. Good luck.

You can check out some of the resources for finding new belts on my website;
http://keepontrackin.webs.com/ask.htm#belt
There are a few companies that sell the belts, Premium Parts Plus, Projector/Recorder Belt Co., Tri-State Electronics. You'll find contact info for them on the site. Good luck.
Thank you for the quick reply with the link. So far I have not seen anything directly showing a part no. for the HK 8+. I will keep looking.

I did find that the Harman Kardon 8+ is related to the Sony TC-248D. Searching the internet for a belt for the TC-248D, I came up with a part number FBM12.1 which is available from several sources, including: Turntables & Needles. Inc., Match-A-Knob, and KP Components Inc.. I would really like to feel confident that if I do order a belt, it will be the right one. I am still hoping that someone will be able to tell me that they have successfully replaced the belt for their HK 8+ and exactly what they replaced it with.

So, I finally ordered a replacement belt for my Harman Kardon Model 8+ from Studio Sound Electronics. The belt I ordered and installed was a FBM12.5. It seems to work well. The belt price was $2.85 but, with shipping and handling the total cost for one belt was $9.84.

Wow this takes me back! Thanks for posting these pictures. I owned this HK unit back in the day & it was excellent. It was an inexpensive way to get good discrete quad back in the '70s. And I loved it. I had it connected to 2 Dolby units & every stereo & quad 8 Track I owned sounded great. I guess it was the best the technology could provide at the time. Hearing the Q8 discrete mix of a lot of my SQ albums was really an eye opener back in the pre-Tate days. With this unit, plus a Sony 4 channel Reel to Reel & a CD-4 set up I jumped fully into discrete 4 channel listening. What a revelation back then! Bought that unit on sale for $75 when I was earning $125 a week. Money well spent! A good unit and a good time!

I bought mine used at a Goodwill in 1984, and it was clearly superior to a few others I had bought. It did run a little bit slow, so I applied a few layers of electrical tape to the drum and it worked out fine, still there.

Sony guts!!
[video=youtube;nb_R1VZqLcE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb_R1VZqLcE[/video]
When I was a manufacturer's rep, I sold to several guys in and around Downtown Chicago that were EXACTLY like this!

...Hearing the Q8 discrete mix of a lot of my SQ albums was really an eye opener back in the pre-Tate days....
It still is an ear opener. Discrete is discrete. I do wonder just how close a better SQ decoder could come to Q8. How different is the mix on a Q8 compared to a SQ record?

SQ or Q8 tonight?

It still is an ear opener. Discrete is discrete. I do wonder just how close a better SQ decoder could come to Q8. How different is the mix on a Q8 compared to a SQ record?

SQ or Q8 tonight?
It depends on how it's mixed. The really wide separation mixes (like Dark Side Of The Moon, Abraxas, Sly & The Family Stone's Greatest Hits), open up very well, other mixes, like most classical, are hard to hear any difference in SQ mode, but the tape is always more discrete than a matrix system.

Back