Q8 Tape Player Gallery!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmmm I still think you should go for the green meter one, the vu-meters look cooler in my books then the blue meter ones

you could also perhaps try and get a stand alone noise suppressor

anyways I think you should buy a deck soon, I try keep an eye on prices (they are lower then usual because there seems to be a glut of Technics TOTL players on ebay at the moment)

q-eight which Technics 858 model did you sell? were you the seller that had the (Technics/Panasonic quad demo tape that went with the unit?)

as far as I know its a myth, I first heard it from quadbob (its hard to say that he is lying.....what benefit would he have if hes talking about 8 tracks, but any comments he makes should be scrutinized)

in any case he states

"The modification applies ONLY to the Blue meter 858's as Technics re-designed the spring clamp assembly between the two different versions.

I think this is the reason the "blue" meter model holds tapes better than the green meter stock......."

ummm i wish I could help you out I don't honestly know, I wish I could send mine to you if you get a blue meter to do a side to side test, I do know the vu-meters are awesome and light up my basement

its seems the same as the debate on what marantz 4400 should you get.......a blue meters or a green meter? some say the blue is better, who knows?

If I remember correctly Q-Eight's issue was motor strength as opposed to any latching problems

Hi eyg2181 I got the $175 BIN at eBay. It is arriving Tuesday. If you still like to get rid of your Akais. I would be interested in acquiring them from you. I prefer Akai more than Technics. Jay

wait isnt the one with the 2 switches on the left side the base model unit?

if it had 2 switches on the left side and the knob on the right, it means its the japanese model I think (and yes you should pick that up, I've only seen a pic of one)

Update: I made an offer on the Technics on eBay. It was accepted for 250. The only problem is my paypal account has been temporarily frozen for a "random" security check and now I have to way for paypal to mail a letter to my house with a 6 didgit code to prove my address is correct. It's a complete pain in the ass and I sent the seller a message about it. I hope he is understanding and doesn't re-list and leave a negative. My 100% feedback rating and numerous comments about instant payments should tell them that I'm not full of shit.

hopefully he will understand, I cant wait to see what Technics version you got

at least you know that paypal is safe, I am not a fan of paying for stuff online so I am partly happy that they are strict in their regulations....just sucks for you

heres a another pic of an obscure deck that my friend bought, he got it for $20.00, I am he will send some pics of it working soon

DSC027571-1.jpg

DSC02758.jpg

I guess its designed to only play "SQ" records, it can also play pseudo quad from FM

it does record in quad? thats cool, I didnt realize, I just love pseudo-scopes and directional controls on 8 track units

I thought only the Wollensak, Akai and Panasonic/Technics had quad recording capabilities?........I wonder if Superscope made a quad recorder?, I think their parent company is marantz

I just need a technics sa 6700x, then I will have a real oscilliscope, 4 vu-meters, and directional control (I already have the technics sh-1010 quad remote so I just need a technics unit to hook it up to)

the marantz 4400's are just too expensive (and ugly, squares for buttons....they always look like they are not aligned correctly....yuck awful looking reciever in my books)

im suprised no one has chimed in about the wollensak units, its appears to be the forgotten quad deck, the 8080 looks like a pretty cool unit, with some wierd features added on (plus it has dolby reduction)

8trackman, i apologize, it has 4 channel outputs, i dont see a record button on the unit itself. just goes to show how good my attention span was at the time. and if im not mistaking, i believe the wollensak units only record in stereo. and i think they also have only 2 vu meters. ive never seen one in real life, just the base model at a flea market once, the tape speed was wrong so i passed. it was a 4 channel deck but the smaller model with no recording or vu's at all. 75 bucks... ouch!

ouch thats expensive, people selling old stuff are so funny, its always the case of two extremes

really expensive- they get pissed if you try to offer anything reasonable, tend to lie/make stuff about the unit that cannot possibly be true, i.e how much it was originally, etc....

really cheap- I like these people, hard to find

I guess your right about the Wollensak unit, you would know better then I would, I just usually hear about the 8080 model during discussions of the best 8 track decks to buy

have you seen any interesting cheapo units with fake scopes and stuff?, I've seem an H/K reciever with directional control but didnt take a pic (I guess that wouldnt be considered cheap)

That was expensive for the wollensak, but i think i did pretty decent for $250 (230.58 for the unit and 19.49 for shipping) on the Technics, providing, all new belts, head alignment & demagnetizing, and lubrication of all moving parts, gaurenteed to be in 100% working order. the payment cleard perfectly by the way, and ill have pics up as soon as it comes in the mail. and no, im yet to find any obsuure ones. butthere was an electrophonic one with the scope, not in very good shape though and no record feature... i passed for 70 bucks.

heres another cool 8 track player...........it comes with a remote built into the unit....I wonder how hard it will be to find the correct cable?

B8bzvwEGkKGrHqZk4Ez12d-KqBNBRIeuKDg_12.jpg

B8bwFwBGkKGrHqFhsEzMS6Kl1GBNBRIZcNQ_12.jpg

Maybe a photo of the back of the remote can shed some light...

Looks like a common DIN connector 5 pin 180degree. I could be wrong. If it is, Radio Shack used to have them or else a full line place like MCM online would for sure. Wired straight through as if it were plugged into the front panel .

Last edited:
My Technics RS-858DUS is here. sounds better than the akai, but as i was warned it drags on some tapes until i get it in right. the volume outputs are not leveled properly, they are (to my ears) and the VU Meters, offg a little bit. also, some tapes, especially my Tres Hombres, has a lot of static until i set it to repeat, then it completly goes away. so i have a few options. i want my Akai working properly now that i know how the 858 is. dont get me wrong, i really like it, but im a little dissapointed for 250 bucks. im not too far from reading, does the tech work on 8 track decks as well? id be willing to have my Akai gone over, have the levels set right, and get a proper alignment done. if theres anyone here who would do it for a fee i would definitly consider it... after the holidays though. its time for me to start thinking of others for the next few weeks.

after i get the akai in 100% perfect working order, i may want to get the technics done as well.

Oh... and pics coming shortly ;)

Looks like a common DIN connector 5 pin 180degree. I could be wrong. If it is, Radio Shack used to have them or else a full line place like MCM online would for sure. Wired straight through as if it were plugged into the front panel .

Unless i see the photo i'm not so sure. JVC used a 8-pin DIN that is impossible to find.

Back